Questions about lily pipe intake
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Boondock saint
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Questions about lily pipe intake

I have a quick question for you all. I have a 75 gallon tank with a Fluval 406 filter. I purchased a set of lily pipes and the intake is the typical design where there are slits in the glass toward the bottom.
Are these openings sufficient for optimal flow for the filter? The stock intake seems less restrictive but I would like to use the glass one for a better appearance. Also, the glass intake only reaches a little more than halfway down my tank. Will this hurt anything?
Basically I am asking if anyone knows if the glass lily pipe intake would reduce flow due to the smaller slits, and if it is necessary for it to reach to the bottom of the tank.
Any help on this would be appreciated! Thanks!
Boondock saint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
MissileBear
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Any intake that is not just an open tube is going to restrict flow. I've known some guys that cut off the bottom of the intake and use a pre-filter sponge or a SS prefilter in place as they feel it less restricting.

As it sits the intake should do just fine. There are enough people that use them without ill effects. I've found the glass intake tend to clog quicker than the conventional style plastic intakes, so keep an eye on it.

Concerning the placement of the intake itself, this also should not matter all that much. As long as you have adequate water circulation in the tank, your filter will do its job. If you are getting dead spots in the tank, try changing your return position or add a powerhead(s) to ensure proper water circulation.
MissileBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Boondock saint
Algae Grower

Thanks for the insight! I was thinking of cutting the bottom off and doing something similar. Although for now I am going to stick with the stock Fluval intake, the more I stare at the glass one the more it looks like a complete pain to keep clean.
Boondock saint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
exv152
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been using glass for a while, and comparing the flow of the stock vs the glass, I didn't notice any difference. Cleaning it can be easy, just pass the python vacuum over the slits and it should be fine.
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.