10g planted betta tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
blizowman1
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

10g planted betta tank

ok, so heres the story: my kids betta weve had for yrs finally died....my girlfriend said I should buy them another. so I decided to setup a 10g for it this time instead of the constant maintenance of a bowl....( I know I know). but heres the setup
10g tank
black gravel (osmocote tabs underneath)
marina s10 hob filter which I put my own media in lol

walmart 10g heater
walmart hood for two 15w incandescent bulbs.... which I ended up buying 2-10w mini fluorescents
does anyone know anything about these bulbs im sure im in the low light range but would love any info someone could give me on these lights and what can be exected out of them

I'm planning on getting a back ground for it and probably either a bag of Eco complete like I have on my 90g or maybe some fluval stratum.
Do either of you know if those bulbs are in the super low light level? And can you recommend any low light plants I could keep in here cause my 90g is high tech so I'm not real sure how to do low tech lol. And it being low tech should I start liquid dosing at some point? And do I HAVE to dose some thing like excel ?

Here's a pic of my 90g too

Last edited by blizowman1; 08-29-2013 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Added pics
blizowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

I've never used those fluorescents specifically, With incandescent hoods I usually just use standard daylight CFLs instead. You may have to remove the splash guards to fit some of the larger bulbs. Perfect for a good amount of plants, although I've never tried anything considered "high" light.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
blizowman1
Planted Member

I've tried looking for CFL at Walmart but it seems like the only ones I could find in 6500k are 100w.... I'm trying to stay as low tech as possible. So I'm not gonna be doing anything high light if I can help it lol. But since I've been high tech with my 90g for so long it's hard to transition down to low light plants and such.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

pkg says 6500k so plant friendly, yes?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizowman1 View Post
I've tried looking for CFL at Walmart but it seems like the only ones I could find in 6500k are 100w.... I'm trying to stay as low tech as possible. So I'm not gonna be doing anything high light if I can help it lol. But since I've been high tech with my 90g for so long it's hard to transition down to low light plants and such.
Are you sure they are 100w and not 100w equivalent? Equivalent ratings just compared them to incandescents, but they aren't a number we really worry about in terms of output.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #6
HuntCast
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

6500 can be tough to find. At my Walmart, I could only find one 13w bulb that wasn't soft white. Had much better luck at Lowes. You can also find them at dollar stores, from time to time.
13w and 23w are the most common. Never have seen a 100w. Think you misread the packaging. That is the equivalent.
HuntCast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
blizowman1
Planted Member

I must have misread then, thanks for telling me ill have to check it out again cause I paid 6 bucks a peice for these compared to 5 bucks for two lol.....

Do I HAVE to use excel in a low tech tank?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Not at all, look into the Tom Barr low tech method. A pretty good way to setup a tank w/o Excel or CO2 and not have to do much work.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
blizowman1
Planted Member

Cool ill def check that out.... What kind of low light plants should I try out ? And for carpets
Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Stone454
Planted Tank Obsessed

Those light will put you in low-mid lighting, i use them in a few of my 10 gals dwarf sag can do a good carpet like effect and is easy I am trying out a few different things that might work out most carpet plants need high light and co2
Stone454 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
blizowman1
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone454 View Post
Those light will put you in low-mid lighting, i use them in a few of my 10 gals dwarf sag can do a good carpet like effect and is easy I am trying out a few different things that might work out most carpet plants need high light and co2
Do you dose your tanks or have to use excel in the 10gs
Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Stone454
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do dose my bigger tanks to help out but I do the min. dose every other day, the dwarf sag will not need it
Stone454 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
blizowman1
Planted Member

Do you dose excel daily ?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

excel not needed terry, just give them the root nutrients and they should be set. i dont know how powerful that filter is but just dont lets detritus get left behind
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

> walmart 10g heater
> walmart hood for two 15w incandescent bulbs.... which I ended up buying 2-10w mini fluorescents
> does anyone know anything about these bulbs im sure im in the low light range but would love any info someone could give me on these lights and what can be > exected out of them

Those CFLs are Power CFLs, which is why they're putting out 600 lumens instead of 550 that the 10w spiral CFLs do. I am using a 10w spiral and a 13w spiral over my 10g in "brooder" type dome reflectors, which are very efficient. I think your CFLs are oriented correctly for the most output - horizontally for Power CFLs. The only problem is the white plastic reflectors in the Walmart canopy is very inefficient, so you may only get 550 or maybe less lumens out of each of them. This is probably enough to grow Java Ferns and other low-light plants, but IME not enough for regular plants.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.