whats the key importance to c02 injection?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
sirfishmaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ok so from what i have researched, the key to greast c02 absortion is to keep the c02 in contact with the water as long as possible right?
i have turned a small submersable filter into a reactor? stands upright and water enters through grate at bottom pump is on top. water flows up first through a hole at top, then travels down a chamber and flows through the bottom back up again through some small lava rocks and finally out the pump into the tank. (follow me?) ok well just above the grate i melted a small hole through the plastic, inserted tubing from DIY 2ltr. gas bubbles head up to the top and gets stuck in the first chamber. as gas builds up in there the water starts to push bigger bubbles down the second chamber through the lava rocks breaking up the bubbles, then some small bubbles makes it out the pump right away after flowing through the lava rocks, but at the top of where the pump sits there is a pocket, here the gas gets caught again (but still in contact with water) untill enough gas forces some air back out the pump. i have been watching for days now, and wanted to know is this working? am i successfully disolving the bubbles?

doug sorry for the novel
sirfishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Sounds like a good CO2 reactor. As long as you don't see much of the CO2 escaping in the outlet of the filter, then most of it is being dissolved in the water.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would say one ov the obvious advantages one would get from smaller bubbles like in the plant ladders is the increased surface to volume ratio, allowing for greater absorption...

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote