led light planted 40b?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

led light planted 40b?

Which would be the best led light for a 40b planted i have some swords and crypts in the mid to back. I am currently running a quad T5ho with only two lights on at a time. 39w 36in quad oddysea T5ho. I am looking at the finnex planted+, finnex 24/7, current led+, up to other opinions as well. Really only need to light up the back half with good light.
rebelbuck1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
mrbigshot
Algae Grower

just keep what you have, its adequate for what you have planted. and the depth of the tank
mrbigshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigshot View Post
just keep what you have, its adequate for what you have planted. and the depth of the tank
The reason i am getting rid of it is its 3years old and the ballast on one set just went out and the other will follow soon. Also the lights are due for new bulbs and my led moon lights are out. It would not be worth the cost to fix. I would be looking at 30$ a ballast and bulbs with the led moons are over 100$ i can get a finnex planted plus for 110$
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbuck1993 View Post
The reason i am getting rid of it is its 3years old and the ballast on one set just went out and the other will follow soon. Also the lights are due for new bulbs and my led moon lights are out. It would not be worth the cost to fix. I would be looking at 30$ a ballast and bulbs with the led moons are over 100$ i can get a finnex planted plus for 110$

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...t-p/56426p.htm
This is about "2 bulbs" worth..
Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 AM   #5
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Quote:

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...t-p/56426p.htm
This is about "2 bulbs" worth..
I saw that when i was looking to fixing mine up. Only reason i am weary is the way their customer service is non existence. Also if you buy it and somethings wrong you are out of luck. Where i know finnex and current have very good customer service.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 AM   #6
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I saw that when i was looking to fixing mine up. Only reason i am weary is the way their customer service is non existence. Also if you buy it and somethings wrong you are out of luck. Where i know finnex and current have very good customer service.
topdogsellers... on the bay..
Old 03-27-2015, 03:26 AM   #7
dru
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Would you say that would be 'medium' light?

Ok for no pressurized co2?
dru is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 03:46 AM   #8
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Would you say that would be 'medium' light?

Ok for no pressurized co2?
I don't think it is "quite" medium, but fine for non-CO2 tanks..
There isn't a lot of reliable PAR data on the 1W versions..
@ $60 it is a pretty good start though..

DIY using quality emitters (and more than likely 2X more efficient) would cost like $160...

As I said, 2 bulbs worth which is not "medium" either..

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...t-p/56546p.htm

The 3W-ers are probably a good medium..
Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

Bumb anything else. I already have a light from aquatraders
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
mrbigshot
Algae Grower

1w would be medium to high on a 40 breeder being only 18" tall. 3w without the lenses maybe but thats still really bright. if you plan on planting the whole tank your going to need a second fixture. one will be plently for now.

i have a 42x1w 36" beamworks fixture and it grows great down to 22" without the optics on it.
ill get a 40 br next week when petco puts them on there $1 a gallon sale.
mrbigshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigshot View Post
1w would be medium to high on a 40 breeder being only 18" tall. 3w without the lenses maybe but thats still really bright. if you plan on planting the whole tank your going to need a second fixture. one will be plently for now.

i have a 42x1w 36" beamworks fixture and it grows great down to 22" without the optics on it.
ill get a 40 br next week when petco puts them on there $1 a gallon sale.
Only actual PAR measurement would contradict that. Personally I believe that is a bit in error, or due to the partitioning of the light or placement of the sensor. anyways I don't think it is that bad. nor as high as you think..

(SNIP).. Finally realized (by my great reading comprehension) that the 1W PAR readings were for a 12 diode 1 row submersible bar.. AFAICT there are no easily found 3row 1W Led Beamswork PAR measurements

You know I never looked to see that that one is 1 row????

Part of it is what do we define as medium?

Bump:
Quote:
I already have a light from aquatraders
Why aren't you using it?? Or getting another?..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-27-2015 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: correction
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

I do like this interpretation..
Quote:
A General Guideline

If you put five aquarists in a room and ask them to each define low light, medium light and high light you would no doubt get five completely different answers.

To help bring some sanity to the process of ordering light fixtures for your tank, we’ve created four freshwater light levels we believe are reasonably accurate definitions of what most freshwater aquarists think of when they talk about different light levels -- and what they use on their tanks. Because saltwater tanks tend to use much higher light levels we have created a separate set of definitions for saltwater use.
Freshwater Light Levels

Ultra High Light is usually only used for scientific or horticultural research purposes -- it is typically not advisable to use this light level in a freshwater home aquarium environment. If you believe you require this level of light e-mail us at: sales@buildmyled.com.

High Light. We define this as a level of light that can be used in heavily planted hi-tech tanks where CO2 injection is being used. In all conventional sizes of tank this level will provide the PAR needed by light hungry plants and, when used in conjunction with a fertilization schedule such as EI, CO2 injection and an appropriate photoperiod you will see thriving plants and high growth rates.

Medium Light. We define medium light as being most suitable for lo-tech planted tanks (with your preferred fertilization schedule) and soil tanks. The “medium” light level provides enough PAR that almost any plant will thrive -- though growth rates (speed) will be limited by the absence of the CO2 injection found in a hi-tech tank. That said, it is also perfectly acceptable to use medium light with CO2 injection -- in which case plant growth rates will be higher.

Viewing Light is for situations where the aquarium owner does not intend to use CO2 and wants an aquarium where they will be able to observe fish and easily grow lower light plants such as java fern, mosses and Anubias -- all of these should thrive under this light level.
now all we have to do is associate numbers w/ it..
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #13
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

My T5HO odyssea is a aquatraders light. Nuff said they do not last and customer service is zip zilch zero. I will spend the money for warranty and customer service
Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #14
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
My T5HO odyssea is a aquatraders light. Nuff said they do not last and customer service is zip zilch zero. I will spend the money for warranty and customer service
I gave you an alternate on flee bay. topdogsellers is quite accommodating..
I'd probably never mention aquatraders but forum rules do not allow me to post alternates..
t5 quality is not LED quality..
BUT I do understand your POV...
I may not buy a Beamswork LED from aquatraders but it wouldn't stop me from buying one somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.