Cycling: When to start testing water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
jaekwong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cycling: When to start testing water?

I’ve recently set up my new tank. Early in the fishless cycling process.

I understand the process can take up to 4-6 weeks (or more) but was wondering when should I start testing for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates.

Also what are the readings that I am looking for?

I figured since I’m still early, and doing tonnes of water changes, there’s no need to test this early.

Thank you

Last edited by jaekwong; 09-04-2013 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: adding information
jaekwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
GoKingsGo
Algae Grower

Are you doing fishless or fish in cycle?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hi there, I'm going through a "fish in" cycle myself in my 12 Long with Aquasoil which I planted and flooded on Friday. I picked up liquid tests for Ammonia and Nitrite yesterday and to my surprise both were already high off the charts when I tested last night. FWIW I'm using an Eheim 2026 with no seeding other than plants.
zodduska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
jaekwong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo View Post
Are you doing fishless or fish in cycle?
Sorry should have mention - fishless with plants cycle
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
GoKingsGo
Algae Grower

I finished my first fishless a few months ago, and at the beginning, just test for ammonia daily. One day after about a week or so, maybe longer, your ammonia test reading will show a drop. Start testing for nitrite as well as that is the reason for the drop, dose your ammonia back to whatever PPM you are aiming for once daily, and keep waiting. Nitrates aren't important to test for until the very end as they need to be around 10PPM or lower once the fish go in. Hit Ammonia & Nitrite 0, Nitrate under 10 good to go. Just test for another week, do your water change to bring nitrates down the day before adding fish, should be all set.

Why are you water changing so much if it is fishless? No need to do changes unless your cycle stalls, you are personally uncomfortable with very high readings, or the PH gets wiggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekwong View Post
Sorry should have mention - fishless with plants cycle
And sorry I see you did mention, I missed it.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-04-2013 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
GoKingsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
jaekwong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo View Post
I finished my first fishless a few months ago, and at the beginning, just test for ammonia daily. One day after about a week or so, maybe longer, your ammonia test reading will show a drop. Start testing for nitrite as well as that is the reason for the drop, dose your ammonia back to whatever PPM you are aiming for once daily, and keep waiting. Nitrates aren't important to test for until the very end as they need to be around 10PPM or lower once the fish go in. Hit Ammonia & Nitrite 0, Nitrate under 10 good to go. Just test for another week, do your water change to bring nitrates down the day before adding fish, should be all set.

Why are you water changing so much if it is fishless? No need to do changes unless your cycle stalls, you are personally uncomfortable with very high readings, or the PH gets wiggy.

And sorry I see you did mention, I missed it.

You say that i should dose ammonia back to a level - thing is i dont dose any ammonia. Im just depending on the old medium and aquasoil to leech ammonia in the water.

As well I'm doing frequent water changes as a preventative measure for an algae bloom