Excellent article on today's youth:
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
jread
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm sure all of you have seen this, know people in this group and I'm sure that a lot of people on this board are even IN this age group. This article (long) describes what's going on with the majority of suburban children these days:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=36598
jread is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Wow, this is a really interesting article. Makes you feel out of touch to not realize much of this is going on - but it helps explain why kids these days are the way they are.
I guess the question is - what can be done to slow the downward spiral or even reverse it?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Everyone wants to be part of the trend or the in crowd. Either that or they are part of the "other side," those anti-trend groups. I don't know if there's much we can do about it. The best thing I can think of is to instill them with morals and ideals and ethics while they are young, be a parent and a friend. I dunno, just my thoughts.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

I sense a strangly Christian tone to this article, counting out the trigger terms; alien desire, malevolent dimension, demonic.
WorldNet Daily must be a Christian outlet.

IME, it is the ultra-Christians who are the most concerned about peer-pressure and conformity. In teaching their kids to accept the church's authority without question, the danger is that any other authority that presents itself might be just a easily followed.

Training a child to examine ideas critically and to feel free to take a controversial view based on independant judgement is just too risky when you base so much on the literal Bible. I find it fascinating.

anona, the outsider looking in
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
jread
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
Training a child to examine ideas critically and to feel free to take a controversial view based on independant judgement is just too risky when you base so much on the literal Bible.
I completely agree with that. I didn't sense the "christian tone" in the article but it may be there.

My parents did well to explain things to me when I was young instead of just saying, "If you have sex, you're going to burn in hell".... "If you do drugs, you're going to burn in hell". They just explained to me the possible consequeces and let me make my own decisions.

My christian peers, though, were the ones who tended to end up pregnant or into drugs during highschool.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Dad has to learn the truth then teach it to his family fast and at an early age.

If you dont have a standard of measure, by what do you measure by?

I have 3 daughters of my own, one in college and 2 in high school, doing something I didnt have the opportunity to do. no family is without its troubles mind you,

If "Dad" would stay home and love his wife and children like he should and teach them the truth then the world would be an even better place, but before he can teach it he has to learn it and live it.

The truth is only debatable, if you don't know what it is or understand it.

who are you?
where did you come from?
why are you here?
what is your purpose while your here?
do you even have a purpose?

Men/ Dads are to busy cheating lying and being totally selfish to be effective in the world they live in, all the people they come in contact with and there children

My parents left me, my bro and my sis when we were young, I'm now 42 self employed, and my wife is back in college I love my family I had to learn the truth once I had my family because we were headed no-where fast.

If you a man, and your messed up, your a messed up man, and if your a messed up man and you have a family, you have a messed up family. do the math, check the perams

Raising children is kind of like aquatics, there has to be balance, or you will have "algea"

but if you dont understand how it works then its trial and error, and this is what we see. :roll:

I'll stop now.
WfxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #7
Matthew_Machine
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

I started reading this article out of boredom.. and after reading a few articles, i just skimmed the rest. I just want to know, what has this article said that is so significant?
Matthew_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:45 PM   #8
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

IMO the best a parent can do is educate and inform and when they are still young, ie not capable of understanding the consequences of their actions, gently punishing them for what is wrong. Kids are going to do what they want, overprotective parents often push the kid to want to do what their parents consider wrong. Parents that aren't strict enough are letting their kids think they can do anything they want without any ill consequences. Their is a median one must find to become a sucessful parent.

Kyle
Old 01-15-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Willms
Everyone wants to be part of the trend or the in crowd. Either that or they are part of the "other side," those anti-trend groups. I don't know if there's much we can do about it. The best thing I can think of is to instill them with morals and ideals and ethics while they are young, be a parent and a friend. I dunno, just my thoughts.
I told my kids when they reached middle school that sometimes it would seem that they were different from everyone else and this may make them unhappy and they might feel alone.

I told that that when they felt this way, it is because it is true, they *are* different... and so is everyone else.

I said that most kids try for years and years to be "like" everyone else, but of course that is impossible. Some people, when they are in their 20's or so, begin to understand that being different is being unique, and unique is a very good thing.

So, by realizing their different-ness and cherishing it, my kids are way ahead of the game. But, it was lonely, because not many other kid were there yet.

I told them, eventually the "crowd" of kids who are working so hard to fit in will realize that they value uniqueness too, but don't expect them to learn it quickly.

I think it gave my kids the strength to stand on their own two feet and not be swayed by the madness of crowds.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:02 PM   #10
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread
My christian peers, though, were the ones who tended to end up pregnant or into drugs during highschool.
Well, plenty of my not-particularly-Christian peers did the exact same thing. Stupidity crosses religious barriers for sure!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:21 AM   #11
jread
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread
Well, plenty of my not-particularly-Christian peers did the exact same thing. Stupidity crosses religious barriers for sure!
How right you are!
Old 01-16-2004, 02:36 PM   #12
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I didn't sense a Christian tone. It is just coincidental (or not) that the author has similar moral values to that of a Christian. Most religions and codes all share similar moral values, dating back to Hammurabi's codes, with plenty of minor exceptions.

For the most part, one generation has a hard time understanding the next because it is easy to forget what it was like not to have your own identity. You were just your parent's kids and that was that. But I think the dilemma we are seeing today is more than just parents being out-of-touch with their children.
Now there is money to be had. And financial motivation will do unbelievable things. I think that is the point of the article. The youth of the day have always seemed like a bunch of degenerates, but now it is profitable for corporations to bring more shock value and more degeneration with each passing year.

And those who stand up and say "Nuh uh, not gonna happen." are labeled as "prudes" or "judgemental" or, even worse, "Christian". Being a Christian these days brings you less imparted credibility than not.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #13
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

There has ALWAYS been money to be had.

To see the perfect example of the marketing strategy discussed in the article, go back to KISS (a favorite band of my 58 year old brother-in-law as a teen -- in fact to this day he is a total fan of the group). There was an interview on the radio with Gene Simmons (?) of KISS who explained how the group came up with the "shock rock" that was the hit of the children born in the late 40's and 50"s, it was a pure marketing strategy born of the long lines seen at the horror show playing at the local theater -- people LOVE to be scared silly was his observation, so let's make this band really scary looking. KISS continues to this day to be a master of marketing and makes no effort to hide the fact.

Because of those sorts of stories, I find it *really* hard to get concerned about "today's kids" because that hasn't changed. You know punk was invented when I was a kid, I can't believe it has lasted this long. Rap certainly added a new low with the gangsta lyrics, but I find it interesting that as these rappers have kids, their attitude about that is changing.

Maybe because I lived through all that in the 70's and 80's I have a hard time getting all worried about it spreading to the "dissaffected youth of suburban America". Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Most of us turned out alright, some didn't. You couldn't have stopped us if you tried, and they did try you know.

It is all too easy to get a hot and bothered about "the youth of today"... unless you actually spend a lot of time with kids like I do. I know so many highly accomplished kids, it really makes my head spin, so many who are excellent students, amazing athletes, doing good works in the community.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #14
ginnie5
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5

<IME, it is the ultra-Christians who are the most concerned about <peer-pressure and conformity. In teaching their kids to accept the <church's authority without question, the danger is that any other <authority that presents itself might be just a easily followed.

Not all christians teach their kids to blindly follow anyone's authority. We regularly question things we don't quite agree with. Anyone who says peer pressure is not a major influence on kids imho has their head in the sand. I remember it was a major influence on me, was on many of my friends and on dh too. I have 4 dd's and they have been taught to question everything that they feel is wrong. One example of our questioning the authority of the church is a bible study that is currently going on for the teens at our church. It is one that I suggested, but because of who is teaching it and the way that all of the youth relate to this person my dd's are not participating in it. It is on a subject that I feel is too important to be taught by this person. The kids don't like her or the way she teaches, therefore they tend to just sit there and tune out everything she says. I tend to be very outspoken on how I feel and what I think so yes people do know that there is a problem with this but unfortunately no one is willing to do anything. I think that is the whole problem everywhere...if we have children we should take the responsibility to raise them....not entrust that to the state or the church.
Ok, off my bandwagon here. This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart, and like I said I tend to be outspoken. :-) Hope I didn't offend anyone!
ginnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #15
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Yeah, it's the same ole same old, in some respects, but you can't deny that things are still at an all time low. The violence and sex that kids are not only exposed to, but responsible for, is unprecedented. We can point fingers all day, but each generation seeks to outdo the previous, and I don't even want to know where this is going to end up.