CRS SS - SSS dying off one by one .. seeking experience advice - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #16
blue planter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
Your TDS and GH are a bit low, but I don't think that's the main reason of shrimp dying They are low but you're not the only person keeping CRS in that kind of parameters, other people I know doing that are all very successful, even including some world famous breeders.

However, your KH is what's increasing your PH, and Kent RO Right does increase KH. Together with a substrate that doesn't buffer the PH low enough, your shrimps are having a hard time surviving.

From Kent RO Right product description:
thank you all for the great feedback.. i just ordered ADA amazonia.. however dont think i will be putting that in any time soon.. because two shrimps are actually berried even in the horrible water condition now..

for now ill just add some kent RO right to get the GH up.. i already removed the seiryu stone.. and ill be doing a water change tomorrow .. ill alsopump some oxygen over night to see if the TDS as well as GH rises tomorrow and maybe run another PH test.. (two hours ago i added some RO right and GH went up to about 4 and TDS up to about 81) any suggestion on how to raise TDS or is that just associated along with mineralizing with additives such as RO right?

can someone suggest a better product for mineralizing RO water other than what im using now which is RO right? something that is widely available for immediate purchase from amazon or something..

i did some research in regards to filtration systems and it seems alot of shrimp keepers / breeders suggests using simple sponge / air pump filtration .. so i was thinking getting rid of of the internal filtration for an sponge setup.. thoughts?

either way let me get GH & TDS up and see if the PH drops first.. i feel like im making some progress towards improvements! couldn't have done it without all the great information all of you have provided.. thanks so much!
blue planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #17
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

Slaty shrimp gh+ is great and it is the best bang for your buck

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #18
Chipoi84
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

For the ada you probably need to cycle it first before putting it into the tank. Did you buy enough to replace the fluval or just to off?
Chipoi84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #19
blue planter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipoi84 View Post
For the ada you probably need to cycle it first before putting it into the tank. Did you buy enough to replace the fluval or just to off?
i bought a 21 pound bag .. i think its enough for my 9 gallon.. how do you suggest i cycle this without another tank available? i was thinking removing the CRS to a bucket for 10-15 days.. in order for me to redo and completely swap out the substrate( i heard the initial ammonia spike is crazy...) however 2 crs are berried now.. im caught up in all these dilemma's

was also thinking removing the internal filtration and replaced it with
Amazon.com: Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter Air Pump: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter Air Pump: Pet Supplies
which i already bought..
Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #20
blue planter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Slaty shrimp gh+ is great and it is the best bang for your buck

sbarbee54,

i was looking on alpha breeders website .. i see that they have only salty shrimp GH/KH +? http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/salt...al-gh-kh-200g/

i thought my problem was that GH is too low and kh is too high.. i dont see a product that only raises the GH except bee shrimp mineral GH+..

http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/bee-...-gh-230-grams/

comments?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #21
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

You can't cycle with the shrimps in there, ADA amazonia needs like 2 months to finish leeching =/ you might want to get a new tank to cycle them/finish leeching them. Or cancel your order and buy a non leeching substrate.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue planter View Post
sbarbee54,

i was looking on alpha breeders website .. i see that they have only salty shrimp GH/KH +? http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/salt...al-gh-kh-200g/

i thought my problem was that GH is too low and kh is too high.. i dont see a product that only raises the GH except bee shrimp mineral GH+..

comments?
i think oblongshrimp sells salty shrimp gh+, i'm pretty sure i brought mine from him.

Should pm him and see if he still has any sitting around.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #23
blue planter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
You can't cycle with the shrimps in there, ADA amazonia needs like 2 months to finish leeching =/ you might want to get a new tank to cycle them/finish leeching them. Or cancel your order and buy a non leeching substrate.
DOH....:ic on_frow

i guess ill just attempt to stabilize gh & tds while lowering kh first..

then ill figure something out in order to cycle this bag of aqua soil..
Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #24
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
DOH....:ic on_frow

i guess ill just attempt to stabilize gh & tds while lowering kh first..

then ill figure something out in order to cycle this bag of aqua soil..
Get a bucket and leech out the ammonia?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
blue planter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
Get a bucket and leech out the ammonia?
precisely what i was thinking.. home depot 5 gallon jug..i have a extra hob i can use to cycle it.. as it stabilizes.. i can drop in the assassin snail, however i am still scared to completely swap out the fluval shrimp substrate after the fact.. its a whole lot of work IMO.. shouldn't have bought the FSS fron the gecko, hard lesson learned..
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

Second one is what you need the bee shrimp one

Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

If you switch to a sponge filter, don't completely switch them. Keep your current filter running and add the sponge filter. Let the sponge filter go for several months and then if you are still considering it, remove the other filter. This way the sponge filter is cycled with BB and you don't force a mini cycle that could hurt your shrimp from losing the BB in the current filter.

I'd go the route of large bucket or tarp outside, wet and dry over the course of a few weeks to force the ammonia leech to quicken up. Then put it in a bucket with an airstone and let it run for a few more weeks to ensure that you don't get any bad feelers for your shrimp. Or just go to tractor supply, buy a 50 pound bag of black diamond and sell the amazonia to someone else :P. Am I the only who thinks it's crazy that such an expensive substrate will kill your critters if you are unaware of the ammonia spikes before using it?
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Is not saving whatever shrimp left not worth the effort?

Quote:
precisely what i was thinking.. home depot 5 gallon jug..i have a extra hob i can use to cycle it.. as it stabilizes.. i can drop in the assassin snail, however i am still scared to completely swap out the fluval shrimp substrate after the fact.. its a whole lot of work IMO.. shouldn't have bought the FSS fron the gecko, hard lesson learned..

Last edited by acitydweller; 08-30-2013 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: removed extra information
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
Alpha Pro Breeders
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
sbarbee54,

comments?
We carry the Salty Shrimp GH+ too, here is the link. It's under Water Conditioners.
Alpha Pro Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Is not saving whatever shrimp left not worth the effort?

If you arent really up to making the effort, skip this species of shrimp and go for something less sensitive.

Any and all research up front, would have avoided this tank re-do.
Let's try to offer advice without scolding other members for mistakes that they have made

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote