Advice on stocking this tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #16
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

While talking about CAEs, is it better to keep just one?

I see mine realy seems to dart at the smaller brown one, which hides alot from the big one...

Ultimately its the timid little dwarf gourami who keeps everyone in their place and gets em all to go about their business and look busy

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 03:46 PM   #17
Neil_L
Algae Grower

I like the sound of sunset Angels, but wouldn't they get too large for my tank (30 litres)? I think my LFS has some Gold Gouramis, but I'm not sure. I think this Saturday is purchase day, so we'll see what we get

Incidentally, it's a shame I can't go marine yet, my LFS has a huge square live coral/anemone tank. They have a hilarious Yellow Tang whizzing around the perimeter of the tank. If he isn't sold by now i don't know what would be

3 Neon Tetra
5 Black Widow Tetra
1 Peppered Cory
2 Rainbow Angelfish
Neil_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:10 PM   #18
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

30L won't do for angels...

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank

Old 01-21-2004, 04:40 PM   #19
Mori
Wannabe Guru

yes, that's a little tight for angels. 30l won't be good for CAEs either, i suspect.

Nordic, I kept two CAEs of the same size (probably from the same egg clutch) and they seemed to enjoy playing with each other. But it was a large tank and they could avoid each other if they wanted. When I took one away to live in a different tank, they didn't seem to miss each other.
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:19 PM   #20
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just cant make out if its playing or not, sometimes they can go on chasing each other from leaf to leaf (kinda like musical chairs) for quite a while....

5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank

Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #21
Neil_L
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori
yes, that's a little tight for angels. 30l won't be good for CAEs either, i suspect.

Nordic, I kept two CAEs of the same size (probably from the same egg clutch) and they seemed to enjoy playing with each other. But it was a large tank and they could avoid each other if they wanted. When I took one away to live in a different tank, they didn't seem to miss each other.
That's what I thought. Unfortunately, what with still being at home, a bigger tank is out of the question. I think I'll have to go with that school of tetras.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:09 AM   #22
Neil_L
Algae Grower

I added 5 Neon Tetras and a male Betta, all inmates are getting along fine. The Peppered Corys are doing a great job of cleaning the detritus from the bottom; even the shy pair of Red Dwarf Gouramis are putting in a few appearances

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:33 PM   #23
Mori
Wannabe Guru

that sounds good. I love seeing bettas in tanks, where they belong. They're purty when they have space to frolic.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:02 AM   #24
Neil_L
Algae Grower

The Betta was a great addition, he usually hangs around at the front of the tank. I think the other inmates are becoming more active to stop him stealing all the limelight

I might get a little Eclipse Explorer tank for the GF, if I can persuade someone else in the family to clear a space for it, as I'm already overflowing with plugs Is it true that Goldfish have trouble with sand? If so, in what way?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #25
Mori
Wannabe Guru

Goldfish like to redecorate by picking up the substrate and spitting it out. You'll never get stinky gas pockets under gravel in a goldfish tank. The idea behind sand being bad is that they'll end up swallowing and passing sand when they try to pick it up and it will wear out their insides. I don't know if it's true or not. I am inclined to believe the danger is exaggerated.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #26
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hehe, looks like you're set with the tank inhabitants. I was gonna suggest a honey dwarf gourami as a smaller yellow/orange fish. The males get this beautiful coloration and the fact that they're small and are peaceful makes them a great addition for the smaller tanks.
Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:45 PM   #27
csfish
Algae Grower

...or gold barbs...
csfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #28
Neil_L
Algae Grower

Well, despite all these, it still looks fairly empty. I might add some more Neons in a few weeks, once the whole thing is well established.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #29
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, what is the fish tally at the moment?

I'm sure your tank can still take a load more tetras...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:36 AM   #30
Neil_L
Algae Grower

I have 2 small Peppered Corys, 1 male Betta, 5 Neon Tetras and a pair of Red Dwarf Gouramis. There's also the Goldfish (see the Mystery Fish thread) that hitched a ride on a plant, but he's getting his own eclipse explorer soon.