LED lights that can be disconnected from their power supply
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

LED lights that can be disconnected from their power supply

I'm looking for LED lights that can be controlled by a Neptune Apex thru a 0-10V signal but all the ones that come like that out of the box are either very expensive or have the wrong spectrum for plants.

So I'm thinking of getting a light that can easily be disconnected from its power supply and insert a 0-10V PWM dimmer that can be cheaply found on no ebay links allowed

I know the Current USA Satellite Plus can be disconnected but this will be going on a 90g so I would need at least two, probably three of them. I believe the Satellite Plus Pro and the Ecoxotic E Series can also be disconnected and are stronger lights, but their plugs seem to be a special 5 prong type which so far I haven't found a source for.

Are there any other lights that I could consider for this? Or maybe someone knows where to get this special 5 prong plug for the Satellite Plus Pro or E Series.

The goal is to add a 0-10V dimmer without making any modifications that would void the warranty.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Build my led lights can be disconnected from the power supply. You can buy dimmers for them. I think they can be run with a controller also, you should check.
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
webskipper
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Go with Kessil Tuna Suns.

The Apex has Kessil ports.

Kessil also told me that the Color knob is just for the human eye, the plants still get the full range of color. This makes the Kessil my favorite.

One Kessil Tuna Sun will cover a 24" cube with ample PAR. Per Hoppy's PAR meter.

Haha what an unsolicited plug for Hoppy DIY LLC!

-PhilipS

Mr3, Mr11, Mr12, Mr17, Mr30, and Mr30
webskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
I'm looking for LED lights that can be controlled by a Neptune Apex thru a 0-10V signal but all the ones that come like that out of the box are either very expensive or have the wrong spectrum for plants.
0-10v dimming is a poor way to control lighting.. That said, as you found out 0-10V "out of the box" dimmable lights are not cheap nor easy to find..
In fairness neither is PWM dimmed lights that don't already come w/ a controller...
buildmyled are "Apex ready" with of course the same "no dimming under 10%" restriction common in 0-10V dimming.

Kessil is one of the few that still use this "archaic" technology.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
nayr
Planted Member

buildmyled mc series will dim to 0%/Off
Old 04-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr View Post
buildmyled mc series will dim to 0%/Off
Pretty sure that is because they now use Meanwells w/ multiple dimming options.
They WILL dim to zero using the PWM input..
doesn't count w/ the APEX AFAICT:
Quote:
The guys at Neptune said the program looks fine, but you should be able to dim smoothly from ~15% light output to 100%. I will have Randy take a look at this program tomorrow.
Quote:
Please note that Meanwell drivers typically have a minimum input intensity of 1V or 10%, they should not be programmed to start/end at 0%, but 10%
I "believe" you need to plug the light into a switched Apex outlet to get full off..
Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
nayr
Planted Member

Guess I'll test that out when my BML MC series gets delivered, I have a DIY driver that can do 0-10v and PWM.. they havent shared much info on this, so I suspected I would be figuring it out on my own.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Guess I'll test that out when my BML MC series gets delivered, I have a DIY driver that can do 0-10v and PWM.. they havent shared much info on this, so I suspected I would be figuring it out on my own.
there new controller does both:

Quote:
What is the Output Type and how is it changed?
The output type is either an
analog voltage (0‐10volts)
or a digital signal (PWM).
The default is to use an analog voltage,but you can select
the Output type item from the Main Menu

Hmmm.. I maybe incorrect about their drivers. They may have just stuck w/ 0-10V

Quote:
Hi Mark. All of our drivers are 0-10V (analog) dimmable.
Nick
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
nayr
Planted Member

Yeah from what I could find there controller does Digital (PWM) and Analogue (0-10v), but Ive found nothing that says the MC series will take a PWM input.. I suspect it might.

They do advertise that the MC series can dim to OFF, and dont state it needs a PWM capable controller to do this.. Ive not seen anything to contradict this, only that >0%-4% shows visible pulses so its not much use in that range.

I have one of these:

On a BeagleBone Black, it takes four PWM outputs and converts them into 0-10V outputs.. among other things.
I just am waiting on the lamp to get here.. too little info out there right now and there response time isint so great right now.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yeah from what I could find there controller does Digital (PWM) and Analogue (0-10v), but Ive found nothing that says the MC series will take a PWM input.. I suspect it might.

Quote:
Product Features: 0-10V Dimmable Driver (Dimmable from 100% to 10%). Compatible with these controllers: Apex, Reef Keeper Lite and Reef Angel -
http://www.buildmyled.com/mc-series-...ed-tank-6300k/
Old 04-10-2015, 12:48 AM   #11
nayr
Planted Member

yeah but that page looks identical to the XB series, and in there own demo videos it shows them dimming to off.. but it does not say how and if only that is done through PWM.

I seem to have read people dimming lower than 10% even without there controller, so I suspect that product page is a copy/paste.. it says nothing about the multichannel at all.

oah the pains of being an early adopter, this info will be simple to find out eventually I am sure... I found several threads people asking these same questions with no direct answer.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for suggesting the Build My LED fixtures, however, I'm not really liking what I've been reading about them. Everyone says they have great customer service but I've read a handful of comments about their quality not being the greatest. Here's one review that really turned me away from considering a BML fixture: http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...4-fixture.html

Thanks,
Harry
Old 04-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #13
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
Go with Kessil Tuna Suns.

The Apex has Kessil ports.

Kessil also told me that the Color knob is just for the human eye, the plants still get the full range of color. This makes the Kessil my favorite.

One Kessil Tuna Sun will cover a 24" cube with ample PAR. Per Hoppy's PAR meter.

Haha what an unsolicited plug for Hoppy DIY LLC!
If I could afford them I definitely would but I can probably get six of the Satellite Plus for the same price as two of these.

Thanks
Harry
Old 04-10-2015, 04:56 AM   #14
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

The Current and Ecoxotic stuff uses IR for the controller so you will have a very hard time finding anything that will interface them with an Apex.

A nanobox mini flare with O2's LDD to Apex board will dim to 0.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.