Newest Journal 6 gal long (56k bware)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Newest Journal 6 gal long (56k bware)

OK so the bug has bit and yet another tank is added. So far this tank is a shrimp only. slightly planted but overall simple.

I started off with a 6gallon shelf tank. This is a pretty long tank for its size. its about 23in wide. and 6-7" front to back. its got pretty much the foot print of a long 10gal.
Heres a pic of the tank the first night I got it. I received some shrimp so I had to buy this tank in a rush. seems that worked out well because so far I like this tank's dimensions vs volume.

For now There are just a couple rocks that are to be the hardscape and some drift wood. The Cherry shrimp are floating in a fry box. I'm also at this point floating a amazon sword and some stargrass to help keep things clean while im getting the final plants laid out.

I don't want them running around while I'm trying to pour substrate so they have to wait to get acquainted with their new home
For hardware I have just a digital thermometer a little hagen mini and the lights.(I'll get back to the lights.)

Now I was getting the itch to get this going. And although I had already arranged to get some soil from another forum member I couldn’t wait. So I picked up a bag of eco-complete. This bag didn't go as far as I'd hoped it would. Anyway here’s a pic of after the eco went in. And before the cherries were let loose.

At this point I lost one of my shrimp so I figured I might as well let them loose.

While I let the tank clear I had to prep the plants that were to go in this tank. So I took some clippings from my 20 gallon and prepped them for their new tank.

And in they went.

As for my lighting options at the moment. This tank came with a regular flourescent I think 18W bulb. Its a little low but the color isn't totally horrible. Its kinda grown on me. I'm not totally sure on the specturm tho. I assume its in the 8-9K range.

But I also have a 36W PC that I like to put over the tank as well. It has a 10K bulb in it. It obviously does much better in lighting the tank up.

I think its a bit too much light for this tank right now. At least untill I get CO2 on it.
So I ordered some retrofits for the first fixture dual 13W from AHSupply. And I found a seller on Ebay that has some off the wall spectrum bulbs that i'm going to give a shot. hopefully it will be a solid mix.

I really like what the color of the lower light bulb does to bring out the color of my shrimp.

Specs.
------------
Tank- 6 gallon Shelf.
Substrate- Eco Complete
temp - 84deg
pH - Unknown. Estimated 7.0
Filtration- Hagen Mini Elete
lighting- Lowlight- 18w Flourescent 8000K (est.)
Highlight- 36W Power compact 10,000K

Hardscape- Bog wood, Granite Rock, Malasian Driftwood

Plants-
Front- Dwarfhair grass
left mid/rear- Blyxa Japonica
Center Rear- Ludwigia G.
Right rear- E. Tennellus (Narrow leaf Chain sword)

Livestock - 12+/- Cherry Red Shrimp
Blacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
eklikewhoa
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Nice so far!

Was wondering though, why so high on the temp?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

Thats just where it is. I don't have a heater on the tank. But the PC bulb keeps it warm I guess. Thats one of the reasons I want to cut back the wattage some.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

So any other thoughts? suggestions? I'm thinking I would like to add some more tall grass behind the bog wood on the left. Its the only spot left unplanted. Also does anyone have any ideas on what fish I might wanna put in there? they have to stay small obviously and get along with my cherries.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
TurtleBoyPW5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Where did you purchase that tank? I want one!
TurtleBoyPW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
eklikewhoa
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Try raising the light off the tank suspending it somehow or don't seal off the tank too much to allow evaporation, that should help with your heating problem and not force you to get rid of your light.

Plant wise I think you should move the val(?) to the left side behind the wood and add more chainswords in it's place.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
plasko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Those rocks are kind of bright compared to the plant & wood choices that you have made. If you are set on using those rocks, have you considered using some sandblasted manzanita & some brighter-red/green plants to offset the reflectivity of the rocks?
plasko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasko View Post
Those rocks are kind of bright compared to the plant & wood choices that you have made. If you are set on using those rocks, have you considered using some sandblasted manzanita & some brighter-red/green plants to offset the reflectivity of the rocks?
It's mainly due to the fact that the high light is a 36w PC. I am going to be swapping this out once my retro fit kit from AHS comes in. I'm hoping that won't illuminate the rocks as much since it will be a dual blub with space in the middle. so the new light will illuminate the sides more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoyPW5 View Post
Where did you purchase that tank? I want one!
Petco. Its a bookshelf 6 gallon. they run 49.99. I had been looking at a couple Azoo and ADA and picotope glass nanos. But for the cost I realized I could do alot more with a slightly bigger tank. so I started looking for a 5 gal. Then while at the store looking for a decent 5 gal kit I came across this one and that was that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklikewhoa View Post
Try raising the light off the tank suspending it somehow or don't seal off the tank too much to allow evaporation, that should help with your heating problem and not force you to get rid of your light.

Plant wise I think you should move the val(?) to the left side behind the wood and add more chainswords in it's place.
Well I had the heat up in the house too high. And I put warm water in to begin with. Once I removed the 36W and went back to the low light for a couple days it let the water temp drop. So today it is sitting at 76 deg. We will see how things are after I get the new light. and make adjustments from there.

I was thinking about moving the chain swords from the rear right or rather I was gonna prune some more out of my 20 gal and tuck them in on the left. I still like the green wall they make on the right. I just wanna accentuate it on the left.
Micro swords. Maybe. I don't think they will have the val like look to them once they establish. would look more like hard grass rather then waving grass. (Does that make sense?)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

Bought Galaxy Ras's to add to the mix and hopefully they will breed for me.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
yoko
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Smile

Hi hi It's me again This is the Thread I noticed you in :0)
I am confused as to what lighting you are using

6 1G Un-filtered Bettas Tanks *Temporary*
4.5G 2 African Dwarf Frogs *Under Construction*
6.6G 3-way Divided Paludarium-Inspired *Under Construction*
15G 6-way Divided Open-Top Planted *Under Construction*
yoko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
RESGuy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to RESGuy Send a message via MSN to RESGuy
Cool

Very nice tank I like it. I think that 76F is perfect if you want to breed those RCS, they breed real nice in those high 70s.
20 Gallon Tall
Tank Paradise <- My site
I have both AIM and MSN so message me when you like, I love talking with people that share the hobby!
RESGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
Storm_Rider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

that's a beautiful small tank! looks alot better than a 5.5gal, but it's quite expensive
Storm_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Looks great! I like those rocks a LOT its a bit different but works ... now you spending $50 on a 6g from PETCO, I think you need a nice little talk LMAO thats a crazy ammount! You should of made your own tank .

Looks good!

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 AM   #14
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

I do have some updates sorry it's taken me so long. i've been quite distracted. And this tank wasen't doing great. I had a horrible break out of some strange little worms. they wern't planaria they were something else. But I can say for sure i am never buying Eco complete again. I am tired of getting overpriced substrate full of bugs.
Anyways To treat the bugs I used prazi Pro. And learned that galaxy rasporas are sensitive to it. Well I had to rush them out and get them in another tank. they recovered just fine. Yesterday I decided to pick up some more from the same LFS. So I grabbed 4 more so now I have a total of 7 galaxys. 3 males and 4 females.
heres a pic. Lemme tell ya they are a pain to get a good picture of. Like with most danios they never stop swimming.

I still have one of my female cherries left. She's just hanging checking out he new tank mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Hi hi It's me again This is the Thread I noticed you in :0)
I am confused as to what lighting you are using
here in the new pictures you can see the new lighting on the tank. I'm using a dual 13W PC retrofit from AHsupply. I gutted the original housing and swapped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb View Post
Looks great! I like those rocks a LOT its a bit different but works ... now you spending $50 on a 6g from PETCO, I think you need a nice little talk LMAO thats a crazy ammount! You should of made your own tank .

Looks good!

-Andrew
I know I know it was a litle pricey. But I didn't have time to make my own acrylic.. well then again maybe I did and just didn't think of it. DOH! but ahh well. I needed something fast. cause the shrimp got there that day and i didn't have anywhere safe to put them and I didn't want them to get lost in my 20 gal.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
yoko
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your Eco-complete got BUGS?!?!?!

6 1G Un-filtered Bettas Tanks *Temporary*
4.5G 2 African Dwarf Frogs *Under Construction*
6.6G 3-way Divided Paludarium-Inspired *Under Construction*
15G 6-way Divided Open-Top Planted *Under Construction*
yoko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.