Arghh snails!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I put two assassins in my 75 to control pond snails. Now I am starting to see baby assassins! I have MTS in my smaller planted tanks to keep the soil aerated.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
maggiemoo03

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have about 4 zebra loaches and they seem to do the trick. I haven't had a snail breakout in years :-) Also, you might be feeding too much if the population has exploded. Reduce feedings to 2-3 times a week and that will help starve out the snails. It also keeps the loaches hungry so they will eat the snails faster.

Hope this helps!
maggiemoo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #18
inkmaker

Flubendazole will kill the snails and not harm plants or fish. It isn't a pesticide either. It is great stuff killing Hydra as well.

Charles H
inkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #19
The Ugly Guppy
Algae Grower

If your not against having shrimp in your tank just get a few american glass shrimp and they'll clean up your snail population completely. My LFS sells them as whisker shrimp and I've seen them sold as american ghost shrimp, but apparently they are all the same.

They are actually pretty fun and full of personality, although I'm not sure what they can and cannot be kept with with respect to other critters. I keep them with amano shrimp and otto's with no problems. I even put one in a nano tank with a colony of cherry shrimp for a few weeks. No shrimp loss that I noticed and not a single snail left. Of course it was well feed for the few weeks so that might be why it left the cherries alone.
The Ugly Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
snowghost45

I had a golden dojo loach that took care of my snails until I had a mean tiger barb kill the loach. LFS told me most loaches will do the trick and they are peaceful critters.
snowghost45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #21
angelcraze
Planted Member

In my 90g, I don't want pond snails, don't know what I have against them, could be my mom's over ridiculous infested tank, but I also take out any egg sacks when I added my single assassin, and hardly have any. I will give it a month or so of keeping a close eye, but I see one about once a week. Any other snail, like a prettier one, (like the red ramshorn) that doesn't reproduce as quickly, will out compete the pond snail for food, that's another option.

It's true, the MTS snails keep the substrate spotless and aerate the substrate. Snails are not all bad, I would not resort to chems myself, I am a naturalist, or try to be, and plan to add nerites once the pond snails are out mostly and remove my assassin.
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
laurenjane
Algae Grower

I've decided to embrace the snails for now... I definitely don't overfeed as I don't feed my corys again until they eat everything on the floor. I think the original snail has come in on one of my new plants. (will be definitely cleaning and checking plants in the future) If things get out of control I might have to get one of those assassin snails!! I don't really want to add anything more than the corys in a ten gallon as I already have four of them and a soon to be betta in there. I think that's probably enough...
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
benjaminleebates
Algae Grower

YOYOS! nuff said!
benjaminleebates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #24
eme012
Algae Grower

Default snails, snails, snails

I had one clown loach in a 20l tank and the snails kept coming. Since then I added another clown and 3 black khuli loaches and I see no more snails. The black khulis have had babies after one month. They don't seem to bother the plants at all. I keep the plants potted in a glass baking dish with soil substrate topped with pea gravel and rocks. All the fish love live plants and play around them. Sometimes the clowns dig up a small amazon sword but there's enough big ones that its no big deal to the ecosystem. The snails are still there I'm sure but no more population explosions. I have a 10l tank planted and the shrimp have brought the snails under control there. The snails only get to about .5cm in diameter so they are not really a bother.
eme012 is offline   Reply With Quote