I want to move my blue velvets. .help.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

I want to move my blue velvets. .help.

I have them in a small bowl, which i thought would be fine. But i am starting to hate it. I would like to move them to a 5-10g tank.

My question is, can i cheat and use that startzyme studf they sell and add the shrimp a day later, or am i really going to have to ammonia cycle the new tank and take weeks+ before i can move them over?

The substrate is miracle grow capped with sand, so shouldni reuse thatnas much as possible (for bacteria) or start with a new substrate and the startzyme?

Thanks tpt
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
I have them in a small bowl, which i thought would be fine. But i am starting to hate it. I would like to move them to a 5-10g tank.

My question is, can i cheat and use that startzyme studf they sell and add the shrimp a day later, or am i really going to have to ammonia cycle the new tank and take weeks+ before i can move them over?

The substrate is miracle grow capped with sand, so shouldni reuse thatnas much as possible (for bacteria) or start with a new substrate and the startzyme?

Thanks tpt
Though not recommended and a lot of shrimpers here will tell you that.
But I'm not gonna lie, I've done it more than a couple of times myself.

Two brands that I can recommend are:
1. Tetra Safestart- It can be found in walmart, at least in mine and they don't even have a live fish section
2. Seachem Equilibrium- not instant needs a weeks worth of dosing but its cheaper than TSS

But make sure the water quality is adaptable to your shrimp and you acclimate them slowly. I personally like the drip method but with each person the method is different and some just plop and drop with neos.

Also another thing to note is that these "quick cycles" often need a source of ammonia whether something is leeching it or your shrimp are giving it off. Just make sure you dont pour and let it sit, cause the stuff in these additives may die off and whatnot.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I would do the safestart and heavily plant your new tank with floaters and fast growers(you can rescape later). Give it a week and as long as your plants are growing then I would add a snail. If it survives for a few day then add your shrimp. Be a little patient don't risk your shrimps!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkychun View Post
I would do the safestart and heavily plant your new tank with floaters and fast growers(you can rescape later). Give it a week and as long as your plants are growing then I would add a snail. If it survives for a few day then add your shrimp. Be a little patient don't risk your shrimps!
I do think the TSS needs an immediate source of ammonia to live so the OP should test the water to see if some ammonia is present.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
aparker
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

snails are not very sensitive to ammonia.
aparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Yes, tank will be heavily planted before hand. In no rush to kill my shrimp. I was also going to drip them supppper slow because they are in 50/50 tap&RO and will be switching to straight RO with gh+. I want as little shock as possible since i only have a few.

I picked these both up today, incase one wasnt invert friendly. I was leaning towards API ?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
aparker
Planted Member

I use quick start to help get things going, never had a problem. It doesnt "insta-cycle" the aquarium though. Just a push in the right direction.
aparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Tank would be planted, add the API and a sponge filter... Dose a couple times, Wait a few days then add shrimp?

Once again, trying to use old substrate
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

I use bt-9 and quick start, and a snail. Cycles in a week
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Tetrasafestart has never failed for me. I would recommend that one as its 1 dump and done. But it seems both work.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #11
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Tetrasafestart has never failed for me. I would recommend that one as its 1 dump and done. But it seems both work.
When I set up my first planted tank last year, I must have had a bad bottle of SafeStart or didn't add enough ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. I dropped a shrimp in the tank and let it rot, but it still took a month for the tank to cycle.

What did you do to make the SafeStart work?
WestHaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #12
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

I've used safe start with great success. However i have not done an instant with shrimp. What i've done in the past is set up a tank, new substrate, plant it well, add safestart. Throw in some of my swordtails or other fish that i have and some snails. Let them go a week max, then introduce shrimp (after removing fish). Its worked for two shrimp tanks ive set up and i've had minimal to no casualties. I guess i've never been brave enough to try it with just shrimp.

My thought process behind what has worked is the fish create a much higher bioload to help with the initial seeding of the bacteria colony. From there the shrimp have a much lower bio-load which for me has worked because the tank was already handling higher levels. And again, heavily planted. Fast growing stems, floaters, and moss. The other step i take is for the first month i feed the shrimp more often than I would on a normal basis on a cycled tank, simply because it takes time for the goodies to grow in enough numbers for the shrimp to have a semi-sustainable natural food source.

This is just my personal experience and i know others have had mixed success. Hope this helps, be sure to let us know what you end up doing and how it works out. Best of luck!
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Instead of snails if you have a bigger tank to move them to, you can test the tank on ghost shrimp for a few days just to ensure you don't kill your blue velvets. Don't want to leave them with the bv though because they eat shrimplets. I'd move as much from the bowl as you can, all the soil, plants and sand. It should help to cycle it a bit faster that way as that soil has been absorbing BB for awhile now.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

What is bt9 exactly? Ive heard it used before.

All great ideas. Both the bottles i bought say just 1 use, but like i said i didnt know if one was better for shrimp.

I will add a couple zebra danios and ghost shrimp first then replace with BV
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Bt-9 is a water supplement for shrimps. It also helps with bb, for a week, dose everyday, double dose every other day. Along with quick start the tank will be cycled in a week. At least for all my nano tanks,
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote