Atomic inline diffuser questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
tony098
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Atomic inline diffuser questions

Hi, for those who owns this, do you put a check valve before the diffuser? The $2 plastic check valve works fine for my DIY co2, but do I need an expensive one to work with high pressure in a pressurized system. My bubble counter already has integrated check valve, but I think more check valve doesn't hurt

Also, if the co2 line is removed from the inline diffuser (during tank refill), does water spill out the co2 inlet hole? My diffuser is running inline with Eheim 2080

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
tony098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
aquabruce
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yes, put a good check valve made for co2 between the diffuser and the bubble counter. Not a cheap plastic one.

No, the water will not spill out when you remove the tubing for a co2 tank refill.

When I have to fill my co2 tank I unscrew the top of the bubble counter leaving the co2 tubing with the check valve connected to the diffuser in place. That way, in case any water did decide to spill out it would be stopped by the check valve
aquabruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

+1
Without the check valve as above, the water will come out of the co2 connection on the inline atomizer.

v3
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
tony098
Algae Grower

Thanks aquabruce for the idea of leaving the check valve + tubing during tank refill.

What check valve do you recommend?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
aquabruce
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

GLA has a couple. They used to have a metal one for 9.99. It was out stock last time I bought one so I got the plastic one.

Looks like they have a new high-pressure one out now.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-resistant-tubing.html
aquabruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
tony098
Algae Grower

If I use multiple check valves (say 3), do they affect the CO2 flow? In other words, do I need to crank up the working pressure on the regulator?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony098 View Post
If I use multiple check valves (say 3), do they affect the CO2 flow? In other words, do I need to crank up the working pressure on the regulator?
No. You'd probably be better off with just a couple though. 3 is overkill.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I haven't had water come out of the diffuser when I have had the co2 line off for a few hours. I did make sure to put a towel under it. My glass in tank one will start filling up with water pretty quickly.

I haven't had a much higher failure rate with cheap airline check valves with CO2 compared to nicer ones. If you are using more than one (I personally use 2), they are normally OK in my opinion. I stopped using them except for temporary use with CO2 however.

That said, I do recommend you get a brass check valve with barbs. I had a few ADA check valves and found that over time my airline hose would pop off at the higher working pressure the Atomic diffusers need. The smooth plastic on the ADA (similar to airline ones) just couldn't grip the hose enough over long periods of time.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Omegatron
Algae Grower

Im using a couple of cheap check valves with pressurised co2 for almost a year now, they are made from plastic and i have no issues with them.

I am using a check valve between the bubble counter and the inline atomizer. Better save then sorry imo.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote