A Match Made in Heaven: 12g Long & Current LED+ (OEBT feeding video page 9) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #31
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,292
Default

Your tank is beautiful as usual. Nicely kept and tidy. Planaria sucks... hopefully it was just that one (usually not the case). If not, Fenbendazole works like a charm. Anyway... if it were up to me, I think your tank is definitely dual or pro ramp eligible in that contest.
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #32
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Jack Gilvey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jersey, USA
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Start of the fourth week update


So much...stunningness.
__________________
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Jack Gilvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #33
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Your tank is beautiful as usual. Nicely kept and tidy. Planaria sucks... hopefully it was just that one (usually not the case). If not, Fenbendazole works like a charm. Anyway... if it were up to me, I think your tank is definitely dual or pro ramp eligible in that contest.
Thank you! Does the fenbendazole have any negative effects on the tank? At least the planaria was easy to spot since the tank is relatively small. It would be nice to get one of those timers, if not though I'm kinda looking forward to geeking out and building one along with the dosing pumps from AnotherHobby's journal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
So much...stunningness.
Thanks!
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #34
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (423/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,230
Default

Absolutely love your tank.

But seeing it perched on that ledge is panic-attack worthy!
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Absolutely love your tank.

But seeing it perched on that ledge is panic-attack worthy!
Thank you!

Haha, yeah I could see how it may have that effect. Originally I was going to have it come all the way to the end but wasn't comfortable with the risk of bumping into it coming around that corner. I had a sheet of plywood cut to the footprint size and screwed it into the top of that banister to level and secure it, there's also a placement mat between the tank and wood so it's not quite as precarious as it appears. No kids running around to mess with it either.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #36
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Does the fenbendazole have any negative effects on the tank?
Not that I know of... I've used it twice to knock out planaria and hydra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
It would be nice to get one of those timers, if not though I'm kinda looking forward to geeking out and building one along with the dosing pumps from AnotherHobby's journal.
Yeah I've been following that build too. Super nice! Those controllers and all the coding it entails is more than what I care to tinker with at the moment. Plug n' play for me! Haha
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #37
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (423/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,230
Default

Thank goodness! Because... hoo boy... FEAR and PANIC.

Can't wait to see how this great tank continues to develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Thank you!

Haha, yeah I could see how it may have that effect. Originally I was going to have it come all the way to the end but wasn't comfortable with the risk of bumping into it coming around that corner. I had a sheet of plywood cut to the footprint size and screwed it into the top of that banister to level and secure it, there's also a placement mat between the tank and wood so it's not quite as precarious as it appears. No kids running around to mess with it either.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

The ceramic co2 diffuser was irritating me, I can't stand bubbles all over the tank and it was noisy so yesterday I decided to rebuild and recommission an old Rex reactor.

I didn't think the injection through the brass barb was completely ideal so I placed two small o-rings around a roughly 1.5" long piece of co2 tubing, then super glued that on the inside part of the brass barb to extend the injection point to the center of the water flow inside the reactor. I found a can of "hammertone" Krylon Fusion at hobby lobby on clearance for three bucks, I think it turned out kind of nice.

I blasted hot water through the reactor with a python for an hour after letting the PVC glue and paint dry for two hours outside before hooking it up. I added activated carbon to the tank to absorb any acetone that may be leaching into the water, I also put some purigen in the filter the day before.. the stuff is amazing.




I also added four new Threadfin Rainbows, two male and two female, for a total of seven. The new ones are huge compared to the original batch. Two more ember tetras were also added to create a group of five.

Here's a shot of the tank in the daylight, the lights are off, I apologize for the nasty reflection.. even a circular polarizer wouldn't help. I removed some of the hydrocotyle on the sides, you can see the carbon bag on the right.



Took a few more pics of shrimp the other night, hand held with off camera flash.







__________________

Last edited by zodduska; 09-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: edit
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #39
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

One month update time!

I just got in the Eheim Skim350, I was having trouble with surface scum.. ran an airstone at night helped a little but didn't clear it completely. I'm very impressed with the Eheim unit, very well designed and smaller than I expected. I thought long about where to place it in the tank without it being too much of an eye sore, I didn't really have many options on the equipment end as the heater takes up most of the width of the tank at the back.

Here's the new found surface clarity in video form (HD):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6EY...ature=youtu.be





Here you can see the output of the skim350, added circulation over the heater and pushes expelled surface gunk towards the filter inlet.




Received the GLA wave scissors the other day so I put them to use by trimming some of the taller staurogyne as well as the HC, here's a couple updated full tank shots.





Downoi is finally coming back from the dead.. zombie downoi!



Thanks for looking!
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #40
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,292
Default

I like that eheim unit, pretty darn neat! Great pictures as usual. I'm getting my GLA aquascaping tools tomorrow. I'm excited to try them out.
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #41
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
I like that eheim unit, pretty darn neat! Great pictures as usual. I'm getting my GLA aquascaping tools tomorrow. I'm excited to try them out.
The Eheim really works great, it even skims shrimp! Haha, just pulled two of the dumb buggers out. I knew it would happen eventually but at this rate they'd all be piled up in there by tomorrow afternoon. I had tried some plastic mesh drawer liner from IKEA but had some trouble, the design is very well balanced, not much room to mess with it. After finding the imprisoned shrimp I gave it another go.. The spillways are now partially blocked and it seems to be sucking more from the surface itself creating a small vortex- like depression. Whether this reduces the rate of shrimp incarceration remains to be seen.

The GLA tools are nice, I think it was your thread where I saw the blowout prices so thank you for that.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #42
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Whether this reduces the rate of shrimp incarceration remains to be seen.
Well it didn't

This morning a shrimp was caught upside down on the mesh with his tail sticking up above the water, he was fine. Two more were inside on the sponge. At least I figured out a way to remove them without pulling the unit: I powered it down, pulled the float off and squirt jets of water inside with a pipette until they swim out.. pretty quick and easy, not sure if I want to deal with this every day though. I'll try to come up with a better solution, anyone have ideas to share?
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #43
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Well it didn't

This morning a shrimp was caught upside down on the mesh with his tail sticking up above the water, he was fine. Two more were inside on the sponge. At least I figured out a way to remove them without pulling the unit: I powered it down, pulled the float off and squirt jets of water inside with a pipette until they swim out.. pretty quick and easy, not sure if I want to deal with this every day though. I'll try to come up with a better solution, anyone have ideas to share?
Oh this is an unforeseen problem I didnt think would happen. I'm interested too as I have shrimp in my tanks.

What is the purpose of your surface skimmer? Just to get rid of that layer of surface scum or also for small clipping of plants? If its just the scum, maybe something like a stainless steel ring around the sides similar to that of your inflow? Or panty hose?

Let me know what you end up doing.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #44
zodduska
Planted Member
 
zodduska's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Oh this is an unforeseen problem I didnt think would happen. I'm interested too as I have shrimp in my tanks.

What is the purpose of your surface skimmer? Just to get rid of that layer of surface scum or also for small clipping of plants? If its just the scum, maybe something like a stainless steel ring around the sides similar to that of your inflow? Or panty hose?

Let me know what you end up doing.
Pretty much just to get rid of the surface scum. Thanks for the suggestions, stainless steel mesh might work but I don't have any, panty hose won't allow enough water to flow through it. I'm going to try cutting up a small fish net this evening and attaching it to the outside edges of the float to see if that works, if I double it up I think it'll be shrimp proof.. as long as the flow is okay and the shrimp don't climb over it.
__________________
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #45
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Pretty much just to get rid of the surface scum. Thanks for the suggestions, stainless steel mesh might work but I don't have any, panty hose won't allow enough water to flow through it. I'm going to try cutting up a small fish net this evening and attaching it to the outside edges of the float to see if that works, if I double it up I think it'll be shrimp proof.. as long as the flow is okay and the shrimp don't climb over it.
Maybe when h4n gets back from his honeymoon he can make a custom cap for the skim350. If he does let me know so I can order one too haha.

Small fish net or one of those loofa bath things may work too.

You could also maybe use a stainless steel strainer to cover it (I don't know how big that strainer portion is though)
__________________
[60F]
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012