Nilocg's Dry Fertilizers with shrimp tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
jlor016
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nilocg's Dry Fertilizers with shrimp tank

After a lot of thinking and researching, I really want to cut costs and try out dry fertilizers or premixed dry fertilizers. A lot of people on this forum likes Nilocg's dry fert. packages. Since, I'm guessing hes very busy with other stuff and can't reply to my PM, I want to ask other users a few questions about his products, that I asked him. I have a 10 gallon top fin planted aquarium with about 15 red cherry shrimps and 6 guppy frys.

1. I want to know if his PPS-PRO dry fertilizer package (for $20) will harm my RCS?

2. For experienced users of that package, could I dose a little more than his recommended instructions to last a week rather than everyday, without harming my RCS?

I hope someone can help me answer these questions and I'm not much of a chemistry person so I would like to avoid mixing my own dry fertilizer unless someone is nice enough to tell me a efficient recipe for a planted shrimp tank.

Last edited by jlor016; 09-12-2013 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Be more specific.
jlor016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I am not too sure how nilocg packages his chemicals, but I would assume they would be packaged individually so that you could mix them to whatever final concentration you want.

In terms of dosing, PPS-Pro will be fine for your RCS. You could even go EI, and there would be no harm.

Regarding the second point, you may be able to get away with every other day fertilization if you are using PPS-Pro, but you may not be able to. It depends on how much lighting you have.

PPS-Pro works on the basis that you are adding "just enough" fertilizers for the plants to use up on a daily basis; increasing dosage and skipping days would work, but obviously, you cannot take this to an extreme (dose an entire week's worth at once, for example).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Just picked up a PPS-Pro system off a popular auction site that cannot be named for about $14. Its enough to treat 10,000 gallons of water, or a 20 gallon tank for a year and a half. I have ordered from this guy before and have always been happy. I just searched PPS-PRO. Only one there. His seller name is spankysaquatics. I know, funny name, and hasn't been doing it for too long, but has excellent feedback, and always shipped quickly to me. Lets call the site eDay, for easier reference without being removed.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
algarciajr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks, I just ordered some to try it. $11.99 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Just picked up a PPS-Pro system off a popular auction site that cannot be named for about $14. Its enough to treat 10,000 gallons of water, or a 20 gallon tank for a year and a half. I have ordered from this guy before and have always been happy. I just searched PPS-PRO. Only one there. His seller name is spankysaquatics. I know, funny name, and hasn't been doing it for too long, but has excellent feedback, and always shipped quickly to me. Lets call the site eDay, for easier reference without being removed.
algarciajr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

My EI dry package was all separately packaged, I'd assume the PPS would be the same...so long as you don't order anything marked pre-mixed or the liquid versions which I think are premeasured into bottles.

I noticed on his visitor message wall that he moved very recently. I would suspect he is busy catching up on orders/PMs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.