I feel sick!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I feel sick!

So as a few of you might now I am treating for Columnaris. My smallest gbr started showing some white spots as so did the other larger gbr that always seem to hang around each other but I thought they were sisters. So according to the directions of the treatment I did a 25% wc and moved a couple plants around. So as usual there are some leaves floating around the top and I grab them as quick as I can with the net and as usual I place the net on top of my light fixture. Then I have lunch. I come back about 15 minutes later and the bigger gbr seems like he is looking for something. So I started looking and couldn't find the sicker "sister." I move everything around looking for her and what do I find, eggs on a piece of slate!, but not her. Well I m baffled, I look around the floor, move everything, and the I think where else could she be. Check behind thermometers, sponge filter, and she isn't anywhere. Then it dawns on me. I must have thought she was one of the leaves. She was in the net, resting on top of the light fixture, dead. I placed her in the water in the net for a few minutes to she if she came back.
I feel sick. Yes, my fish have died before, but never directly by my hand.
The bigger gbr continues his search, and the Cories and other fish have found the eggs.

Last edited by jeepguy; 09-23-2013 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

*hugs* I'm sorry. Accidents can and do happen, don't beat yourself up to hard. You didn't do it on purpose and maybe you saved her a long drawn out painful death.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Thanks. I am thinking a little bit she might have died during the water change and was just floating lifelessly which made me think she was a leaf, but I think that might just be making feel less bad. I guess I have learned to check my net everytime. I have enjoyed the pairs behavior the last couple days, always swimming together. Feel bad for him now too just searching. I imagine he will forget soon.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
caique
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I feel your pain, not fun.

I did a substrate change and left my fish all in buckets one of my rainbows had jumped out and I didn't see or hear anything then I hear something wiggling on the floor and look to see 2 rainbows on the floor so I picked one up put him back in the water and the other one must have been sitting there for a while and was dead, cried like a baby.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I once stabbed and killed one of my fish when I was feeding frozen food off a pointy wooden skewer. So yeah, stuff happens. But you're right, she could have already been dead and floating in the plants.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I too feel your pain.
Bad stuff occasionally happens to all of us - we just have to try not blaming ourselves and forgetting about it. There will be a better day tomorrow !
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

it happens,, it was not intentional. i recently cut a shrimp in half while i was trimming my DHG
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.