Where do you get not-crappy plywood?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Where do you get not-crappy plywood?

I'm not the handiest person and I don't have much experience with carpentry, so I don't know where to get wood other than home depot, which has home depot pine, also known as "the most warped crappiest wood in the world." I finally have some time this weekend, so I'd like to work on a canopy for my 55g. I don't need redwood or maple or anything, just something that will stay straight. I only know of one lumber yard around here, any thoughts?

EDIT: just realized this was the wrong forum, should be in the "local" forum
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
dwstonebraker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would look for an actual lumber store in the area. I like menards myself, but do not know if you have one that far north. Good lumber is hard to find, especially plywood.

The Goodeidae Foundation - Founder
American Livebearer Association - BOD - Webmaster
Circle City Aquarium Club - Webmaster - BAP
dwstonebraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
dmbProducts
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Lumber/Wood

Two years ago I built a "framed" top for my 125g and purchased the wood from Home Depot it turned out well.
Home Depot and other stores sell lumber in grades so be careful when you select yours, ask the floor rep for a better grade wood, less knots better grain.

Wood and moister don't work well together, and the moister in new wood needs to climitize to your surroundings. Once the wood settles in (72 hours) you should be able to begin your project. However, before ever placing RAW wood above an aquarium IT MUST BE SEALED, so paint/stain then seal and seal again.

The key points are GRADE, Climitization, and Sealing. Do those and you should be fine.
dmbProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
jinx©
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Lowe's usually always had better lumber in my opinion, and better staff.

Not sure what building plans you have, but have you considered using tongue and groove boards for your canopy?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
susankat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Tell them you want cabinet grade lumber. It's mainly birch but not as expensive. I know I use to work at HD
susankat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 AM   #6
jinx©
Wannabe Guru

[Edit] Just wanted to clarify that when I said Lowe's staff was better than Home Depots...I meant better than all of Home Depots staff except for that one gal that used to work at the Tulsa, Ok Home Depot...lol

susankat has a good point though. The birch veneer plywood is reasonable and is furniture grade if you pick your piece carefully. Takes stain really well.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
htn86
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

What's wrong with pine? I use pine to build all my diy stands and they turn out fine. Pine degrades faster than other woods, but with a nice coat of polyurethane and you'll be all set.
htn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
jinx©
Wannabe Guru

I dont think anyone was really knocking pine htn...I think its more along the lines that its difficult at times to find a good sheet of pine plywood IMO.

The cabinet grade birch veener is usually adhered to a pine or spruce plywood anyways

I'm assuming that he's most likely going to use pine for the framing of his canopy.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
susankat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Oh I know how the employees are at HD, Why do you think most of the customers got mad when I walked out.
susankat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #10
jinx©
Wannabe Guru

lol...I believe ya...I used to joke that they needed "Please Tackle An Orange Vest For Assistance" signs

(Ok sorry...back to your regularly scheduled program)
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Do I need to seal it? I realize that moisture is an issue, but I've never really worked with wood apart from rigging some really ghetto science projects. Is it difficult to do it correctly? (I figure it's just like painting, but to have it look ok is pretty difficult too).
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
steve worcester
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any wood should be sealed.

If you are using plywood, even marine grade plywood should be sealed. The problem with plywood is there are alot of different grades, from what the beauty and species is on the top to what wood, how many plys and what glue is used to put it together.

Look for "real" lumber stores in your area and call them to see if they carry Baltic burch or apple ply. They have many more layers and are far more dimensionally stable. Be warned that plywood isn't the same thickness it used to be. Depending on country of origin, it may be metric or at least undersized. Additionally, Baltic birch is usually 5'x5' for a full sheet, not the US standard of 4'x8'.
steve worcester is offline   Reply With Quote