Soil options in the Bay Area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
thornomad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Soil options in the Bay Area

Hi all - just moved to Fremont from the East Coast. The move interrupted what had promised to be my inaugural planted tank setup. Just getting settled in the area and trying to finally get things going again.

I have some bags of eco-complete and was going to use that as a cap on Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix (MGOCPM). Back East, I even had bought the potting mix at home depot but I left it behind and just took the eco-complete when we moved since the potting mix was so cheap.

Anyway - I tried Lowes, Home Depot, and Orchard Supply Hardware and none of them carry MGOCPM. I even called Lowes and they say they don't carry it in CA at all.

What do you guys use for soil that is the equivalent of MGOCPM in CA?

Thanks!

Damon
thornomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I'm trying something called organic supersoil from home depot.

I just did it a month ago its working but I cannot comment long term.

I choose it based on this article http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com/Art...d_aquarium.htm
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
I'm trying something called organic supersoil from home depot.
Thanks for that suggestion - I couldn't find an "organic" version ... do any of these bags look familiar to you:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tgry=SearchAll

Appreciate it. I got overwhelmed with all the options and would like to narrow it down to something I know others have had some success with.

I do remember seeing MGOC Potting SOIL ... just not sure that's going to be okay compared to the Mix. (PS: I Just looked at the Miracle-Gro website and the SOIL has manure in it ... which I think I remember reading is not a good thing. The mix doesn't have that.)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-G...5#.Uh-1n9WzKpg

PPS: Turns out SuperSoil is also made my Miracle-Gro: http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/sup...oil/prod70514/
Damon

Last edited by thornomad; 08-29-2013 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: post-script
Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

No problem I went to home depot and I was overwhelmed with choices too.

I got some green bag of Miracle grow potting soil and it was not good, plants didn't like it.

The super soil bag I got was brown. I thought it was organic but none of those examples look like they are.

I'll check later when I go home. It may be that brown bag you linked but I'll confirm later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornomad View Post
Thanks for that suggestion - I couldn't find an "organic" version ... do any of these bags look familiar to you:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tgry=SearchAll

Appreciate it. I got overwhelmed with all the options and would like to narrow it down to something I know others have had some success with.

I do remember seeing MGOC Potting SOIL ... just not sure that's going to be okay compared to the Mix. (PS: I Just looked at the Miracle-Gro website and the SOIL has manure in it ... which I think I remember reading is not a good thing. The mix doesn't have that.)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-G...5#.Uh-1n9WzKpg

Damon
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

That's weird, I live in the east bay and my OSH, & Home Depot have Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix. I remember the bags are inside the stores and not outside in the nursery sections.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
That's weird, I live in the east bay and my OSH, & Home Depot have Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix. I remember the bags are inside the stores and not outside in the nursery sections.
Hmm- I will have to call Home Depot and ask. The OSH I went to did not have it. Home Depot did not have any available in any of the area stores (according to the internet). I only called Lowes who said all of CA no longer carried it.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
thornomad
Algae Grower

Well - Home Depot told me the same thing that Lowes did: no longer carried anywhere in CA. He gave me the same story that Lowes did, which is that probably some agriculture law changed that made it so they couldn't sell it in CA anymore.

I can try OSH too ... but I'm guessing it's the same thing since I can't even find it on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornomad View Post
Hmm- I will have to call Home Depot and ask. The OSH I went to did not have it. Home Depot did not have any available in any of the area stores (according to the internet). I only called Lowes who said all of CA no longer carried it.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I set up a tank around the beginning of this year (January/February?), and I'm fairly certain I bought MGOCPM at an OSH.

I was at the emeryville Home Depot recently (either last weekend or the weekend previous), and I'm fairly certain I seen a big bag of MGOCPM. I didn't look closely, so I could be mistaken.

Maybe there's also a chance that if the chain doesn't carry it, some individual stores still have a pallet lying around and are selling some bags.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Welcome to the bay area and fremont (I actually live in fremont now) why dont you try top soil and mineralize it? Thats what I did. I will also check osh the next time im there to see if they have it. Also you should join SFBAAPS, lots of pple over there could help u out and give advice
Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I set up a tank around the beginning of this year (January/February?), and I'm fairly certain I bought MGOCPM at an OSH.

I was at the emeryville Home Depot recently (either last weekend or the weekend previous), and I'm fairly certain I seen a big bag of MGOCPM. I didn't look closely, so I could be mistaken.
Maybe - I might call Miracle-Gro just to make sure. I haven't seen a peep of it at the three places I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Welcome to the bay area and fremont (I actually live in fremont now) why dont you try top soil and mineralize it? Thats what I did. I will also check osh the next time im there to see if they have it. Also you should join SFBAAPS, lots of pple over there could help u out and give advice
You know - I hadn't gotten to thinking about the next stages ... in planning I, probably like many people, got a little overwhelmed with all the possible substrate options and opinions and finally just said: eco-complete. Then it was on sale and I bought it. Then I, probably like many people, second guessed myself and decided to return half of it and get MGOCPM as a cheaper and better base layer.

Now I can't find it! Smile. So, am open to suggestions. Hopefullly something not too expensive. I still have three bags of eco-complete for a cap ready to go (it's a 40B tank).

I will checkout SFBAAPS as well. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
thornomad
Algae Grower

I called Miracle Gro and they said they weren't aware that it wasn't being sold in CA. Said to try Wal-Mart and Home Depot. I can't find it on the Wal-Mart site at all and didn't have patience to wait on hold for an eternity.

I looked more online and ACE advertises it: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...467386.1260387

There isn't any in stock but they at least claim to take delivery of it. I might try that. I wouldn't mind doing the mineralized soil if I didn't have two young children to interrupt the process.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
thornomad
Algae Grower

I ordered some from an Ace Hardware - said they would have it Wednesday. Couldn't find it in stock anywhere. Oh well - I guess patience is an important skill to develop in the craft of fish keeping.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Glad you were able to find it!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
miaozer
Algae Grower

Found some Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix at an OSH store in Moraga, CA. So I assume that the east bay should carry some. SF does not have this stuff at Home Depot/Lowes.
miaozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
thornomad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaozer View Post
Found some Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix at an OSH store in Moraga, CA. So I assume that the east bay should carry some. SF does not have this stuff at Home Depot/Lowes.
Oh excellent. If Ace can't come through I will call OSH.

Not sure what's up with Lowes or Home Depot....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.