Need Advice on Rifle... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #16
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

I just bought a brand new Remington 700 .223 for $450. I know Dicks Sporting Goods has sales of the Remington 700 ADL for $375 on certain holidays.

Just buy the SPS or ADL for a deal and then use it. You can upgrade parts later on when you have the money. Thats my plan.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #17
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
I would advise against the 770. It's not near the 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
... 308 win (intrests me, if the recoil is too much I can always throw on a recoil pad, cheap and effective, took off almost all recoil on a 870 12 ga. Pump) 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 win Mag
No, find a old Wood stock that someone took off their Rem 700 to make their rifle "Tach-T-Cool" . A Wood stock will absorb more energy than the plastic stocks. The amt. of aftermarket stuff for a Rem 700 is mind boggling.

I built this from a $350 Dick's sporting goods Rem 700 in .308 a few years ago.

When my old eyes did their job I could clover leaf at 100yrds.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

Nice looking rifle, I need to get out and shoot.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

hmmm, Well im going to Dick's today, I'll see what the 700 is priced at

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Went to Dick's yesterday, nothing of interest, however the guy said they were receiving a new shipment of guns tomorrow (today), which surprises me because I didn't think you could just get a new shipment, unless of course it had been planed for a while. Anyways going back today to check out what's new, maybe my father and I will see something that just can't be passed up and I will be coming home with a new rifle

If we can't find anything, my father's buddy who cannot hunt anymore has some sort of Ruger in 308 that he said I could borrow for the season

also just realized I need another GoPro! I really want to film a few hunts this season, especially the Youth Duck Hunt that we go on in Lake Champlain, can't hunt this year too old, however my cousin still can and I'd like to film him

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

We didn't buy anything there, However there were 2 guns that really peaked my intrest...

Remington 700 ADL, I think it was in 308, maybe 30-06, I like this a lot, It had a shortened barrel, which I thought was dumb, a cheap scope, but the bolt was really smooth, It also felt really comfortable to hold. The guy said he could get it in a regular barrel length, this one was $450 for a Synthetic

And the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter in 30-06, I liked this the most, it was $550 with a Nikon scope, had a really smooth bolt as well, This one was also a synthetic

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #22
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

The shorter barrel will be stiffer than a longer barrel. At he ranges you'll be hunting at 100yrds or less a 28" barrel is not going to give you much if anything over the short barrel.

Also, Hiking out with a carbine length rifle is easier than a long barreled rifle. Not to mention going through brush working a blood trail. Both are great rifles out of the box. I would offer you'll like either better with a heavier wood stock.

If you check Gunbroker or Ebay you may find an old walnut stock cheap. I bough my stock here: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

My 700 was set up for bench shooting. You might want to look @ their bargin bin hit the "Laminated Classic Rifle Stocks" Link
Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #23
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

Or Boyd's laminate stocks. Love mine
Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
Or Boyd's laminate stocks. Love mine
Yes, Boyd's work is nice.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Seems like that's a good Plan! The synthetic makes the original cost cheaper then buying it with a wooden Stock, I'll go check out that site and see what they have. The reason I wanted a Longer barrel was because I'm actually going to be using this gun in many different situations.

From pretty much the day my family and I went to Yellowstone and Montana My dad and I have planned on Driving out there to hunt Elk when I Graduate Highschool (3 Years), I wanted a longer barrel for that reason. Also I can use this gun wherever I go in life, weather I stay in NY or go somewhere else, I will pretty much always be able to use this gun. That's the reason I have in fact decided on a 30-06, There are ways I can reduce recoil if it's too much at first, also it's a gun I can grow into and use forever.

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
tmcpherson301
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I know you said rifle, but I usually hunt with a lever action .410. It puts slugs wherever i want it to within 100 yards and it feels like a .22 Just an idea.

Successor to More Fun in a 2.5:

College is over 2.5: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=635386
tmcpherson301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #27
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcpherson301 View Post
I know you said rifle, but I usually hunt with a lever action .410. It puts slugs wherever i want it to within 100 yards and it feels like a .22 Just an idea.
I've already decided on the 700, Thanks for your input though! I also Own a .410 Break action great for squirrels

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
Cannot beat a Marlin lever action 30-30. Have taken down anything from armadillos to big Axis bucks with it. Good to 100yds and the new leverevolution ammo by hornady can give you more confidence farther out.

Nothing like going John Wayne either with a lever action for fun too haha
Yah, because that's what we need, a bunch of people out shooting armadillos.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #29
PatriotP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
Yah, because that's what we need, a bunch of people out shooting armadillos.
Armadillo fan? haha
PatriotP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #30
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just finished hunter ed (basically gun safety with added info on laws and ethics).

I agree the 30-30 is a good choice. I was told it is the most used rifle for deer and a minimal kickback. My only concern is many lever action don't have an actual safety so you need to be VERY careful about muzzle control when loading/unloading and putting the hammer in half-cock position so as not to have an accidental discharge. If you can find one with an ACTUAL safety button, then do so. For yours and your parents peace of mind.