Indian Almond Leaves and BGA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
ljapa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Indian Almond Leaves and BGA

Ok, this is raw speculation, and I'm primarily asking for input. Can the tannins/chemicals in leaves help control BGA?

I have a 55 gallon tank that houses a Red Eared Slider turtle and black neon tetras. There are no plants in the turtle tank because they will get eaten. That tank has an overflow that goes down int another 55 gallon acting as a refugium. The center section is about 25 gallons in volume and is heavily planted with Amazon and Brazilian sword, Hygrophila Corymbosa, Anacharis (turtle food) and duckweed (more turtle food). In addition, there's a good colony or RCS, MTS, assassin snails, and some neon tetras and corydoras.

The turtle tank is almost a year old and the refugium was set up last November.

Soon after getting the shrimp, I went out in the back yard and got some oak leaves, after reading about the benefits of IAL and that oak will work too.

I didn't grab enough. A few months ago, the last of them decayed away. I still have a month or so before I'll have new ones. Shortly after the last of the leaves disappeared, I got my first BGA in the turtle tank. I've had diatoms since I started in both. The green algae on the glass gets cleaned of the turtle tank but left in the refugium for the shrimp and snails. The turtle tank has brush algae on decorations, but there is none in the refugium. I assume it gets eaten before it can start.

No BGA in the refugium. I've actually turned off one of the lights in the turtle tank, which has helped. But I'm curious about the timing. I didn't see BGA until the leaves were gone.

Is it coincidental? I know the system is not yet a year old.

Do people using IAL/oak have BGA? Anyone else notice an outbreak after removing them?

One other possibility is that the duckweed corresponds to roughly the same time. Perhaps the lowered nitrate is the cause.
ljapa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Cokers
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

The tannins in the Almond/Oak leaves are supposedly anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and with BGA being a bacteria rather than actual algae (If I remember correctly) it might've been preventing them from growing.

5.5 Gallon College Tank
Cokers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
HuntCast
Algae Grower

I have so much tannins in my water from my driftwood, that if I miss a water change, the water looks like lemonade. Algae on my sword plant is epic, so not sure your theory is universal. Maybe there is something else in the leaves, but pretty sure it isn't the tannin.
HuntCast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
ljapa
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntCast View Post
I have so much tannins in my water from my driftwood, that if I miss a water change, the water looks like lemonade. Algae on my sword plant is epic, so not sure your theory is universal. Maybe there is something else in the leaves, but pretty sure it isn't the tannin.
Oh, I had algae before the leaves were gone, just not blue green algae, which as Cokers pointed out is actually a Cyanobacteria.
ljapa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.