Planted Tank exclusive: FREE CURRENT USA RAMP TIMERS! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic

Old 01-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #91
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dear Current USA,
1) Many of us with freshwater aquariums have our lights set for 2 cycles per day. As an example I have many of my tanks running on timers for 4 hours with lights on, 5 hours with lights off, and then again 4 hours with lights on. Obviously there would then be 11 hours off and the dual 1 day cycle would then begin again.
Will any of your ramp timers be able to duplicate 2 cycles in a 24 hour period?
2) Is the "Ramp Timer Pro" still scheduled to come out this Month as a stand alone product?
PM also sent.

Thank You

Last edited by trapperwolves; 01-03-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: typo
trapperwolves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #92
Current USA
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholz View Post
Two 36 inch satellite plus and one 48 inch satellite plus on my 125

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Nice!!

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #93
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperwolves View Post
Dear Current USA,
1) Many of us with freshwater aquariums have our lights set for 2 cycles per day. As an example I have many of my tanks running on timers for 4 hours with lights on, 5 hours with lights off, and then again 4 hours with lights on. Obviously there would then be 11 hours off and the dual 1 day cycle would then begin again.
Will any of your ramp timers be able to duplicate 2 cycles in a 24 hour period?
2) Is the "Ramp Timer Pro" still scheduled to come out this Month as a stand alone product?
PM also sent.

Thank You
Hey Ed,

I responded to your PM.

For others with the same question:

We actually considered this but thinking about the main reasons why someone would do that is to limit algae growth while still prolonging photo period so when we get home, we can enjoy the tank. Let me know if it's a different reason for you but if that's the main reason, it can already be solved with dimming functions that come with the current ramp timer pros. You can ramp the intensity up whatever intensity you'd like. For example, if you're worried about algae, you can set max intensity to 75% and leave it on for 12 hours without any issues.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #94
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you for your response and for the PM.

Sorry if this has been answered in a previous post but is the Ramp Timer Pro available with the Satellite Freshwater LED Plus? I thought I read in a post that the Pro timer was coming out as a stand alone product in January. I can only find the Ramp Timer Pro sold together with the Orbit Marine LED fixture.

Would the single ramp timer be able to do what you described above?

Thank You.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #95
Current USA
Sponsor

Hey Trapperwolves,

This is why we give pretty general launch dates. It's mainly because there are so many variables with shipping across the pacific, quality control, customs and such. But the timers should be available stand alone in about 3 weeks. They're in our warehouse and just need to bed checked for quality control.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #96
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
Hey Trapperwolves,

This is why we give pretty general launch dates. It's mainly because there are so many variables with shipping across the pacific, quality control, customs and such. But the timers should be available stand alone in about 3 weeks. They're in our warehouse and just need to bed checked for quality control.
I have two 18" Sat+'s and a 24" Sat+ I would like to buy timers for. But I have held off buying any timer because of the problem with flashing lights using other than presets. Will the pro timer have the same problem as the single ramp timer?

Also, reading thru various threads on TPT, I saw that you mentioned Current is working on 'fixing the problem". When will Current fix this problem?

Thanks.....
Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #97
Current USA
Sponsor

Right now, yes the ramp timer pro flashes from 0%-5% intensity just like the single ramp. But again, if 5 seconds of flashing is an issue for you, definitely don't get it but for most of us, we never even notice it.

I've been held accountable for estimations of launch dates and functions so I don't want to give you an estimate and then not be able to make it. All I can say is soon. Hope that helps!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #98
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for your response.
Looking forward to purchasing a 48"-60" Satellite Freshwater Plus and the Ramp Timer Pro for a 55 gallon I will be setting up in the spring. Also looking to convert 3 other tanks from fluorescent lamps to LEDs.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #99
naturelady
Planted Member

Quote:
We actually considered this but thinking about the main reasons why someone would do that is to limit algae growth while still prolonging photo period so when we get home, we can enjoy the tank. Let me know if it's a different reason for you but if that's the main reason, it can already be solved with dimming functions that come with the current ramp timer pros. You can ramp the intensity up whatever intensity you'd like. For example, if you're worried about algae, you can set max intensity to 75% and leave it on for 12 hours without any issues.
Respectfully, you are only half correct in your assessment, at least for why I use a split photoperiod. I do indeed split the lighting into 2 periods to limit algae growth, but it is not so that the light can be on when I am home. I do it because I want the light OFF (not dim) for a few hours in the middle of the day. I want the plants to stop photosynthesizing for a time so that CO2 can build back up in the tank. This gives the plants a competitive advantage over the algae in the tank. So the dimming function does not help my purposes for using a split photoperiod.

Overall, I am pleased with my Sat+ light fixture. I needed a new light, and this was high quality and reasonably priced. Its slim profile looks SO much nicer than the ugly behemoth I had before. That said, I am somewhat disappointed that I cannot use the full set of features that are available with the light. I do wish there was a working timer that would allow me to use all those neat modes included with the light on a regular basis. However, for now, it functions very well as a basic, aesthetically pleasing plant light.
naturelady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #100
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperwolves View Post
Thanks for your response.
Looking forward to purchasing a 48"-60" Satellite Freshwater Plus and the Ramp Timer Pro for a 55 gallon I will be setting up in the spring. Also looking to convert 3 other tanks from fluorescent lamps to LEDs.
You're going to see all your savings in your electricity bill

Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #101
Current USA
Sponsor

Great to know! That's definitely something I haven't thought of before. For my personal interest- how significant is the CO2 drop and increase? How long do you leave the light off for this to take effect and you should definitely share your results in a general forum here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post
Respectfully, you are only half correct in your assessment, at least for why I use a split photoperiod. I do indeed split the lighting into 2 periods to limit algae growth, but it is not so that the light can be on when I am home. I do it because I want the light OFF (not dim) for a few hours in the middle of the day. I want the plants to stop photosynthesizing for a time so that CO2 can build back up in the tank. This gives the plants a competitive advantage over the algae in the tank. So the dimming function does not help my purposes for using a split photoperiod.

Overall, I am pleased with my Sat+ light fixture. I needed a new light, and this was high quality and reasonably priced. Its slim profile looks SO much nicer than the ugly behemoth I had before. That said, I am somewhat disappointed that I cannot use the full set of features that are available with the light. I do wish there was a working timer that would allow me to use all those neat modes included with the light on a regular basis. However, for now, it functions very well as a basic, aesthetically pleasing plant light.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #102
naturelady
Planted Member

Default split photoperiod and CO2

Quote:
For my personal interest- how significant is the CO2 drop and increase? How long do you leave the light off for this to take effect and you should definitely share your results in a general forum here.
The concept can be found on TPT, usually in the "lighting" forum, although it is mostly used by people trying to stay low tech. If you aren't adding extra CO2 to the tank, or are just using DIY CO2, you have fewer options for how to get your light and CO2 in balance to combat algae. Using creative lighting schedules is one way to do it.

I have not done much experimentation with different lighting schedules. I just found that I had a tank established for several years, always with the same setup, and algae was a constant battle when I did not supplement with CO2. After I switched to the lights off mid-day, I no longer had such problems with algae without CO2 supplementation. (This is not to say I do not have algae; far from it. But the BBA is almost gone, and the other algae stays at a minimal level.) The best science I know of on the subject is in Diana Walstad's "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium," where she recommends a schedule of lights on 5 hrs, off 4 hrs, on 5 hrs, and has a graph showing how CO2 levels increase in the afternoon. According to her graph, if you consider CO2 levels when the lights come on first thing as "maximum," then a 4 hour siesta allows the CO2 to reaccumulate to about 75% of that morning max. So CO2 levels definitely regenerate and can give the plants a pretty good competitive advantage over algae. Most people who do this kind of schedule leave the lights off for between 3 and 5 hrs, with 4 being most common.
naturelady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #103
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Love our freshwater plus led system that is on our 75. Great price for an excellent lighting system. Here is the vid review I did after firt purchasing the unit around April 2013:

Last edited by stanjam; 01-27-2014 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: editing vid url
stanjam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #104
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjam View Post
Love our freshwater plus led system that is on our 75. Great price for an excellent lighting system. Here is the vid review I did after firt purchasing the unit around April 2013:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZE6oXAesCY
thank you so much for sharing!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #105
majerah1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I love tannins! Its beautiful. Loving the growth this light gives me.

Grump has a new love. Isnt she pretty! Look how well they blend into the crypts in the back!

Eheim Pimp #475
majerah1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.