Need help with TEK fixture
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Need help with TEK fixture

http://www.aquacon.com/T5Lighting_Su...yTekLight.html

i have this fixture, the bulb seems to flicker sometime and sometime they work perfectly fine, stays on all day. my best guess is that problem is due to sockets, but i could be wrong. i am thinking about replacing the sockets to see if that would solve the problem.

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-121...t-sockets.aspx

i was thinking about getting these but not sure which one to get? non-shunted or shunted sockets?
  • Program and rapid start ballasts require non-shunted sockets.
  • Instant start ballasts require shunted sockets.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

The Tek fixtures have a instant start ballast. I have a Tek 4x54 and a few weeks ago added a Tek retrofit and it came with a Fulham Workhorse 5 ballast which is a instant start ballast so I was a little confused as I always thought that T5 HO were suppose to use a rapid start ballast but after talking to a rep and a few people on the forum I was told that a instant start ballast works for our applications in the aquarium hobby because the lights are not being turned on/off several times during the day which can shorten the bulb life. With that being said I would use the shunted socket. These are the sockets that came with my retrofit kit.

http://www.aquacave.com/T5-Waterproo...1ct-P1166.aspx
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
LonghornGardens
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just replaced both ballasts on mine. I have the 6 x 24watt. It was easy to do and I remember looking at the sockets and thinking that I was glad I didn't have to change those. I will have to change them one day so I too am interested in which sockets need to be used.
LonghornGardens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
plant.one
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

from what i remember they use shunted sockets, but please dont hold me to that - its been a long time since i had to double check the info with sunlight

if you want to be absolutely sure of which socket you need you can contact sunlight supply directly

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/t-contact.aspx

creating a 400x100 image from a 120g tank can be tough!
plant.one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.