why do i have another flood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
jasb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

why do i have another flood

I have yet another flood, and the other half is going off. Why do i continue to put myself though this. I was given a 2200 liter canister filter. The water travels out of the tank, though a recently built inline heater, though my cheap dodgy filter, though my diy reactor then back to my tank, the tank is 125 gal. It all worked well foe a week, then i had to go away, when i returned my crypts had melded, filter had stopped, water was cold. I believe than it had sucked in air as the filter could not get enough water, so i just made a bigger intake, got it started then water came pissing out the main oring, the only thing worst was the 'comments' from the other half, did i cause the filter to die? was it too many things going on? I may not live though the night, any help would be great
jasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

What kind of filter is it...?

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

Sorry, but the end of your post made me laugh. If we don't hear back from you, RIP jasb

We need more information here:

1) How did air get sucked into the filter? Did the water level drop below the intake?
2) The inline heater should come after the filter. In fact all in-line equipment should come after the filter.
3) As above, what kind of filter? Filters are not something you want to skimp on usually, along with heaters. If they fail, everything goes to hell very quickly.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
jasb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The in line heater is on the inlet side, and the filter is a cheap ebay one. The filter seems to suck air in at times, The plumbing all seems good, I am going out today to get another filter. Im i expecting to much from my filter, if i get an fx5 or eheim pro will i still get this problem. Its driving me insane. I know other are doing what i am trying to do. If buying i new filter will do the trick its an expensive but easy fix, or is my plumbing around the wrong way?
jasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

I would start with a new filter so you at least eliminate leak issues from that. Again, put your in-line heater after your filter. This eliminates any potential air leakage going into your filter as well as keeping it cleaner.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

You may have too much weight on the intake and return lines that is causing it to leak. Take off all your accessories and see if that helps. If it does you might want to think about supporting your ILH and CO2 diffusor so its not hanging on the hoses.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote