The case of the missing minnows!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

The case of the missing minnows!

I work at a LFS and I'm responsible for ordering the fish and plants. Lately we've been going through a ton of golden white cloud minnows. By a ton I mean 24 a week.

Here's the issue... they arn't being sold. They are dissappearing overnight the day after we get them in. They can't jump out, with the exception of out the front of the tank and we'd notice 24+ dessicated fish corpses laying on the floor. They can't get stuck in a filter, there are grates covering all intakes, and the output is a nozzle style they wouldn't fit in let alone be able to swim against. They aren't hiding in any of the decor.

The only thing I can imagine is that they are being eaten by something else in the tank. Here's whats being housed with them:

Assorted small danio
Blue Botia loach
Black Khuli loach
Yoyo loach

The only ones big enough to eat them would be the blue botias, but even they seem a little small. Not only that, why would they eat the minnows and leave the danio?!?! Plus 24 minnows would have the botias stuffed beyond capacity, and the botias look completely normal. the khuli and yoyos are all tiny.

So is it the botias?
kal_daka87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

One word. Theft.
pwolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

My friend used to work at an Lfs in the town I grew up in... He would make deals with friends. He was just a cashier...
U cud give him $20 cash for him and he would take u around n get what u want and he would legibly pretend scan some high ticket items for sale becuz they have a camera and people would pay about 10% of what they actually are supposed to...
The missing items wouldn't be in sales report but there also wouldn't be anyway to catch him... But he got caught after a almost a year. He hooked up a person who was close to the owners. The next morning owner showed up with all the items that weren't paid for. My friend got fired.

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Its not theft. Im 100% positive of that. As I said they are vanishing overnight. They are in the tank when I lock up at night, and gone the next morning when I open. I'm the last person out of the store and the first one in. So unless there's some high tech criminal that can copy store keys, and bypass alarm systems just to steal some $2 fish out there....they aren't being stolen.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

How are the tanks divided. Just partitions with slits. Maybe squeezing through to the next tank, and next tank, until they get eaten.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
How are the tanks divided. Just partitions with slits. Maybe squeezing through to the next tank, and next tank, until they get eaten.
Nope. Solid wall dividers. Besides the only tanks they'd be able to slide through if there were slits contain assorted small barbs. Not likely to make snacks of minnows practically the same size as them.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

Set up a webcam on em!
pwolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
jwh0818
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)

Do y'all have critterz gettin loose?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A that u have three choices left, theft, which u say no, but I still think so, or they are getting sucked into the filter. If the cant jump, cant squeeze through divider, the loaches would have huge stomachs or be dead if they ate 24 of them. I like the webcam idea. Post a pic of the tank maybe. Might help.
Maybe aliens have developed a taste for minnows!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe the minnows were misplaced???

Finnex member #14
Old 09-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think they are getting sucked in the filter or eaten too. No way that many fish just disappear. You are the VERY first on in the morning?
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sucked into the filter is hard to believe too because usually only sick fish will just sucked in. If the filter was that strong to suck in healthy fish then fish would be missing from all of the tanks. I think a close up picture of the tank and a good inspection, or thorough cleaning and emptying might reveal the answer.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Templaflower
Algae Grower

Another question would be how big are the loaches, and how small are the minnows? If they are tiny juveniles rather than close to full sized adults... well that might be asking for it with the larger species of loaches. Admittedly I'm not well versed on non-kuhli species of loach, but I know some can get to predatory sizes. I would definitely think you would see happy round bellies on those loaches though, after minnow feasting.

As for the theft issue- come on now folks. Sure it's possible, but if you were of a criminal bent, would you be taking the cheap white clouds, or would you be taking the expensive plecos and cichlids? If the OP isn't seeing other mysterious disappearances, theft is probably the least likely option.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Templaflower

Haha... Well as for a cheap item... I manage at my job.. U would never guess someone was stealing 30 gallon trash bags until the next week when it's a full box without bags under a brand spanking new box full of bags. Little things get taken everyday.... Sometimes the cheaper items are the less obvious ?

But maybe that's not the case here.

Finnex member #14
Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Templaflower
Algae Grower

Well, as the OP is the last out and first in, and the alarm hasn't been tripped, it doesn't smell like theft to me. I worked retail for a long time, and I saw my fair share of theft- internal and external. I'm more of a mind to bend towards equipment or predation. I do think, that a night of video surveillance after the minnows come in would help determine exactly what's going on.

You are sadly right though Charrr89- people do the stupidest things, like stealing bags. Pathetic, and why would you risk your job to do something like that, and yet it happens.