SAPS - Sacramento Aquatic Plants Society - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #46
yoko
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkuma View Post
To bad you missed the very first meeting Yoko. Tom Barr was the speaker and answered so many questions I had about planted tanks. Plus I walked away with about 5 huge bags of plants.

Hoppy has done an excellent job organizing this club and I learned more in 1 meeting than 2 years of random research on my own. I hope to see you at the next one.

Hi Ahkuma Honestly, I have just been sitting here at my comp at home, up at crazy hours of the night, sneaking online during work hours, researching...... I told myself I would never try live aquatic plants, but with what I want to do, I am willing to let go of my fear and give it a try. I am sitting here staring at this tank with moldy driftwood, hoping the mold will go away after I clean it up... but I am having fun

I checked the site, but didn't sign up yet. I think the meet up day is 4/4? And that is my bro's birthday. He is not into fish. He had a betta and it died, because he never changed the water and he was traumatized when he found it dead, as he felt like a failure at life. But YAH!! How cool!! Some local fish people!!

6 1G Un-filtered Bettas Tanks *Temporary*
4.5G 2 African Dwarf Frogs *Under Construction*
6.6G 3-way Divided Paludarium-Inspired *Under Construction*
15G 6-way Divided Open-Top Planted *Under Construction*
yoko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 AM   #47
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

1-5 years from now, you will return the favor and train the newbies.
The club will grow as more folks hear about it and are picked off the web.
Tell other forums about it. Make it so that folks interested in the plants, searching the forums will run into you.

Free plant swaps, no membership dues,a mailing list, pick a topic that the group wants, hammer it at the meeting, tank re scaping events, open houses etc.

SFBAAPS put the meeting notice up and is supporting us on their web site as well. Those can be a bit of a zoo, I use to know everyone well, not anymore.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 03-18-2007, 05:48 AM   #48
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
1-5 years from now, you will return the favor and train the newbies.
The club will grow as more folks hear about it and are picked off the web.
Tell other forums about it. Make it so that folks interested in the plants, searching the forums will run into you.

Free plant swaps, no membership dues,a mailing list, pick a topic that the group wants, hammer it at the meeting, tank re scaping events, open houses etc.

SFBAAPS put the meeting notice up and is supporting us on their web site as well. Those can be a bit of a zoo, I use to know everyone well, not anymore.

Regards,
Tom Barr
I had posted on another forum in thereAquatic Plants Section to see how many people would be interested in going on there.

I think the tank re scaping events are interesting and that would be a great event but that private room is not so big. It may be difficult but there are many things we can do. The only thing now is to think of ideas lol.
James From Cali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #49
Mr. Clean
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Clean

Maybe a propagation and pruning techniques session??? I have a hygro difformis that is growing like mad and what I believe is a cabomba that should break the surface by today. Also that plant that Hoppy gave us at the last meeting is doing very well in my tank and will probably need some maintenance in the next month or two!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #50
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

The next meeting is only two weeks away! I haven't given much thought yet to a theme for that meeting. The pizza place is obviously not a good place to have a tank of water for any kind of pruning or aquascaping demonstration. So, who has a good suggestion? Maybe for following meetings it's worth approaching Fish Planet about using their classroom?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #51
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

I will have many plants most likely. Cant wait for the meeting. I am also wondering what we should do in the event that fih planet wont allow the use of there classroom.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #52
tpl*co
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Still on for our meeting on Wens?
tpl*co is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #53
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

The Sacramento Aquatic Plants Society meeting will be this Wednesday night at 6:00 pm, http://intplantscaping.meetup.com/11/?gj=sj3. Unfortunately I have been extremely busy for the past month so I haven't done much in the way of planning for this meeting. It looks like we will be exchanging conversation and plants, plus giving away a few more magazines. I think it will be a good time to discuss the future of the group too - do we continue, where do we meet, what do we want to do, etc.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #54
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

I just got home and I am getting ready as we speak. I just got rid of my clippings so nothing to give
Old 04-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #55
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Oh Hoppy, it just dawned on me. I think I can get some fliers posted in the Fish department of PetSmart. It will be better for the people that go into the store thinking they can get any plant the wish.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #56
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I can design a poster or flyer that can be left at fish stores - no problem there. Who wants to use their computer printer to print out copies? I'm also wondering about getting a small clear plastic business card holder to leave at the major LFS with some of our cards in it. Last night's meeting was so good I'm fired up to try to reach more people.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #57
tpl*co
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Dang, sorry I missed it but was late at work
tpl*co is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #58
yoko
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
Dang, sorry I missed it but was late at work
Me too
Was not sure how long people were going to stick around

Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #59
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

I can print copies of flyers if you need me to. My printer is a few years old, but its a photo quality HP PSC (950? I think). It should be fine.
We should hit up all of the LFS's and see if they'll let us leave flyers and/or business cards w/ holder.
Exotic Aquarium, Capitol Aquarium, Fish Planet, Aqua World. We could also hit up Pet Cetera in Davis if anyone is going to be around there, or going by. They aren't a real big store, but a lot of locals go there as it's the only fish store in Davis, besides Petco. It wouldn't hurt to leave something at Petco and Petsmart as well. Maybe in their fish department, to try to narrow our audience a bit.
I enjoyed last night's meeting as well We could try having someone research a topic and/or bring things to show to the group, ideas, etc.
I could try to talk about methods of Co2 dissolution if needbe. I have a PVC reactor that worked great but isn't being used right now that I could bring in to show. There's also the diffusers (ADA, Rhinox) that work well. I could bring in my Rhinox 5000 for people to look at "in person", so they can see before they buy if they're unfamiliar with it. Tom Barr has used the Venturi method, which I am totally unfamiliar with, but could do some research.
If you're reading this and have not been to one of our meetings, I advise you check it out. We bring plant clippings and journals, etc to share at every meeting. It will also allow you to ask questions or get insight to methods, equipment, etc that you need help with or want clarification on. We don't bite either!
-Ryan

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #60
yoko
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know the owner of a Mom&Pop fish store, I could talk to them about putting a stack of cards there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.