Gh/kh?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Highlander
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Gh/kh?

So I tested my tap water today. I live in southern Maryland and am on well water. My GH is 2, actually even with one drop it was more green than orange. My KH is 11. PH is 7.6 Are these readings good or workable for the most part? I really don't want to have to add anything like RO but I will if I have to. I would also like to have a shrimp tank eventually so would shrimp be okay with these params? Thanks
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I WISH my tap had water like that.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Highlander
Planted Member

So I am guessing that I can house/grow almost everything with those params then?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

That is a weird, skewed ratio of GH and KH. Usually they are a lot closer to each other.
Is this water straight out of the well? Or are you running it through any kind of filter or softener?

GH is so low that I would test the Ca and make sure the Ca and Mg are both present.
If you get a fresh water Ca test and get the value, then also look up the correct formula to figure out what the Mg is.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's too low a GH for shrimp. Your kh might be a little too high also. What GH test kit are you using? The API test kit for GH is not very good. Rodi unit is always preferred when it comes to shrimp.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Highlander
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
That is a weird, skewed ratio of GH and KH. Usually they are a lot closer to each other.
Is this water straight out of the well? Or are you running it through any kind of filter or softener?

GH is so low that I would test the Ca and make sure the Ca and Mg are both present.
If you get a fresh water Ca test and get the value, then also look up the correct formula to figure out what the Mg is.
I agree that it is unusual. That's what is confusing me the most. Maybe I have a bad GH test kit. I am running it straight from the well. No filter or softener.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Highlander
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
That's too low a GH for shrimp. Your kh might be a little too high also. What GH test kit are you using? The API test kit for GH is not very good. Rodi unit is always preferred when it comes to shrimp.
After doing more research,which I should have done initially - rookie mistake, I figured that out. I plan to use a buffering type substrate like ADA or Fluval shrimp to help lower my PH and KH and use a GH booster to get to the desired amount. I am also heeding the advice of Ravensgate and starting with Neo's.

I used the API brand for GH. What brand do you recommend? I have a tds meter coming to me in the mail. It should be here on Tuesday.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
samjpikey
Planted Member

From what I have learnt most plants/livestock can where different kind of 'shoes' . You shouldn't need to worry about trying to adjust your water parameters . For example adding ro water can be tedious to some so unless you don't mind the extra 'work' then most tap(well) water is fine . Having a stable ph/gh in your tank is a lot more productive then trying to adjust things and stressing your fish . I think there are only a few species of plants that can only grow in certain parameters but the majority of the ones we like to have/grow work well in soft/hard water .
Co2/flow and distribution play a more crucial role in getting right then water parameters.
Cheers
We are meant to enjoy the hobby not stress over things
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your buffering substrate might run out quicker than usual with a kh that high. Stable parameters are definitely important, and I think most fish and plants are pretty adaptable, but I don't trust shrimp in such a low GH. Definitely start with neos when it comes to shrimp. The API GH test kit never worked for me. I use the Sera kit and like it a lot.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Highlander
Planted Member

Thanks to both replies. My current fish and my kids ADF's are doing fine in the water as is. I have tried a couple of RCS before and they didn't make it. I am not sure why. It could have been the water, even though the tank was cycled well before I tried to introduce them. Or it could have been a fish didn't get along with them in am not sure. I am just trying to get it right for them. I'll try the sera kit for GH and see what that says. Thanks again
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
Highlander
Planted Member

I just got my tds and ph meter in. TDS out of my tap(well) is 201. Both tanks have not had a water change in a week. 56g-255 and the 10g-224.

HTTR!!!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its hard to go by just the TDS results, especially when you don't know what's actually in the water. Gh is a better parameter to know IMO, but TDS is helpful for other reasons.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
Highlander
Planted Member

According to my API kit my GH is 1-2. I am going to try another kit to verify since my KH read 11
Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The TDS results look good. It is common for the tanks to have more stuff in the water than the tap (in this case, the well) water.

Yes, double check the GH and KH. Maybe both are off!

Most of the calcium, magnesium and carbonates in water (especially water that has been in contact with the ground, like well water) come from minerals like Calcium carbonate, and magnesium carbonate.
When these minerals break down, or are dissolved in water, then both the GH (Ca and Mg) and the KH (carbonates) rise.
There certainly might be some other source of any of these, some minerals that just contain carbonates, but not Ca or Mg. Or there might be something removing some (the Ca and Mg) and leaving the KH.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #15
Highlander
Planted Member

Ok. My Sera kit came in. Th dKh was the same as the API kit (11) and the dGh was maybe 3 or 4 instead of 1-2. It's hard to tell because it starts out a real light green, almost clear but gets more green with more drops. It never goes through the color changes. I guess now my only option is to find a way to lower my dKh. As I have said before, I would rather not use RO/DI water so I will looks into the other options first. Any suggestions?