Plants you have trouble growing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
travisk
Planted Member

PTrader: (37/100%)

Plants you have trouble growing

Seen a thread from another person. They were having trouble growing HC, said they can grow just about anything but have trouble with that. Made me think of the plants that I have the most trouble with and can't figure out why. I have trouble growing riccardia chamedryfolia. Don't know why but it seems like everyone has that one plant that they just can't get to grow. So what are yours? Advice is always welcome too.
travisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/96%)

Mine is floaters. I can't get any floaters to grow at all. My filter isn't even that strong. I killed duckweed. It won't grow for me.
Colorful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful View Post
Mine is floaters. I can't get any floaters to grow at all. My filter isn't even that strong. I killed duckweed. It won't grow for me.

Say what? I've had a nearly two inch thick layer of duckweed in my 65 before...

But, I can't keep alternathera reineckii, spell check please... Lol

I couldn't even rescue it by transitioning to emersed growth... Straight melted away...
Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
germanyt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post

But, I can't keep alternathera reineckii, spell check please... Lol

This. I have an established stem now and it's still alive but it's my 3rd attempt at this one. Damn things just keep turning soft and dying. I also couldn't keep moneywort alive. All 30ish stems wilted and died.
germanyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
travisk
Planted Member

PTrader: (37/100%)

I've tried riccardia chamedryfolia every which way I can think of to grow it. Thought I was starting to make progress on it this last time. Had new growth starting on it, so I felt good about it, then I checked on it the other day and found out it was dying. Hoping to revive it again. I've tried this one about 4 times now. I never quit though and when I get the chance I will try again. lol

Wish I knew how to kill duckweed like you do Colorful. lol

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-03-2013 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
travisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
SunDevil76
Planted Member

Still a beginner but I have yet to have a plant die on me. Fingers crossed! I haven't tried any really difficult plants yet though. I did recently just plant two big pots of DHG lets hope my luck keeps going.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
germanyt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil76 View Post
Still a beginner but I have yet to have a plant die on me. Fingers crossed! I haven't tried any really difficult plants yet though. I did recently just plant two big pots of DHG lets hope my luck keeps going.
I've had 2 pots die. They just take a month to go. Make sure you have plenty of light and co2. My first pot died from lack of everything. My second died from that and hungry fish.
germanyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
SunDevil76
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post
I've had 2 pots die. They just take a month to go. Make sure you have plenty of light and co2. My first pot died from lack of everything. My second died from that and hungry fish.
I've got good lighting and Excel, gonna be putting together my first DIY CO2 setup over the next couple of weeks as well. I was a little worried though because I was a little rough removing the rockwool from my first pot, I think I took a lot of the roots out along with it.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
wildroseofky
Planted Member

I cannot keep duckweed, guppy grass, anarchist, dwarf sagittaria, or pennywort alive. My water sprite is alive but not growing much. No idea why. My ludwigia, moneywort, alt. reineke, water lettuce, anubias nana petite and moss are all growing like crazy. Seems I only have trouble with most of the "easy" plants.
wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
livebearerlove
Algae Grower

Babies Tears... Never works. I plant it, it goes great for about 10 days, then starts to fall apart and disintegrates. My scissors are getting a great working scaping and keeping everything else in check except for that.
livebearerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

I've had the weirdest time with Cabomba. Threw is in a low tech tank that eventually got little attention (unintentionally) and when I decided to actually do something with the tank I had to throw out stems of it...

Tried to incorporate some into a higher tech tank and it did nothing.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I can't grow watersprite or those banana plants that everyone can grow. I've lived in different areas with all different types of water (Midwest, Florida, well water, city water) and I'm still a watersprite/banana serial killer.

On the other hand, I've always been able to grow swords in low light. Go figure.
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've tried corymbosa in 3 different tanks. I just can't get it to grow. Yet I've managed to grow a ruffle plant to "flowering stage" but a simple batch of corymbosa won't last but a month. My Rotala does just fine in 2 of the tanks. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a plant I've given up on.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

didiplis diandra. I am trying it for the 3rd time now. Really hoping that it does better now that I have pressurized co2.
tithra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

Every species has there own little nuances. I've found that it is easier to choose the species based upon my setup and maintenance routines than the other way around.

Its actually pretty funny what will grow in some tanks but not others.
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote