75 Gallon Adventure
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Mjolnir1982
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

75 Gallon Adventure

So hello everyone, this is my first planted tank and so far I have had fun creating this mini world.

So let's go step by step here.

Pic 1 First let me say that this was a well established tank before I ever thought of doing a planted tank. I had a fully grown oscar and a half grown texas cichlid in this tank for a year+.

Pic 2 This is Rhino, he is a fully grown (12+ inch) rhino pleco. He was the only one of the three that I hadn't yet donated when I started this little project.

Pic 3 This was my tank about a week ago. I got rid of the standard gravel and added in river and quarry rock that was maybe 3 inches deep. Added plants and didn't do much in the way of research. The water is cloudy due to dust from the quarry rock because this pic was taken just after completion of adding the rock in. I also had a two bulb T8 shop light with a 40 watt Glo-Flora and Glo-Power lights. Also left the old Marineland single bright LED light on the back edge of the tank to just add more light.

Pic 4 This is my tank as it sits now. I have done my homework and with a little help from the great people here on plantedtank.net I was able,after doing some amazingly time consuming work, to remove all the gravel and add miracle grow potting soil and then the rock back on top. I changed the shop light out from a two bulb and added a four bulb T8 with the two original bulbs and then added a Glo-Aqua and Glo-Sun to cover the spectrum fully. That gives me 2.13 watts per gallon.

So now I have a few inhabitants in the tank in the form of about 20 or so guppies that where originally bought as feeder fish for my oscar that he never ate. So my colony of live fish are feeders. Hopefully on Monday I will be adding a decent size colony on RCS along with some new plant and grass.

If anyone see's anything I need to change or has any suggestions please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00094[1].jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	181490  

Name:	CAM00096[1].jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	181498  

Name:	CAM00098[2].jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	181506  

Name:	CAM00109[1].jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	181514  

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I like how your tank is looking, the large (it looks large) substrate is interesting.

You might want to consider adding some more plants, especially fast growers and/or floaters.

The rocks on the left, did you test them with vinegar for fizz reaction? they look like the same rock I had trouble with a long while back.

Keep posting pics!
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Mjolnir1982
Algae Grower

They are old limestone rock that I had in the tank a long time ago. Never had any problems with them and hope I don't now. I have more plants on the way and hopefully some floaters as well. The substrate is actually a mix of small river rock and 3/4 to 1 inch quarry type rock. Same stuff you might see in a gravel driveway. I like it because it looks like a real lake or river bed.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
Mjolnir1982
Algae Grower

Well it has been awhile and so far the tank has become a machine for growing plants. I have added some CRS and some floaters to the tank as well as an ivy that I thought wouldn't grow very well but to my amazement it is growing almost out of control. Thanks for all the help from everyone and I will post some pics up here soon. Also planning on doing a DIY sump system to add a little more water and allow me to get the heater and a few other things out of sight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.