What happens to flies in my apartment
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

What happens to flies in my apartment

They get introduced to my other plants!

Drosera binata

Drosera capensis

Drosera nitidula

Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

An all you can eat 'fly' buffet, eh?

Nice collection (and variety) of Drosera.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Thank you! The one in the nitidula wiggled its way out, and unfortunately damaged some of the tentacles. So, naturally, it was put into a N. x Miranda pitcher
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Very cool! Aren't they a bit difficult to keep though?

Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
Very cool! Aren't they a bit difficult to keep though?
You would think so, but many subtropical species of carnivorous plants are rather easy in my experience. Some (like the D. capensis) are quite bulletproof.

In general, all they require is good light, water low in TDS, and a bit of humidity. Media requirements may vary but my dews all do fine in a mixture of peat and silica sand and sometimes some long-fibered sphagnum, so things you can pick up at a store with a garden center.

Heck, there are several species that can be grown on a windowsill.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
Rich Guano
Planted Member

Now that my friend is very interesting. Are these plants able to atract flies on there own, or are they mostly dependant on you? Is it true that some of these plants can attract flies by releasing a fragrance equivelent to rotting meat?

Think outside the glass box.
Rich Guano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Guano View Post
Now that my friend is very interesting. Are these plants able to atract flies on there own, or are they mostly dependant on you? Is it true that some of these plants can attract flies by releasing a fragrance equivelent to rotting meat?
I think you might be referring to Amorphophallus or one of the "carrion flowers".

Drosera and Pinguicula are more opportunistic and catch whatever gets stuck in their dew, which probably looks pretty attractive to insects itself. Only some like D. capensis can actually curl their leaves to trap prey, or there are some that bend inward on themselves. Sarracenia and Nepenthes produce nectar though around the lips of their pitchers and have hairs inside that prevent insects from getting out, until they fall into the digestive fluids. Fly traps have trigger hairs and sense when to close their traps.

In an indoor environment they usually only get insects when I catch one. Although I did find a midge carcass in some overgrown D. adelae leaves when I was repotting recently. Outdoors and they can be full, you can find pictures of people who have slit open a dead Sarracenia pitcher to find tons of decomposing bodies. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to grow any outside yet.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

What about overwintering? Do they require a cold dormant period? I've read that some carnivorous plants need this or will die in a year or so
Old 08-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
What about overwintering? Do they require a cold dormant period? I've read that some carnivorous plants need this or will die in a year or so
Carnivorous plants are found literally all over the world, excluding very arid environments and Antarctica...the seasonality is very different depending on the species.

Sarracenia, Dionaea, and some species of Drosera and Pinguicula are temperate and should get a dormant period from late fall to spring otherwise they don't last very long.

Some others also have similar dormant periods during seasons that are normally drier. My Mexican Pinguicula, for example, will sometimes alternate between carnivorous and succulent phases depending on the cues they get. Technically it should be every year but it doesn't always happen. Pygmy Drosera and tuberous Drosera are others that go dormant during the Australian dry season, which tends to be during our winters but they can be cued to do so during our summers.

Nepenthes and some other genera are completely tropical. They will grow continuously if given the right conditions. Most of my subtropical dews will too to some extent although the same plant may produce offshoots that will then continue growing. I've had my first few dew species (D. adelae, binata, capensis) for the last 3-4 years without not having at least something living to show for them. Some of the more tolerant species can go through periods of die back if stressed and then grow back from the roots. Again, not super hard to keep if given what they need.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Awesome info, thanks. I've done a bit of reading into carnivorous plants as I'd like to have a few. But obviously haven't read enough. Any good sites or nooks you would recommend
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

www.terraforums.com

Great forum, where I started out and continue to go back when I have questions. Very knowledgeable people there, although traffic can be a bit slow.

www.carnivorousplants.org

Site for the International Carnivorous Plant Society. They have some pretty good care info as well as a seed bank if you ever want to go that route. I haven't yet, but seems like a pretty neat deal.

www.growsundews.com

A hobbyist run site, I tend to default there if I need care info for specific Drosera species.

http://www.pinguicula.org/

Where I tend to go for specific Ping/butterwort info.

http://www.sarracenia.com/cp.html

Site by Barry Rice, lots of good beginner info there.

I also highly suggest getting the Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato, pretty much the bible for CP owners. Its been recently updated so I'm sure it's even better now.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for all the info.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

No problem! Always willing to help anyone get into the CP hobby.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

Great to see another CP-er here! I agree; a lot of these plants are rather hardy and easy. For anyone who is thinking about trying them out, go for it!

I love feeding mine flies and mosquitoes (man, that is so satisfying). I also have Sarracenia outside and they catch so many bugs, the pitchers will actually rot!

Goldfish | Community | Koi pond | Carnivorous Plants
the.koi.maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Great, my friend Jason (it is Jason, isn't it ?) - I love it ! Just what I need at my house !
Thanks for posting that info.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote