Need help to buy a filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Joy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Need help to buy a filter

Hi all,

Planning to start one new tank, size 60cmX30cmX36cm. Volume 64.8 liters without any substrate and all. Want to go for Eheim Classic filters with Bio Rio as media. But confused between Classic 2213 and 2215. According to the company website 2213 (even 2211) is sufficient for my tank size, with 400 l/hr, and 1.5 m head. But the local dealer is saying that 2213 will have a reduced flow rate once the media will clog, so he asks me to go for 2215, with 620 l/hr and 1.8 m head. But 2215 will cost me 1.1k more. And really do not want to spend more money if 2213 is gonna serve the purpose.

Please HELP!!!

:icon_ex cl
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Bettafins
Algae Grower

2213 should work fine unless you have a heavy bioload. Definitely go with at least the 2213. The 2211 doesn't hold that much bio media (I had one on a ten gallon). The flow will slow once you get the media in but I think the 2213 will be perfectly fine.
Bettafins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Joy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafins View Post
2213 should work fine unless you have a heavy bioload. Definitely go with at least the 2213. The 2211 doesn't hold that much bio media (I had one on a ten gallon). The flow will slow once you get the media in but I think the 2213 will be perfectly fine.
thanks. what do you think, in my case? i am planning to go for 3 liter ADA Bio Rio and if possible(if space permits) Eheim Mech. and my tank volume is 17-18 gallon or 65 liter. what do you suggest, 2213 will serve the purpose without any reduced flow rates? Please reply.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

The 2213 should be fine. There are many other factors that will determine if the tank is successful, but the 2213 should give you plenty of flow for that size tank.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Joy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
The 2213 should be fine. There are many other factors that will determine if the tank is successful, but the 2213 should give you plenty of flow for that size tank.
Thanks. then i will go for 2213.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
cichnatic
Planted Member

Saw your post on the Eheim Review thread. Do go with the 2213 as that is adequate for your size tank. A powerhead or a koralia nano will fix your flow/circulation problem if needed. All depends on your scaping and setup for the tank.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Joy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichnatic View Post
Saw your post on the Eheim Review thread. Do go with the 2213 as that is adequate for your size tank. A powerhead or a koralia nano will fix your flow/circulation problem if needed. All depends on your scaping and setup for the tank.
thanks, but why Eheim has this problem? 2213 has a 400l/hr flow rate (rated). so how come it will get reduced? is not there any way to fix this problem?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
cichnatic
Planted Member

There are other factors that will reduce the flow of a canister filter and not just to the eheim brand. Filter floss, sponges, inline equipment, tubes are dirty etc. This is when you have to clean out the canister.
EHEIM #525
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Joy
Algae Grower

Quote:
There are other factors that will reduce the flow of a canister filter and not just to the eheim brand. Filter floss, sponges, inline equipment, tubes are dirty etc. This is when you have to clean out the canister.
Thanks, so you suggest that, 2213 will fulfill my purpose for my tank, if I keep it clean at regular interval?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
cichnatic
Planted Member

Absolutely!
EHEIM #525
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Joy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Absolutely!
Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

i would disagree, and say go with the 2215. its not that much more expensive (idk where your from or how much 1.1k is, but last time i checked the prices were pretty close)

I had a 2113 on a 10 gallon and it was perfect, i couldnt imagine it being good enough for a 17 gallon though..Yes others have had different experiences than me, but thats what this forum is for - to get diverse opinions then make your own decision.

the 2213 MIGHT be enough flow for your tank, but the 2215 WILL be enough. The extra room for media in the 2215 only helps your tank! You can always turn down the flow of the 2215, you cant turn up the flow on the 2213. Yes you COULD add a nano koralia powerhead, but that would be more expensive than just buying the 2215 upfront, plus that would be another piece of equipment in your tank and another thing that needs to be plugged into your electric.

If you go with the 2213, i would bet that within a year you wish you just shelled out the extra cash for the 2215.

Quote:
All depends on your scaping and setup for the tank.
then again, i totally agree with this..
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Joy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
i would disagree, and say go with the 2215. its not that much more expensive (idk where your from or how much 1.1k is, but last time i checked the prices were pretty close) ...
hmmm... you do have a point... actually i heard that, 2213 has an issue with the flow rate...anyway I am from India. the local dealer said that, I will definitely have the problem, so go for 2215...but after seeing the eheim site, and their specs list I got confused...because according to them, even 2211 is enough for my tank size...so I thought why to go for 2215...So asked the question here in the forum with the hope to get a proper solution...thanks for the suggestion man...Any idea with ADA Bio Rio? will it create clogging???
Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
..If you go with the 2213, i would bet that within a year you wish you just shelled out the extra cash for the 2215...
Why, what's going to happen within a year?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
hmmm... you do have a point... actually i heard that, 2213 has an issue with the flow rate...anyway I am from India. the local dealer said that, I will definitely have the problem, so go for 2215...but after seeing the eheim site, and their specs list I got confused...because according to them, even 2211 is enough for my tank size...so I thought why to go for 2215...So asked the question here in the forum with the hope to get a proper solution...thanks for the suggestion man...Any idea with ADA Bio Rio? will it create clogging???
As cichantic told you all filters have reduced flow after a while. It has nothing to do with the 2213 specifically.

Quote:

Tags
clogged, eheim 2213, eheim 2215, external, filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.