What do you think about a tall nano tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-14-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Derek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Still planning my desktop tank. Seems that the off-the-shelf (really) small tanks (i.e. 5.5G All-Glass) are short (10" tall). Once I add a couple of inches of substrate there won't be a lot of height left for plants (or fish for that matter). So now I'm thinking of having a custom "tall" nano tank built. I like the 5.5's 16 x 8 inch footprint (it fits my desk space nicely) and if I stretch it to 14 inches tall that equals 1792 cu. in. which is 7-3/4 gallons. I understand that the taller I make it the less light reaches the bottom but with 2 to 2" of substrate I'll only be asking an AHSupply 1x13W bright kit to shine down through ~12". Input anyone? I haven't priced out a custom tank yet...

Derek
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Well the lighting is gonna definatly be an issue. That is the main reason for my disdain for the Ecplipse 5 gallon Hex. The lighting is not powerful enough to reach the bottom plants worth two cents. The other deal is this, if this is a work tank, would you have an issue with your work clothing (I wear a long sleeved shirt and tie) to reaching the bottom of the Tank?

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Derek
Algae Grower

No, no clothing issues during maintenance (I do wear clothing, just not a dress shirt). I guess what I don't want to end up with is a lot of plants up at the top of the water. Really, since the tank is so small I'm actually building a scale model of a 29 gallon tank so if everything I put into it is similarly scaled (rocks, plants, fish) I could get the look I want. Think I'll head over to the plant forum and search out info on dwarf varieties...
Old 01-14-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
mpneuman
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to mpneuman

I have a 5 gallon hex eclipse and i have a 19 watt spiral compact flouresent bulb in it. I get okay plant growth nothing great. But everything grows towards the front since the back half is covered with the filter this makes the tank look kinda crappy. I am not happy with this tank at all. Buck on this site has a real nice looking 5 gallon hex you should check out his site to get some ideas.
mpneuman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 02:25 AM   #5
95jeepxj

You may want to take a look at the Via Aqua LV series. The 11 gallon version is 15x9.75x17.75 and comes with a helios 36 watt light fixture. There is also a 15 gallon with the same lighting 15x13.5x17.75 lxwxh. I set one of these up as a planted tank at the LFS I work at 2 weeks ago and I'm getting unbelieveable growth. parrots feather has grown 6 inches-anacaris 3 inches- chain swords 1.5 inches hair grass is starting to spread. We have been selling a boatload of these tanks for mini reefs. They also come in 18-21-&37 gallon versions.
95jeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Derek
Algae Grower

Wow, those are nice little tanks! They also look really expensive which puts a damper on my enthusiasm. I'll have to find a local shop that can quote me a price, then compare it to a standard tank with a DIY hood with AHSupply lighting. Thanks for the tip Jeep!
Old 01-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

If you are handy with DIY projects, don't rule out a DIY acrylic tank. Small ones are very inexpensive to make because you don't need very thick acrylic. There is also the "pride" factor and you can build it however you like. There are several threads that discuss them.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3687
http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3204
Old 01-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Derek
Algae Grower

Hey, this is getting interesting! That terrarium tank is nice! I've worked with acrylic and Weldon and know enough to get into trouble. I called up the local plastics supplier and asked for a quote on some 6mm (") acrylic (3mm seems too thin). He quoted me $52.91 Canadian for (1) 32" x 14" (bow-front and sides), (2) 16" x 10" (bottom and lid), and (1) 16" x 14" (back). This is nice because all the critical cuts will be done by them on their table saw. Yeah, it's a lot more than a little 5 gallon glass jobby but I could get just what I wanted, plus there's the fun and pride factors to account for.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
AquaTony
Algae Grower

Hi guys,

I think there is a tank that you are missing. It isn't generally available in stores that I have seen, but I have a couple of them that I had my LFS order for me. It is a 4 gallon tank that is 8X8X19 inches. Take a look at the all-glass sight at:

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

In the frame on the left, click on "Designer"

I think you should be able to get this tank for about $35. All-glass also sells a mini-compact flourcent bulb that is perfect for this tank. It is 10 watts and has a good spectrum.

By now you must think I work for All-Glass, but I don't. I just have these two products from them and like them. I have also seen the AquaVia tank online and it looks really nice.

Later,
Tony
AquaTony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #10
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I called up the local plastics supplier and asked for a quote on some 6mm (") acrylic (3mm seems too thin).
I used the 3mm stuff to make that 6g terrarium and it is plenty strong enough. Especially considering that you're only filling it halfway! Paid maybe $10 in materials instead of the $50+ for the 1/4" stuff.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #11
Derek
Algae Grower

"It is a 4 gallon tank that is 8X8X19 inches."

Wow, that is some aspect ratio! I checked it out at AG's site. Is there such a thing as too tall? The 10W bulb is going to be hard-pressed to reach through 19" but you didn't mention any problems so maybe I'm wrong (I'm assuming your tanks are planted). Actually, after mulling over the different options I'm going to go with a 5G Perfecto (16 x 8 x 10 tall) and a DIY top with an AHSupply 1x13W Bright Kit (2.4W/gallon). I'll probably post some pics in DIY and gallery. The only hitch with the lighting is that the light unit will only be about half as long as the tank but I figure I could move it around the top every day or so to even out the light getting to the plants.

Derek
Old 01-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #12
AquaTony
Algae Grower

Derek,

Yes, it is quite tall, but not as tall as you think. The base is at least 2-3 inches tall before the glass at the bottom of the tank. This means that the substrate is not hidden in the base. Also, there is at least another 2-3 inches at the top for the hood. I would say that the height of the column of water is around 12-14 inches.

I had no problems growing plants quickly in this tank. I was able to get plants to pearl at the bottom of the tank with 20-30 ppm of CO2 supplementation.

I had this tank at work and got lots of good feedback. It has a modern look to it and doesn't take up much space on a desk.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Tony
Old 01-22-2004, 03:35 PM   #13
Derek
Algae Grower

Hmmm. I assumed that when All-Glass says the tank is 8 x 8 x 19 inches that those are the tank dimensions, not the overall. But your comments Re actual water height drove me to do some quick calcs that show that I assumed wrong:

(i) 8" x 8" x 19" = 1216 in^3 = 5 gallons

(ii) 4 gallons = 924 in^3

(iii) 924 in^3 / (8" x 8") = 14" water height

This agrees with your estimate of 12-14" of water.

Alright then, I'm going to have a closer look at this tank. Maybe the local Big Al's can get me a price on it... Thanks Tony - I agree that it would make an impressive tank!

Derek
Old 01-22-2004, 08:15 PM   #14
AquaTony
Algae Grower

Derek,

No problem. I'm sorry I don't have pictures of this tank. I gave it to my in-laws for Christmas. Another nice thing about nano tanks is that you can move them easily, I just removed 1/2 of the water and I can take it anywhere I want. I just bought another tank, but I haven't had time to get it setup. In a couple of weeks I'll probably be able to get you pictures.

Later,
Tony
Old 01-23-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
AquaTony
Algae Grower

Derek,

I forgot to mention one thing about the 4 gallon Designer tank from All-Glass. The tanks doesn't easily adapt to a HOB filter. It comes with an undergravel filter, but I didn't use that. I used a small internal filter, Duetto DJ50 from Marineland, that seemed to be the easiest. If you wanted to use a HOB or cannister, you would have to make a hole in the hood. It would be easy to enlarge the hole for a cannister, but a HOB filter would take more work, but it could be done.

Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.