Crayfish, More info needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Beautifuldisaster172
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Crayfish, More info needed

I want dwarf crayfish if i can find any if not a reg crayfish. i have a 20L and i need to know what all the numbers should be at. i have never had a crayfish or anything like it so any info is helpful. i know i am posting alot about it but i want all my facts to be straight before i set up
Beautifuldisaster172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Beautifuldisaster172
Planted Member

no input?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Beautifuldisaster172
Planted Member

alot of people on here have had crayfish before, i have not, i just need water parameters and any advice so they can be happy
Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

There are lots of 'dwarf' crayfish out there...be specific about what you are wanting to get if you want help. I've kept CPOs in GH 12 KH 8 pH 7.8, there are breeders on here who've kept them in GH 5 KH 0. A quick google search or searching the forums here will net you tons of info.

http://aquariadise.com/caresheet-dwa...h-cambarellus/
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautifuldisaster172 View Post
alot of people on here have had crayfish before, i have not, i just need water parameters and any advice so they can be happy
I kept a colony of Cambarellus Shufeltii going for many years in a 15 gal long. The only advise I can offer is what worked for me.

Used de-chlorinated tap water with a ph of about 7.2. Performed weekly water changes of 30-40%. Temperatures ranged from 68-80F (depending on the season). Tank was heavily planted with java moss, java fern, anubias, and frogbit. Filtration was a simple hang-on-back with a sponge pre-filter over the intake. Included several lava rock terraces, several cholla wood logs, and coconut shell caves in the tank. Food consisted of algae wafers, commercial dwarf shrimp pellets, and unsalted canned green beans (some flake food was also available because I kept a few Heterandria Formosa in the tank too).

Occasional squabbling/aggression occurred, usually after molting & during mating, and an occasional 'least killi' would become a meal for the crays. I believe the 'scape' really helped to keep the peace because my colony grew to over forty plus, and steady water parameters helped to maintain good health.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Beautifuldisaster172
Planted Member

Thanks for the help. idk what kind of crayfish i will be getting because it will be when i go to NH next which is almost 3 hrs away. and whatever i find is what ill get. i didnt know they liked greenbeans, i to like unsalted greenbeans so that will be easy. i like your different plants you have with yours, are they fast growers? im still new to tanks and i love the super fast growers. im going to keep white cloud minnows with the crayfish if that helps. thanks for the input