Geo's 7 Gallon Bowfront (56k go make a sandwhich)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-14-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
Geo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Geo Send a message via MSN to Geo

After discovering some cracking in my 6 gallon eclipse, I decided to move up in size.

Purchased a 7 gallon AGA Bowfront this weekend, and today I finished modifying it to suit my purposes. As soon as my plants come in from AquaBotanic (Robert, where are you?!) I'll have everything setup and ready for some fishies.

I'm running an AquaClear mini for a filter (much to the recommendation of people here, thanks much!) Ebo-Jäger 50W heater, Eco-complete substrate (one full bag) and that's the easy stuff.

I spent the better part of the last day or two modifying the hood to fit in my 2x13watt AHsupply bulb and reflector. This might be of some interest to people, so I'll post these pics for now.

I gutted out the hood, covered the interior with aluminum tape used for duct-work, used a dremel tool to make things all nice and flat on the inside (got rid of the screw posts) and then put in the lights and hood.

Because of temperature concerns with such a setup (and 80+ degrees in my old eclipse) I installed a small computer fan into the hood as well. It's a little noisy now, but I am going to run in a potentometer to turn down the voltage a bit and make the fan run at a little slower speed. I used a RadioShack 12V AC/DC converter, and connected it to a 1.5"x1.5" fan (part# 272-240)

I also added in an LED Moonlight as you will be able to see in the center of the hood. I used a RadioShack Blue LED (5mm, 2600mcd, 3.7Vf, 20mA), a 6V AC/DC converter and a 100ohm resistor -- soldered it all together and heat-shrinked the tube. It casts a nice soft glow over everything, and a bit of a spotlight in the left side of my tank, which I like.

Here's a pic of the tank itself (half full, with my Windelov Java Fern and the heater just sitting there because I need to keep the water warm)

3 Pics of the hood itself:

And now a pic for the Moonlight - it's not nearly bright enough in the pic, but you get somewhat of the idea.

Feel free to ask questions on how I did things, I'll try to respond the best I can! More pics to come as soon as I get the rest of my plants in!
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2004, 03:08 AM   #2
Geo
Algae Grower

Just want to add: the tape on the LED is just there to hold the light in place till the silicone drys.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:27 AM   #3
titan848
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to titan848

cool, do you have a switch for the moonlight? How do you get it to turn on once the other lights are off? Or is it just running all the time? Did you just add it into the comp fan circut? Im jealous
Old 01-14-2004, 03:51 AM   #4
Geo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan848
cool, do you have a switch for the moonlight? How do you get it to turn on once the other lights are off? Or is it just running all the time? Did you just add it into the comp fan circut? Im jealous
As of now, now switch for the moonlight, I just leave it on all the time. (It's a LED, so something like 11 years of continuous operation) I might put it on a seperate timer (I'll have to take a picture of my power-strip one of these days, lol) to come on and off, but that's just a plan for the future.

I have the fan set on the same timer that the lights are on, so as soon as the lights go on, the fan comes on. (Reason why I didn't put the Moonlight into the same circuit)

Don't be jealous! Do it yourself! It's actually not that hard to do, I would recommend putzing with stuff that you have.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:57 PM   #5
titan848
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to titan848

oh i know i could do it lol, its more the fact that i'd have to get up, get a bus to the hardware store, get the led and some wire, figure out the wiring on that nano cube of mine, sheesh im lazy. Maybe once i move out and buy myself a nice 120g i can just string some christmas lights on the inside .
Old 01-15-2004, 05:18 AM   #6
Geo
Algae Grower

Updated tank pics 1-14-04

Filled it with water, and have been watching the tank temps: With the fan the tank water doesn't hit above 77, in fact, it sits around 76 and then the heater comes on. This is great

Tomorrow I am going to re-splice in a new AC/DC adapter, where I can change the voltage to lower the fan speed (and quiet it down a bit as well)

Next set of pics when ALL the plants come in, like always, comments welcome! Still trying to decide on fish though... gyagh! Everytime I have what I want in my mind, something new always comes up, it really stinks

Old 01-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #7
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You might also want to check out some online computer moding places, as there are a couple of quiter PC fans out there, especialy the Panaflow (from panasonic) fans are quite quiet.

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2004, 04:52 AM   #8
Geo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
You might also want to check out some online computer moding places, as there are a couple of quiter PC fans out there, especialy the Panaflow (from panasonic) fans are quite quiet.
If I didn't already make the hole and silicone the fan into the hood, I might have done that, lol.

I actually went ahead and got a voltage controller AC/DC plug. It goes from 1.5-3-4.5-6-7.5-9-12 volts, and if I keep the fan on 6 or 7.5 it's pretty much silent and keeps the hood at a pleasent temperature, 77º is the hottest it gets now, and I am pretty happy about that.

I also went ahead and picked up some inhabitants for the tank. I picked up some Cryp Lutea as well, as I wait for my shipment of plants to come in.

I picked up a small 1" Sunset honey gourami. he's acclimitized very well, still won't accept Hikari micro pellets or most flakes, but has been nibbling on everything in the aquarium in the meantime. I love watching him swim around and explore his domain, gouramis are VERy graceful, I love 'em!

I also picked up a trio of Pygmy Cories! They are like half in inch long, and have taken a little longer to adjust to the new surroundings. I'm going to keep a close eye on them, as I have heard they don't ship all too well, but I plan on upping the number to 7 or so total of them for the aquarium.

Pics of them and the complete setup come later once things settle down a bit.

I might pick up an amano shrimp or two as well in the next day or so, depending on availability.

If anyone wants to comment on my fish selection feel free.

My plans:
1 Sunset Honey Gourami
7 Pygmy Cories
3-4 Amano Shrimp

Wondering if I should add anything else, was thinking about dwarf pencilfish as well. The tank will be heavily planted, and I tend to be very good about water changes as well. So I am not too worried about over-stocking the tank right now.

Comments welcome, in fact they are encouraged!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:40 AM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

The wood in the eco-complete looks awesome. Lots of potential for a beautiful aquascape. Did you buy that driftwood? Did it sink without problems?

I am just wondering, and maybe that's old news, but isn't it too early to add fishies after two days? I know that eco-complete comes with bacteria, still, I would have waited a little longer to give the filter a chance to get settled in.

Looking forward to see it planted. Thank God I got broadband :mrgreen:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #10
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I fully stocked my 12 gal the day after I added the eco-complete without any problems.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
Geo
Algae Grower

Very interesting about the eco-complete!

I'm going to be monitering Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels for the next few days very carefully. I'm also using my old biowheel paper from my eclipse in the aquaclear to give the bacteria a head start.

All the wood sank right away, except for the left peice. 3 hours of boiling fixed that though. :twisted:

So far with the morning status:
Honey Gourami made it through the night
1 Pygmy made it through, and one died for sure. No location on the 3rd one yet. I will check once the lights go back on.

Tis sad Hopefully the others shipped better.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

Cute little guy in there. Make sure you keep it alive.

80 g, Eheim Pro II w Hagen Surface Skimmer, TetraTec IN-1000, JBL Aquabasis and Sand subtrate,
1st 40w Lighting: 40W Marine Glo
2nd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Power Glo
3rd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Aqua Glo
Whole set of Azoo fertilizers
3.8 kg Pressurized co2 tank
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2004, 02:10 PM   #13
Geo
Algae Grower

As long as things go as they are, it shouldn't be a problem!

I guess I should've said some stuff as to my experience and who I am, I'll do that now

University of Wisconsin - Madison student, I'm a bike racer (Road and Mountain cycling) for the UW, big on green things, gardening, houseplants, etc. Studying landscape architecture, and if they had a course on Aquascaping, I'd take it.

When I was 13 or so I had a 20 gallon tall tank that housed live plants that grew quite well for me even with min. light, no fertalizers and all that other stuff (easy stuff though, Twisted vallis, Apontagon Crispus, Anubias and bananna plants) and never had a real big algal bloom either. Had a nice school of 6 or so bleeding heart tetras, of which I had never seen colors look so good in books as it did with them in person. I kept that tank running for almost three years, after a rocky start with a 5.5gallon and goldfish, which then housed glowlight tetras. So at that time I had 4 years in the hobby, of which I read every single book on aquariums that the library had to offer. Even subscribed to AFM for a good 3 or 4 years.

Fast forward to now. After a good 4-5 year break, I get back in the hobby, now in college. Had previous setup running great for a year, and now I am on this one, which I hope to keep running for quite a long time.

*whew* Ok, that's out of the way now. As far as the aquarium goes, I am going to re-test the water before I head out today and if ammonia/nitrites continue to read 0ppm, then it will be time to add a couple more cories to the tank. Go me!

I think I'll pick up some frozen tubifex worms for my guys today, bloodworms are way too big for their little mouths!
Old 01-18-2004, 06:46 AM   #14
Geo
Algae Grower

Small update:

It seems Eco-complete might have cycled my tank in a day.

Ammonia and Nitrites remain at 0ppm, and I am running almost 5ppm of Nitrates. I tested 0 of each yesterday, so I added 3 more cories.

Tested again today, and added 2 more(all LFS had). Two died from the first batch, but the rest remain! So that makes 6 cories total.

They really do a lot better in larger groups, they are very outgoing now and even quite playful. Forming their own little schools, and just being fishy.

I will check ammonia/nitrite again tomorrow, but will be surprised if I see anything different than what I have seen.

Still no plants though ... hopefully everything is ok over at AB.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #15
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

um y do you havew the heater in the gravel,doesn't thisa cause breakage?
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.