Magnums, any good?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Does anyone use magnums here, no one ever mentioned using them...with 350gph and a bottom-mounted impeller, it could double as a reactor. So overall how good is this filter?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Amazon Robert
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've used a Magnum for years and love it. I feed my CO2 into the suction line, right at the inlet strainer and it works nicely. I liked it so much that I got a H.O.T. Magnum for moving around various tanks while cleaning, for carbon removal of meds, etc. Very reliable and you can soak the pleated filters in bleach water and use them literally for years.
Amazon Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I have a HOT magnum that I use every so often for water polishing. The micro cartridge + diatomeaceous earth combo works well for this purpose.
For long term use, it is both too noisy and has very little room for filter media. I like to fill my canisters with foam pads...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
jus1moretank
Algae Grower

I run a old 220 on my 29g planted and a 350 pro on my 125g African tank and never had any problems other than the carbon containers crushing if you dont clean the filter every month. And i think they are pretty quiet too.
jus1moretank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
infin
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

im using a 350 on my tank with the micron/and foam filter been great so far.
infin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like them and never had a problem until they get noisy. The noise is due to my lazy approach at not cleaning them. I do the same cleaning as Amazon Robert said. I have about 12 filters for the magnums. As they get dirty, I place them in a 5 gal bucket with water and some bleach.

Amazon Robert,
did you drill the strainer to place the tubbing? Any problems with air lock?
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Here's what Steve advised me to do-

"You drill a hole in the intake siphon and add a 90 elbow to attach your CO2 line. The CO2 is sucked into the Magnum and is 100% dissolved. It's also a good idea to drill a hole in the siphon tube about an 1 below the lowest level you allow the tank to drop to from evaporation. This is a siphon lock and protects your tank in case a hose comes loose or springs a leak. The tank won't empty on to the floor, as soon as the water level reaches the drilled hole the siphon is broken and the flow out stops."

Does anybody know a canister with 1/2" diameter tubing?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
Amazon Robert
Algae Grower

I just picked out one of the plastic bars on the strainer so that the rigid plastic tubing would fit. I took a rigid plastic air inlet from an old undergravel, heated it with a Bic and made a 90 degree bend and then connect the silicone tubing above the water line. A tie wrap holds the rigid to the siphon tube.

THANK YOU for the idea of the hole drilled to break the siphon in case of an accident with one of the hoses. Doing that tomorrow.

Bob
Amazon Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:23 AM   #9
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Does anybody know a canister with 1/2" diameter tubing?
Yeah, an Eheim Classic Canister, which is as good as or better than the Magnum. If you tried one, you might like it. You could get some actual experience with one!

Mike
Old 01-20-2004, 10:23 PM   #10
Amazon Robert
Algae Grower

One downside to the Magnums is the stupid RiteSize prefilter. Expensive (relatively) and a PITA to clean. If anyone hears that a foam sleeve is available such as offered with the H.O.T. Magnum, please share the news. The HOT sleeve is a pleasure to use.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:34 PM   #11
jus1moretank
Algae Grower

I buy my filters for $1.50 each for my Magnums. I think they are better and last longer than the HOT ones. I do know that Wal-Mart carries some type of foam filter for "their" version of the HOT filter
jus1moretank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:37 PM   #12
Amazon Robert
Algae Grower

I meant that I like the HOT foam prefilters and would like the same type for my 350 Magnum, if anyone should hear of them being available, rather than the fiber RiteSize type.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:47 PM   #13
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

i got a magnuim with my first 55 and HATED it ,now i have a rena and love it
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:27 PM   #14
blk
Algae Grower

I've got a magnum 350 and agree the prefilters are pricey. I started cleaning mine by soaking in a bleach bath overnight, just like they advise for the micron cartridge. You just need to be sure to rinse them well and then soak in dechlorinating solution when you're done. I works like a charm, they are completely reusable and come out as clean as new. Don't try this on the foam HOT pads though, they partly dissolve in the bleach.

PS I stuff my Magnum's media basket with filter floss and this is the most effective way I've found to use the thing. It filters out most stuff and doesn't clog too fast.
blk is offline   Reply With Quote