Need An Opinion
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
chrispena33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need An Opinion

I'm just getting into the hobby and have been trying to read as much as I can to acquire to knowledge to not suck. I bought a 60g tank and am trying to decide on what lights I should get. I plan on using Eco Complete for my substrate and will try have a nice HC carpet with some Hemianthus Micranthemoides or something similar in the background. I've narrowed my search down to three fixtures that I think would work.

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00C7OTEVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378883089&sr=8-1&keywords=Current+Satellite+Freshwater+LED%2B http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00C7OTEVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378883089&sr=8-1&keywords=Current+Satellite+Freshwater+LED%2B

2. I can't post Ebay links, but if you search "48" Aquarium T5 HO Light 216W Reef Fish LED w/ Timer" its the third result.

3. Again, I can't post Ebay links, but if you search "T5 Quad 48" 6500K Aquarium Light Strip Freshwater Plant 216W Grow Discus Tetra" its the first result.

For the people in the know, do you guys think these would work for what I'm trying to do? I don't want to use Co2 if I don't have to because I just don't think I know enough about it to use it properly. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. You can tell what what my price point is on these.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
chrispena33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I think you would be better off with at least DIY co2 if you want to grow a nice HC carpet.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
chrispena33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
I think you would be better off with at least DIY co2 if you want to grow a nice HC carpet.
Everything I've read has said that a DIY Co2 is ineffective in a tank bigger than 40 or so gallons. At least without having 47 bottles set up. Trust me, I would love to have a Co2 kit to help my pants grow, but the complete pressurized kits that are sold are really expensive and I'm too dumb to try to put one together myself. It's like a whole nother language to me.
chrispena33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I highly recommend skipping on the HC carpet without CO2. It's really hard for HC be successful without it. I'm dong it at work in my office nano tank, and it's been a struggle. I started off emmersed and got a really nice carpet going. Since flooding it, I've struggled with algae issues and with keeping the HC healthy. It's still going, but I wouldn't ever attempt it again without CO2.

It started looking like this:

This is how the HC looks just less than 3 months later, and I dose Excel, micros, and macros every single day.

So yes, it's alive and all, but I have never had to trim it once (so it's not really growing), and it's much more thin than when I started. You can certainly have HC in your tank without CO2, I just think it's super hard to maintain an actual "carpet" without CO2.

I am probably going to start this whole tank over, because I don't really care for how it looks anymore.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think you can grow hC and let it carpet without co2. Here it is in my 20 long. I have 2 23 watt cfl 6500k bulbs. I dose excel every other day and use root tabs. No co2 is used. I started with less than 1/3 of hc you see here. This is after about 2 months of growth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130912_103612_143.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	207289  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130912_152722_252.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	207417  

Last edited by flukekiller; 09-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: close up.
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Do you have a close up? Yours looks much healthier than mine. It's possible I need to give it more light. I do know that it's hard to grow well without CO2 though.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

It's a bad idea to try a d grow HC with no co2 over Eco complete.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

added a close up. best i can do with my crappy camera phone.sorry about the snot err i mean snail on the glass he wouldnt move. as you can see not the brightest green but i can say it has flourished in growth with minimal ferts added. just excel and O+ root tabs on blasting sand substrate. and i have actually trimmed some of the leaves that were turning yellow but my maint. has been minimal the last few weeks with the new baby coming and having to switch the other kids rooms around, painting all the rooms and stuff like that. plus i also just started a 13 gal dry start tank. although it is not show quality i am more than happy with how it looks and has been growing
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukekiller View Post
added a close up. best i can do with my crappy camera phone.sorry about the snot err i mean snail on the glass he wouldnt move. as you can see not the brightest green but i can say it has flourished in growth with minimal ferts added. just excel and O+ root tabs on blasting sand substrate. and i have actually trimmed some of the leaves that were turning yellow but my maint. has been minimal the last few weeks with the new baby coming and having to switch the other kids rooms around, painting all the rooms and stuff like that. plus i also just started a 13 gal dry start tank. although it is not show quality i am more than happy with how it looks and has been growing
Nice! Yeah, I'd be happy with that too.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yours looks more likes it stretching then bunches,, possibly the light? also i dunno about your substrate as i have never used it