Left on vacation- tank went crazy!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
livebearerlove
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Left on vacation- tank went crazy!

Ok, So I didnt quarentine and I added one Pearl celestial Danio and a small plant. Of course I ended up with Ich- so I increased the temp and dosed with salt for 2 days before leaving.

10 days later, I return home and What!? The tank went crazy!

(quite a few plants didnt make it after the salt and temp increase, however more perplexing is below)

1. I have two different kinds of snails that have taken over (removing them manually now). I removed almost everything from the tank to clean the egg sacks, and now should I get a Assassin snail?

2. Shrimp! I have what I could only count to 70 BABY cherry shrimp in the tank! How do I control the population? I cant even vacuum because I just suck them up- that tank is only 6 gallons.

3. My Pleco is gone. I mean no trace of him at all...One danio is super fat. Did the pleco die and the others ate him or is my danio over eating the baby shrimp?
livebearerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Unfortunately, maintaining a planted tank and taking a vacation are somewhat incompatible. I suspect you just demonstrated that. Snails are natural, and once you have a few you will soon have a lot if there is enough food for them. They do little harm though. Cherry shrimp aren't much different - if you have a few, and they aren't being eaten by the fish, you will soon have a lot. They, too, do little harm. I suspect the pleco went on a flying expedition - search carefully around the floor, under the stand, etc. to find his final destination. The danio is in heaven, as far as a food supply goes, so finding him overfed isn't surprising.

This would be a good time to rescape the tank, and perhaps add a few more fish.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

Depending on what type of filter you have, check in there for your pleco.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Axelrod12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

If the pleco did die, it's possible the snails took care of the body. I've lost fish and never seen a sign of them.
Axelrod12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

What kind of pleco are you keeping in a six gallon tank? None that I'm aware of, other than fry, should be in a tank that small. And I'm not even sure about the fry.
longgonedaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
zachawry
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Unfortunately, maintaining a planted tank and taking a vacation are somewhat incompatible.
I hope you are wrong! I have a relatively new heavily-planted 65-gallon tank, and when I was planning it I was worried about the fact that I have to leave for a few weeks a year and can only ask my wife to do the most basic things like feeding.

The LFS guy, as well as others on this forum, said that the planted aspect would be beneficial in keeping the tank stable in my absence, since the plants help filter the water.

For this reason I have kept the bioload down. The largest fish I have are rummynose, with most of the other fish being CPDs and, as of yesterday, dwaref emerald rasboras.
zachawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
macquisition76
Algae Grower

I never had problems leaving tanks for.vacations.... but I never added.anything before leaving.
macquisition76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I highly doubt your pleco's bony exterior body could be eaten by anything.

I've had fish that died and the shrimps picks it clean to the skeleton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachawry View Post
I hope you are wrong! I have a relatively new heavily-planted 65-gallon tank, and when I was planning it I was worried about the fact that I have to leave for a few weeks a year and can only ask my wife to do the most basic things like feeding.

The LFS guy, as well as others on this forum, said that the planted aspect would be beneficial in keeping the tank stable in my absence, since the plants help filter the water.

For this reason I have kept the bioload down. The largest fish I have are rummynose, with most of the other fish being CPDs and, as of yesterday, dwaref emerald rasboras.
I have a 55G office tank and for the past few years I work from home so i'm not always in for up to 9 days including 2 weekends so what I've done is reduced the light intensity and duration. I had 4 CFL @ 23W and reduced it to 2 and the duration from like 8 hours to 4-5.

The fish food is on a auto feeder but should check it since the longest I never did and when I did the lid that opens was stuck and that's why I wonder why teh leaves are eaten...

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-03-2013 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
germanyt
Algae Grower

The shrimp will likely eat the flesh but not the skeleton. I agree it could be on the floor behind the tank. I searched for a platy for days before discovering it just behind the power strip behind the tank. It was dried and curled up like a piece of jerky.
germanyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
livebearerlove
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
What kind of pleco are you keeping in a six gallon tank? None that I'm aware of, other than fry, should be in a tank that small. And I'm not even sure about the fry.
Baby albino.
Once it gets larger I hand it off to this nice fellow fish person, then proceed to get a new small one. I know the tank is small, but they are my favorite-
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
livebearerlove
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I suspect the pleco went on a flying expedition - search carefully around the floor, under the stand, etc. to find his final destination. The danio is in heaven, as far as a food supply goes, so finding him overfed isn't surprising.

This would be a good time to rescape the tank, and perhaps add a few more fish.
Seriously!? I went looking for him- cant find him on the floor. But I do have a dog and a cat who like fishies...

Already pulled everything out and divided/cleaned prepping to rescape. Im an artist with a M.S degree who recently found out that keeping a fish tank is the most rewarding hobby I have ever had the pleasure of completing. Although there are some touch learning curves....
Im moving back to the US in two years and I plan on a very large tank, and hopefully some competitions

Tomorrow I head to the fish market and see what wonderful things I find. Hong Kong is an aquarium lovers heaven.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
livebearerlove
Algae Grower

I had success with no snails. But I dont want them. There are too many and they leave egg sacks everywhere. They just ruin it for me. How do I rid myself of them? Start from scratch? or assassin snail?

I dont really want to go the chemical route, but if I had no choice, is there a product?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Algaefix will nerf most inverts, I'd go for an assassin. Or two...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Algaefix will nerf most inverts, I'd go for an assassin. Or two...
Inverts include the shrimp. Danger!

What kind of snails are they? If the population boomed like that with Ramshorns, it's a sign of too much available food.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

You said you don't like the look of them, but snails are very good for your tank and are a visual aid in how your system is thriving (or not).

As stated before, check your filtration and any secret holes or compartments in ANYTHING that is in your tank. Plecos have an incredible skill at hiding in the weirdest places. They also like swimming up out flows of filters.

Lastly, I am extremely jealous of your location. I'd be going nuts if I had the opportunity to go fish shopping in HK.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote