Hardscape critique - 90 gallon- Final Update, ready for planting?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hardscape critique - 90 gallon- Final Update, ready for planting?

Looking for some suggestions with the starting of this hardscape. I plan to have a hill on the left side where the wood is going into the substrate surrounded by some dragonstone rocks and the right side will be signficantly lower......I am not sure what to do with the open space on the left. I do have other pieces of manzanita wood but don't want to take away from the main piece.....any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130829_224101.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	200425  

Last edited by Gafi; 09-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: more info
Gafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is a bit of an update....imagine the left on a hill with the right side staying the same level.....is it too open?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130830_194822.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	200777  

Last edited by Gafi; 08-31-2013 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

2nd quick update.....I have used all the rock I have....I can get more tomorrow....disregard the whiter rocks, those will be covered by substrate, just used to stabilize wood atm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130830_200523.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	200825  

Name:	IMG_20130830_200529.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	200833  

Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
oliver77
Algae Grower

It looks so ugly. No water. no fish. no plants.

just kidding lol

this looks like a great start... with correct plants positioning, it'll be superb
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Rock positioning is great. It's not too open, the negative space provides room for plants and such.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks nice, will you be planting in the rock area? Kind of making it into a higher elevation island? Atleast thats what I see most often. Looks really nice though.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes....the raised area with the rocks will be planted....most likely with some hc or staurogyne repens.....thanks for the feedback...I was starting to worry it didn't look right haha
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
John Simpson
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

looks good, you could build up the substrate higher in the back, the deeper the slope is back to front the better it will look. If you have the substrate in the back almost halfway up the tank it will create an illusion of depth
John Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Hardscape Critique please!- 90 Gallon- Updated!

Quick update.....changed out some of the rocks and moved the positioning a bit. Also raised it up on a hill, still need to fill in the open areas around the rocks to make it feel like a cliff....thoughts.....should I raise the hill even more?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130831_224801.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	201289  

Name:	IMG_20130831_224816.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	201297  

Last edited by Gafi; 09-01-2013 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Looks just fine as it is now, for the moment. Why don't you proceed a little further with your scaping before you decide to make any more changes with what you now have.

I believe it would help to fill in/complete your substrate finishing touches, and add a few plants to your DW set-up - keeping in mind the look you're trying to achieve, and the environment you're wanting to create for the type of livestock you want to keep, and then go from there.
Take the next step based on what you want things to look like.
I know it sounds kind of simplistic, but it works - move along with the scaping & the ideas will come to you.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #11
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Looks just fine as it is now, for the moment. Why don't you proceed a little further with your scaping before you decide to make any more changes with what you now have.

I believe it would help to fill in/complete your substrate finishing touches, and add a few plants to your DW set-up - keeping in mind the look you're trying to achieve, and the environment you're wanting to create for the type of livestock you want to keep, and then go from there.
Take the next step based on what you want things to look like.
I know it sounds kind of simplistic, but it works - move along with the scaping & the ideas will come to you.

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated! The only thing I did not like was the stone on the right and the stone in the middle by the branches....I swapped them and I think it looks a bit better....I think I will go ahead with the finishing touches.....any thoughts/suggestions on how to have that open area? should I have it sloped back to front?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

I think you've already created a good starting look for your tank as it is now. The left side is the focal point,- and it's a good one - and for now you don't even need to worry about how you'll fill in the right hand side of the tank.
As I said before, I suggest you complete the substrating you want, and start with some plantings in & around your focal point - e.g. consider some Anubias attached to that great-looking branched dw.
What are your thoughts for livestock stocking - just so we have some clues as to what you want the finished product to look like ? That could help.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #13
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
I think you've already created a good starting look for your tank as it is now. The left side is the focal point,- and it's a good one - and for now you don't even need to worry about how you'll fill in the right hand side of the tank.
As I said before, I suggest you complete the substrating you want, and start with some plantings in & around your focal point - e.g. consider some Anubias attached to that great-looking branched dw.
What are your thoughts for livestock stocking - just so we have some clues as to what you want the finished product to look like ? That could help.
I was more looking for how I should slope or if I should slope the substrate on that right side......livestock wise I am looking at either of the two options

Option 1

Congo Tetras
Neon Dwarf Rainbow
German Blue Rams
Otos
? open to other thoughts?

Option 2
Neon or Cardinal Tetras
German Blue Rams
Otos
?open to other thoughts
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Personally, (if it were my tank) I don't think I would do any sloping on the right hand side - I'd just be sure I had enough depth of substrate to do some decent plantings & any hardscaping That might look good.

As for stocking, both your options are good - depends on which fish you like best between Congos or Cardinals. And there are many other species that are compatible with what you've already picked out, so you have a lot of choices.

That doesn't in any way alter your scaping plans though, so I suggest you simply proceed and amend as you go along, depending on what you like or don't like.
You've got a great start already, so keep it rolling !
Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
becky3086
Algae Grower

Well, I was kind of looking forward to seeing that sloping on one side with the branches coming out of it. I think it would make it more interesting. Everyone does the branches coming out of the bottom but coming out of the hill on the side is different.
becky3086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.