Budget moonlighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Freemananana
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Budget moonlighting

My CFL lighting is doing fine for the day time photoperiod, but the instant on intensity is a bit startling for the fish. Anyone have some cheap moonlights (or something similar) I can hook up to come on before and after the main lighting to add a transition for the fish?

I'm sure there are threads on this, I actually remember some. But what I am typing into the search bar isn't working out for me.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
ac0xr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well I've never done anything like that, but I sure would like to when I do an LED build! However when I am searching for things the search function on the forum here never seems to turn up what I am looking for, so I use google. Just enter your search terms followed by ' site:plantedtank.net like this. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...lantedtank.net

Hope it helps you out! BTW I love your 75g! I've been following along and I really like the sump setup you have. I hope to do something similar on another tank in the future.
ac0xr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Midnighttide102
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not sure exactly what your looking for but I use current moon lights plugged into a timer they come on 10 min before lights out and go off 15 min after lights on they are fairly cheap and the nice thing about them is you can link a few together if you need more then one I have 2 on my 30 gallon do a search y'all find them easy Current USA moonlight

Bump: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/led-retrofits/lunar-lights/
Midnighttide102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
theatermusic87
Planted Tank Obsessed

If youre just looking to cut down on the shock to the fish, a room light on a timer near the tank should create enough ambient light to be a sunrise/set justset the timer to come on 15 minutes before lights on and off 15 minutes after. You could even have it turn off when the main tank lights are on to save energy.

If youre looking for a true moonlight, my personal favorite is a green led a 1k ohm reisitor and an old 5v phone charger... cheap and I like the green over the blue
Old 05-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Freemananana
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac0xr View Post
Well I've never done anything like that, but I sure would like to when I do an LED build! However when I am searching for things the search function on the forum here never seems to turn up what I am looking for, so I use google. Just enter your search terms followed by ' site:plantedtank.net like this. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...lantedtank.net

Hope it helps you out! BTW I love your 75g! I've been following along and I really like the sump setup you have. I hope to do something similar on another tank in the future.
I have been tempted to do my own LED build, but just haven't either haha. I do the site:= thing myself most of the time. I just couldn't get the wording right.

Thanks! The sump setup is starting to come around. It has been difficult in certain areas. Just don't get a sump that is the same length as your tank unless you plan on doing a custom stand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Not sure exactly what your looking for but I use current moon lights plugged into a timer they come on 10 min before lights out and go off 15 min after lights on they are fairly cheap and the nice thing about them is you can link a few together if you need more then one I have 2 on my 30 gallon do a search y'all find them easy Current USA moonlight

Bump: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/led-retrofits/lunar-lights/
I saw these and unfortunately they were like $12 each and I'm not sure how many I would need. I think I may go with some of the LED strips and make something similar to this though. I like the idea though, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
If youre just looking to cut down on the shock to the fish, a room light on a timer near the tank should create enough ambient light to be a sunrise/set justset the timer to come on 15 minutes before lights on and off 15 minutes after. You could even have it turn off when the main tank lights are on to save energy.

If youre looking for a true moonlight, my personal favorite is a green led a 1k ohm reisitor and an old 5v phone charger... cheap and I like the green over the blue
There isn't really anything near the fish tank and it is in a weird spot to have a light too. I would prefer a tank only light within the hood of my tank.

I think I may go with something like your cheap idea. Just one of the LED strips with a 5v phone charger on a timer to come on before/after the main light.

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to go with some sort of LED light/strip on a timer. I'll have to figure it out though. Not a problem.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

On a 75 gallon, you could possibly use something like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Tingkam-lights-UnderWater-Lighting-Aquarium/dp/B00IHVAW4S/ http://www.amazon.com/Tingkam-lights-UnderWater-Lighting-Aquarium/dp/B00IHVAW4S/

I have a 30cm version that I used for a while as a main light for my 5 gallon. It is a decent low-light at very close range (a 5 gallon is only 10" tall), but 20" up, it isn't very bright.
mattinmd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Midnighttide102
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Freemananana pm me your shipping info I have a led moonlight I will send you I use to use it on my cichlid tank but have since bought a new led light with build in moonlights so I don't need it any more Just need to dig it out if you want it let me know
Midnighttide102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
ichy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

How about just cheapo RGB LEd strips from [Ebay Link Removed] They sell 15M for about $15 and comes with a remote. I use them to backlight my aquarium.
Super easy to use.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=868233
ichy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Freemananana
Wannabe Guru

That is pretty neat. I may have something similar hanging around, so maybe I will give that a shot. I think I have some LED strips lying around that I may be able to get working for this. If not, I'll go with something pretty similar to that. A small light just to slowly shift into a higher light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.