Arghh snails!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
laurenjane
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Arghh snails!!

I've just woken up to a tank full of baby snails!! There must have been a snail on the plants I bought last week. I've heard that you put lettuce in the water and just pull them out later.

I'm kind of skweemish so there's no way I'm pulling them out by hand! I've just gotten used to putting my hands in a tank full of fish!! Will the lettuce get rid of them all or am I destined to be on snail population control forever ...

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nope. You're gonna have snails unless you use a pesticide.

A lot of people have come to love the snails for their ability to clean up.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Once the population stabilizes they're not really noticeable.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
SunDevil76
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just got a single Assassin Snail not even a week ago and the snail population has dropped considerably. The lil guy has been on the warpath apparently. You can do that and get one if your LFS carries them or you can have it shipped to you. Let em do the dirty work for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

The snails are fine as long as you don't over feed & get an explosion (like I did!).

I was squeamish about squishing them but got over it (mostly).

I apologize to them right before I do it
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
laurenjane
Algae Grower

Love that Zoragen!! I did a 90% water change today (cycling and original filter just died so it was gross) so I managed to syphon out quite a few and put rubber gloves on and picked out a few.. shudder!! There's still a few in there so I'll let them stay and hopefully they will join the clean team. I'll just have to keep an eye on them I guess.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

If you don't have shrimp, you can kill them. If you have shrimp and don't want to kill them, you'll have to learn to live with your snails. They do a great job keeping things clean. Get some assassin snails to keep them in check.

You'll be fine. It took me a while to accept my fate as well.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've dealt with MTS explosion in one tank and Ramshorn explosion in my other tank. I RAOK'd a bunch as well as giving some to a couple of local friends. It's not a huge deal. I consider them a good gauge of my feeding accuracy. If you do feel the need to get rid of some, put them in a covered bowl and leave them in the freezer for a while. Or do the assassin snail thing and watch a predator in action. IT'S THE CIIIIIRCLE OF LIIIIIFE!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
angelcraze
Planted Member

Just a word of warning though about assassins, they can breed in the aquarium too. It takes two specimens, but I have a growout tankful of probably 300 assassins. They eat all the high protein leftover foods my fry don't eat, plus any unwanted snails from my other tanks go into the assassin tank, which they make very quick work of. They remind me of zombies crawling slowly out of the ground, it's like they can smell the prey, and gang up on them from all different directions. I find them to be pretty snails, and kindof like them. But I keep a single assassin in tanks I want to rid of pond snails, so as to not get an assassin snail population explosion in all my tanks.
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
ChuckinMA
Algae Grower

Clown Loaches do a great job of controlling (or eliminating) snail explosions, and are very entertaining fish. I had the same situation you described in my 75 gallon tank, and within 3 days of adding two Clown Loaches, all the young snails were gone. Clown Loaches do get large over time (years, not months) so you'll want to ensure your tank is big enough.
ChuckinMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
wynkwood

I actually bought a dozen MTS because I wanted to keep my substrate cleaner and I always heard they would do that, keep it aerated and also eating left over scraps and poo. In the 4 months I've had my 10 gallon tank going, I've not once siphoned the gravel bed. I just do regular water and filter changes. I actually have 4 varieties of snails in the 10 gallon (guppy nursery tank); MTS, 1 volunteer pond snail, 2 mystery snails, and 2 ramshorn snails. They don't pose one single problem with me, in fact they are what I consider to be my sanitation department and help keep the tank cleaner, IMHO.

In my 20 gallon long tank I have no idea how many MTS I have. I have read so many seemingly horror stories of them taking a tank over. While I have seen a small population of new very small snails, after all these months they are still not out of control. In fact I hardly ever see them.

I have heard that the populations will explode if overfeeding, so I don't really get why I haven't experienced this "plague of snails" because I really do give my water critters a lot of food every day.

I've actually grown quite fond of my snails. I even ordered some Orange Poso Rabbit Snails from Bob's and I can't wait for them to arrive.

P.S. I've tried putting a piece of organic romaine lettuce in the tank overnight just to assess my numbers but that trick doesn't seem to work for me. All I have is soggy lettuce in the morning and no snails of any kind.
wynkwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
livebearerlove
Algae Grower

I recently went on vacation and came back to a population spike (from zero to 40 or more). Check for rotting plants, (food, etc).

I took out all the egg sacks I could find (basically taking the tank back to bare), and killed everything visible for 2 days. Then got myself an assassin snail- works like a charm!
(couldnt use chemicals because I have shrimp), what we are doing is setting up a little ecosystem, so it is always best to go the natural way rather than chem.
livebearerlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have a quarantine tank I keep running & have 1 zebra nerite and a bunch of pond snails in it.

I put the first batch of pond snails that appeared in my 20L in that tank & since it only gets a little fish food now & then to help keep the cycle going I only have a few in there.
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

dwarf puffer will work wonders. Plus they are very fun to watch.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
John Simpson
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckinMA View Post
Clown Loaches do a great job of controlling (or eliminating) snail explosions, and are very entertaining fish. I had the same situation you described in my 75 gallon tank, and within 3 days of adding two Clown Loaches, all the young snails were gone. Clown Loaches do get large over time (years, not months) so you'll want to ensure your tank is big enough.
I wouldn't use clown loaches because they tend to dig and knock stuff around also they get big, there's other types of loaches that are more planted tank friendly that will do the same job like the zebra loach or Burmese botia, there's lots of cool looking botias that work
John Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.