Plants you have trouble growing - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
sadchevy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Watersprite, wisteria, and java fern all give me fits. Waterprite does great for a few months then just slowly disappears. Wisteria just stays, no new growth, no lost leaves, just does nothing. Java fern will grow new leaves and plantlets, but never increases in size.Like it just replaces what it loses.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
norbot
Planted Member

Downoi. I bought some from petsmrt and it took all of 2, maybe 3 days to disintegrate into the water column. I know of transition melting, but the downoi has vaporized into oblivion!

I put a small chunk of it in my emersed and even that seems to be struggling, never had any problems growing anything emersed before downoi....sheesh!

What do you want from me pogostemon helferi?!!!

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Moss. Any kind. I have tried Christmas and fissdens twice. No go. Of course, I put a scrap of fiss in a half pint DHG container I have on my windowsill, and ignored it totally, and it seems to like that.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
idleivey
Planted Member

I can't seem to keep Java Ferns alive. They just turn brown/black and die on me.
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Pinnafold? dont remember proper spelling. Its melted 3 times already, as soon as its in my tank, it just dies.

atm Im having trouble growing rotala mini type 2 and mini butterfly. type 2 is growing slowly but Im seeing its transformed version, which means its not happy. The mini butterfly is transforming too to mac green. Ill have to wait and see if they get better. Im giving them 100+ PAR atm with Ei and co2.

I have not been able to grow those "soft water" plants. Ive had a few species of the spiny, soft stem plants but they just melted away.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post
This. I have an established stem now and it's still alive but it's my 3rd attempt at this one. Damn things just keep turning soft and dying. I also couldn't keep moneywort alive. All 30ish stems wilted and died.
I got a bunch of that one time and investigated about it and it needs bright light.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
jeffdenney
Planted Member

Anubias afanzeli... dont know why. Co2 is 5-6bps. Dosing ei. And about 120par since it is raised from the substrate a little.

25 gal.-api renastart xp1 anf xp2- 2 custom spraybars with diy inline heater and water change valve (so key!)-odyssea-4x24w t5ho. 4in raised.-injected co2 via up inline diffuser-florite and sane substrate.-java fern-amazon sword-marsilea minuta-water wisteria (crappy)-dwarf hair grass-anubias afanzeli (spellcheck)-telanthera cardinalis-10 tiger barbs-6 glofish tetras-7 otocinclus -1 german blue ram. females died.-2 albino corydoras. I know need 6
ei dosing and 6 hours light 100%
jeffdenney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #23
Positron
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm currently in the midst of reading Ecology of the Planted tank. Allelopathy seems strong with some plants. For instance, I've noticed that DHG melts other foreground plants that it's runners and other part of the plant come into contact with directly. Now, obviously all plants in the aquarium let off chemicals, but some seem to be more toxic than others.

If you are having trouble growing a species in one tank, try moving it to a different tank. HC in my big 40g tank doesn't do well, but in a lower tech cube it grows slowly, but doesn't die.

Oh and by the way...I still have yet to grow HC truly well.
Positron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #24
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

HC. My last little plant just disappeared about 2 weeks ago. Everything else is doing well or ok.
Nightspell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
sdbrewer
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Staurogyne repens.

I pamper it like no other, but it does not like to play ball with me.
sdbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #26
MrCain
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Say what? I've had a nearly two inch thick layer of duckweed in my 65 before...

But, I can't keep alternathera reineckii, spell check please... Lol

I couldn't even rescue it by transitioning to emersed growth... Straight melted away...
Iron, iron, iron! That's what I've noticed A reineckii really seems to need to fill out and look gorgeous (see pictures)

I had no problems growing it beautifully when I first started getting my tank planted. At the time I was using the full line of Seachem products, dosing by their instructions and schedule - which has a fair amount of iron, with very little CO2 (was DIY with almost no circulation).

Since I've switched over to EI dosing with powdered ferts, cranked up my CO2 (and provided adequate circulation) and have relied solely on CSM+B for my Iron (I bought Ferrous Gluconate before reading more into iron and have a giant GDA outbreak every time I add some), they just don't grow nearly as well.

My personal headache plant is HC. It seems like no matter what I do, if they grow at all, they grow upward then just break apart

Another pain of mine is DHG. It doesn't die....it just doesn't do anything at all. I had it grow and send out runners ONCE when I made a mistake and flooded my tank with way more CO2 than I intended - which of course the fish didn't like at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	203849  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ST2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	203857  

MrCain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #27
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Java fern. I want to throw it out the window every time..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mr.bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #28
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ludwigia senegalensis

I love this plant so much, but all it did was drop leaves and die. I bought a ton of it from Tom Barr and it slowly died away.

Not sure, but the only thing I can blame it on is the LED lights? I'll try it again someday.
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #29
photofish
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisk View Post
Seen a thread from another person. They were having trouble growing HC, said they can grow just about anything but have trouble with that. Made me think of the plants that I have the most trouble with and can't figure out why. I have trouble growing riccardia chamedryfolia. Don't know why but it seems like everyone has that one plant that they just can't get to grow. So what are yours? Advice is always welcome too.
What kind of plant is HC?
photofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #30
steak
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to steak

Glossostigma elatinoides aka glosso

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.