Moss covered floor?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Misti
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Moss covered floor?

I am considering adding some moss Christmas or Phoenix moss to my tanks and let them cover the floor with moss. My concern is cleaning and upkeep. What are the considerations I should take into account before doing something like this. I just ripped out a bunch of water Wisteria because it got out of control, so wanna be sure I think all these through before adding.

Last edited by Misti; 09-04-2013 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: corrected
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

You could definitely do that. You could cover rocks with the moss and have it held down by thread, hairnets, or glue. When the moss needs trimming you could simply remove the rocks trim/clean and put them back in. The trick with moss is really having your water very clean so debris doesn't pile up.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Misti
Algae Grower

cool, here are some examples of what I was thinking of
http://pinterest.com/TheBabeShop/aquarium-ideas/
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Actually none of those examples are moss. They are actually very small stem plants that rooted into the substrate. but you could use moss on rocks as I mentioned or a type of mesh.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
wrm130
Planted Member

Moss, in my opinion is highly over rated. The trimmins, no matter how careful you are, end up going everywhere and attaching to things and in places you dont want. If you really want a carpet maybe consider HM. Its fairly undemanding and can be started floating.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
John Simpson
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

yea, those examples are of glossostigma and what looks like HC, very different from xmas or Phoenix moss, the problem i think with trimming a moss carpet is that the trimmings tend to sink as opposed to glossostigma or HM trimmings that will float to the top so you can just scoop them out, the moss can get a bit messy

also the moss carpet will be a much darker green than those examples with glosso and hc which are brighter neon green, you wont get the same pop, a dark green that low down in the foreground wont have the same impact.

you should think about riccia, it is a moss that's bright green and the trimmings float
John Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Misti
Algae Grower

Default Thanks all

ok thanks for the tips and advice. ok so the moss would be good for doing rocks or like the tree that I wanna do but for the carpet, hmmm not sure I wanna have to mow the aquarium so to speak. The Ricca looks interesting but what is HM? sorry knew to all these lovely plants
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
yea, those examples are of glossostigma and what looks like HC, very different from xmas or Phoenix moss, the problem i think with trimming a moss carpet is that the trimmings tend to sink as opposed to glossostigma or HM trimmings that will float to the top so you can just scoop them out, the moss can get a bit messy

also the moss carpet will be a much darker green than those examples with glosso and hc which are brighter neon green, you wont get the same pop, a dark green that low down in the foreground wont have the same impact.

you should think about riccia, it is a moss that's bright green and the trimmings float
OK quite simply Moss is for beginners and riccia really isn't. Most here would agree if your new to this riccia will get everywhere. It makes no difference that it floats. Trust me I have a lot of experience with each and there is no comparison. There is even an "I Hate Riccia" Thread here because people can't get rid of it. I enjoy both, but have more experience and don't have a problem with either. Moss is quite simply the easiest plant to have in your aquarium both from a maintenance standpoint and a growing standpoint.

Moss does look amazing over rocks and to create hills, but no reason you can't use it for a foreground. Here's one of mine I did a while back.

Shimmering Hills by naturalaquascapedesigns, on Flickr
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Misti
Algae Grower

wow gorgeous! It looks a little full for my Angels though I think? I would still like to know what HM is. What kind of Moss is that you are using there? Do you just let it grow? or does it need "mowing"?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
wrm130
Planted Member

HM is hemianthus micranthemoides.

And I would actually advise against using Riccia as it does not attach and will eventually grow out and float. It does make for really cool looking floating islands though. And shrimp love to hang upside down from it for some reason
Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
John Simpson
Planted Member

HM is Hemanthias Micranthemoides, it can be used as a carpet mid ground or background, its very easy to grow, it's native to the US, I used HM in my first planted tank a few years ago as a carpet here's a vid of it :
my mtv cribs style music video lol
Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
John Simpson
Planted Member

*hemianthus micranthemoides that's the proper spelling sry, people also call it Micranthemum Micranthemoides, slang; pearl weed, giant baby tears, baby tears
Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Misti
Algae Grower

thanks! cool video! ok I know them as Babys Tears. My friend and I were actually looking at getting some dwarf babys tears, would that work? if so would it need trimmed or does it stay pretty short? I appreciate you all answering all my silly questions lol you guys are being a huge help.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Misti
Algae Grower

hmm the floating islands dont sound bad and I am going to be adding some ghost shrimp but I suppose a few plants at a time lol
Old 09-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Misti
Algae Grower

What about this? Is it an HM? http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=3037