Petco dollar-per-gallon sale starts today - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Neither as I understand it.

I know a Mgr. for them, definitely a Loss Leader item. Basically "giving then away @ cost" to build relationships with customers. I think if you could get a honest answer the local managers feel these sales are a P.I.A.

Now, PetSmart & Simply PetSupplies+ have jumped on the band wagon.

I see the problem for the chains being CAH(Cheap@$$Hobbyest) that only shop there for these $1 a gl tanks and don't support the stores. I think eventually the Corporate Rulers with just eliminate the Fish Dept. as the Chain's live on Dog Food sales.

We lost the Mom & Pop LFS because CAHs ran to the chains to save 50cents on a guppy. The Chain's fish dept. will go next because the CAHs buy on line.

These chains are helping us out with $1 gl sales.....Toss them a bone and buy something else there when you go in.
I can't say I spend all my fish dollars at petco, or even close to half, but I make a point to go in and inevitably I spend some fish dollars. It might not be on livestock, but it's still $$.

I love the $/gal sale and agree that we should be willing to spend a few dollars there in exchange for a wicked good deal.
0live is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I've decided to stop at 50 tanks so no Petco for me this time. I'm almost sure of it. I think. 40B. Hmmmmm.
50. Gesh. That sounds like a job in itself. I hope most are low maintenance to say the least. Or at least you come up with a convenient way to manage them all.

I am guilty here. I hardly shop the chains. I typically only go to petco for the $1 sales. I typically get all my stuff from big als online or a particular smaller lfs in which I do shop at when I need things that the chains don't carry.

I understand the customer relations. They did pull me in with the $1 sale though. Prior to that I was only into managing only one tank. Now I am designing a multi tank setup with several 40g breeders and a few larger tanks in the mix. So I did give them my funds to start a designated fish section in my garage. I don't have room for 50 though, lol. I will be right at a dozen total tanks. If I can mange that I will expand only by a few tanks curiosity of the $1 sale again.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0live View Post
I can't say I spend all my fish dollars at petco, or even close to half, but I make a point to go in and inevitably I spend some fish dollars. It might not be on livestock, but it's still $$.

I love the $/gal sale and agree that we should be willing to spend a few dollars there in exchange for a wicked good deal.

Well Done Olive.

We only have one true "Old Time LFS" left in Chicago's NW Subs. I go out of my way to support them. Once they're gone, it's the end of a era in the hobby locally.

I predict in your lifetime shopping will become a Warehouse/Internet event for everything. I hope to be retired, living in the mythical Cicely , Alaska by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E5Kzw7RMuU

Last edited by DogFish; 09-02-2013 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Link
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:

I predict in your lifetime shopping will become a Warehouse/Internet event for everything. I hope to be retired, living in the mythical Cicely , Alaska by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E5Kzw7RMuU
Yeah northern exposure! *fist bump*
0live is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

The Petco closest to us doesn't carry 40B tanks but ...

I did get permission this morning from the boyfriend to call Petco and ask about them, they are ordering me one so next Friday we will add one more tank to the house. So excited!
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #21
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Was looking for a 40B and wondering when the sale was going to happen again.

Also teh 20% off all SW is a first, the one by me is pretty decent for SW upkeep. Since I have no fish in the current reef tank I probalby don't need to buy another to quarantine it.

They need to start carrying or make their Brooklyn stand for 40B dimensions.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #22
jmrmotorhead
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

Buy the 40b! I love mine, and you cant beat that price

Matt

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #23
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
....They need to start carrying or make their Brooklyn stand for 40B dimensions.
Brooklyn line is discontinued. I got my 40B Sized Brooklyn last March for $21. I'll be using it for my 56. I just made a birch stand top as the 56 is 30x18.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #24
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I got the only 40B in the store:

Now all I need to do is to build a stand, get some lights, filtration, CO2 system, substrate, hardscape, do a dry start, add plants, figure out what fish I want . . .

Oh and as a thanks to Petco I bought prefilter sponges, bird food, dog treats, etc.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #25
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlumpy View Post
I got the only 40B in the store:

Now all I need to do is to build a stand, get some lights, filtration, CO2 system, substrate, hardscape, do a dry start, add plants, figure out what fish I want . . .

Oh and as a thanks to Petco I bought prefilter sponges, bird food, dog treats, etc.
That background looks a little small for the tank
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

My Petco had the same backgrounds on the 40B's...not sure if that's their marketing strategy or what.

Walked in to mine with the intention of buying some tanks and walked out with a 5.5 gallon that cost more than something almost twice the size. Oh well.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
design_desire
Algae Grower

I know there are some people who don't necessary support the chains, but I tell you what, I wish there was something like this on offer in Australia! If I was to buy a 40 gallon tank here, it would cost at least $300 if not more... Even a dollar a litre would be amazing with those kinds of prices let alone a dollar a gallon! Wow!

There aren't really any big chains down here... :/

Starting Small! ~60L Iwagumi Journal!

Progress: HC Carpet growing nicely and fish-less cycle almost done!
design_desire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Brooklyn line is discontinued. I got my 40B Sized Brooklyn last March for $21. I'll be using it for my 56. I just made a birch stand top as the 56 is 30x18.
I saw that somewhere else after I posted this, this size tanks works for fish and reptiles so you figure they bring it back since they are pushing the sales of tanks...
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
I saw that somewhere else after I posted this, this size tanks works for fish and reptiles so you figure they bring it back since they are pushing the sales of tanks...
I looked at the Manhattan version maybe two years ago? The welds were sloppy and the side bars were not equally placed. That was not just in one store either. Latter that model was discontinued and the Brooklyn was in the store.

So maybe about the supplier? My guess is they didn't sell enough units in today's retail world it's about how much $$$ they can get from each square foot of shelf/floor space. Product that don't move are dropped from the line up.

PS - The welds on my Brooklyn aren't anything to brag about either.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
John Simpson
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

I just got 4 40 gal breeders, all they had, sorry none left in Scottsdale lol
John Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.