My Mr Aqua 3 Gallon Bowfront
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

My Mr Aqua 3 Gallon Bowfront

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while and gathering information.

Created my first aquascape last week using methods I found here

I'm a little bit excited (okay I'm really excited). My girlfriend cringes every time I say the word "Aquarium" now. Hehehe

Technical info:
Mr Aqua 3 Gallon Bowfront
Catalina Aquarium Light w/ 2x13w power compact bulbs (unsure of spectrum, one is white, one is slightly blue)
Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Soil capped w/ Black Petco Sand
Flora: bacopa monnieri, rotala wallichii, Eleocharis arcicularis (I think. It's DHG. )
Fauna: betta splendens
Rocks are from my local riverbed
Azoo nano filter w/ Seachem Purigen
Hydor 7.5w slim heater
Black Plasti-dip'd Background

Here are some pics! Thoughts, opinions, critiques, etc. all welcome! As well as any advice Tank has been up and running for about 5 days now.

My apologies for low picture quality. All pics were shot on my iPhone 4
Erichenderson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

You say the tank has been up and running for 5 days now but also some of the pictures have the betta in there. 5 days is really too short to have a fully cycled tank without swapping filters from established tanks. Are you measuring your water parameters?

Like the tank. Not sure about the rock placement. It looks to man made to me. Maybe try placing them randomly and using the larger one maybe in the corner to try and make your ledge. Or stack them to form a mountain of sorts into the corner with you sand climbing with the rocks.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Bettafins
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice job! Love the Mr Aqua tank and the betta! Are you planning co2?

Last edited by Bettafins; 08-27-2013 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: Skipped the writing and when straight to the pics! Lol
Bettafins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
You say the tank has been up and running for 5 days now but also some of the pictures have the betta in there. 5 days is really too short to have a fully cycled tank without swapping filters from established tanks. Are you measuring your water parameters?

Like the tank. Not sure about the rock placement. It looks to man made to me. Maybe try placing them randomly and using the larger one maybe in the corner to try and make your ledge. Or stack them to form a mountain of sorts into the corner with you sand climbing with the rocks.
Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I should have mentioned that my betta previously lived in a 2.5g Marineland tank prior to my purchase of the Mr. Aqua. (The 2.5g tank died during a fatal "de-rimming" accident )

My filter, which was running on that tank, was swapped directly into the Mr. Aqua tank. Admittedly, it was a little hasty, however my water parameters were okay at the time of my betta's arrival. Nitrates and Nitrites read 0 ppm, and ammonia looked to be slightly higher than 0 ppm, though below the next testing threshold (0.25 ppm). He has been thriving in the tank since his "release". He also eats a TON, which is why I named him "Pig". I just tested the water again, and the Nitrates/Nitrites still read the same at 0 ppm, but the ammonia looks to have increased to ~0.25 ppm. Hopefully Pig will be okay, because I had no other place to put him after his old home shattered.

Also, I do agree that the rock formation does look very man made. I am appreciative for your constructive criticism, though. This being my first attempt at aquascaping, I am still a noob when it comes to establishing a focal point/where to draw the viewer's eye, etc. I like the mountain idea, but did not have enough/the right kind of rocks to make it work how I envisioned it. Only an excuse to go out and buy more/find more rocks, though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafins View Post
Nice job! Love the Mr Aqua tank and the betta! Are you planning co2?
Thank you very much!! The betta was a Petsmart "rescue" and I am SUPER thrilled with the tank itself. After lurking this forum for a while, I fell in love with rimless tanks

Currently I dose Flourish Excel, as I've read that DIY CO2 is too unstable for so small a tank, and I haven't yet committed to a larger setup. I do have a 60 gallon (unplanted) tank that will probably receive CO2 + lighting upgrade (and then, plants!!) before I commit to CO2 in the 3 gallon, though.

Hopefully the Excel will be sufficient for now!!
Erichenderson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sounds good. I apologize then about the cycle issue. . It looks like a great start. I wouldn't worry about the rocks for now. I have rescaped my tank probably 10 times by now as I add more rocks, plants, and every time it gets a little better, which you will find your does as well.
Good luck! Remember to do what you like. Constructive criticism is great, as long as you listen to your own opinions as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Sounds good. I apologize then about the cycle issue. . It looks like a great start. I wouldn't worry about the rocks for now. I have rescaped my tank probably 10 times by now as I add more rocks, plants, and every time it gets a little better, which you will find your does as well.
Good luck! Remember to do what you like. Constructive criticism is great, as long as you listen to your own opinions as well.
Thanks for the support.

I was messing with the tank a little yesterday, and the dirt started to come up through the sand a little, so I won't be touching it anymore

There's always the next tank, though!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Here's a little update:

My bacopa monnieri seems to have adjusted well to the tank, (it was really cool to notice how they all perked up and adjusted to the light). Many of the stalks have roots growing all over the place. I've trimmed off 3-4 and replanted the cuttings in the foreground of the tank.

My rotala wallichii is growing some new pieces too (exciting! )

The hairgrass I have is... meh. May or may not replace it with say... glosso? Haven't decided yet.

Anyway, here are a few pics (again, sorry for the quality. Once day i'll upgrade to an actual camera and stop using my phone.)

P.S. here is a link to a video of what I do with the snails in my tanks when they grow too big...

Oh and P.P.S., I kind of maybe bought another Mr. Aqua 3 gallon bowfront.

Will update when I get it set up, but I'm going with a frosted white background and Pool filter sand, so it'll be kind of opposite of this tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (18).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	203385  

Name:	photo (19).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	203393  

Name:	photo (21).jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	203401  

Name:	photo (20).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	203409  

Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Oh, and also. I noticed that the bulbs that came with my Catalina Aquarium light are 10000K and actinic. I've read that actinic bulbs are bleh for freshwater planted tanks, and I went ahead and ordered two bulbs in 6500k. They'll be here Thursday.

Will it make a difference in plant growth?

Should I go 6500k for one, and 10000k for the other, or both 6500k?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
Basil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

This is one SWEET nano! Beautiful!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
This is one SWEET nano! Beautiful!
Hey Basil,

Thanks for the compliment!!

Here's an update:

Got some algae growing (of course), and haven't really had time to take some good pictures, but my bacopa monnieri is growing like a weed. Had 3-4 stalks of it reach a few inches out of my tank! Now i've trimmed it all down (not pictured) to about 1/2 the tank height (approx 6"), and planted it closer together in hopes of possibly making it into a bush one day.

My Rotala Wallichii is growing well. I've trimmed off some dead pieces, and the new growths seem healthy and strong, and are a vibrant green. I'm guessing i'll have to do more than dose Excel in order to get them to turn red/pink, but that's later down the road.

My hairgrass is meh. Contemplated just getting rid of it completely, but not sure what to replace it with so I haven't.

Added a few plants from my new tank including a piece of limnophila aquatica, as well as some stems of glosso. Planning to let them adjust to my tank, then trim them down in hopes they spread

Anyway, here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	209089  

Name:	photo 4 (1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	209097  

Name:	photo 5 (1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	209105  

Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Another update:

Got my new 3g Bowfront rolling as well. Themed opposite from my current tank in that the new one is mostly white! Here's the info:

Tank: Mr. Aqua 3 Gallon Bowfront
Lighting: Finnex FugeRay 12"
Substrate: White Petco Sand (could not find anything smaller than a 90lb bag of PFS, which was too much $$), with Seachem Flourish Tabs
Flora: bacopa monnieri (1-2 cuttings), rotala wallichii (1-2 cuttings), Limnophila aquatica, Glossostigma elatinoides, Echinodorus angustifolia, Hygrophila difformis
Fauna: female betta splendens (she's a crowntail!!)
Sandblasted manzanita branches
Azoo nano filter w/ Seachem Purigen
Hydor 7.5w slim heater
Frosted/white-ish background (bought from an art supply store), though tbh it's not thick enough because once I filled the tank, the white disappeared

Here are some pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	209121  

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	209129  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	209137  

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	209145  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	209153  

Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the wood that you have in there. Beautiful bettas!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
I like the wood that you have in there. Beautiful bettas!
Thanks !!

The wood is sandblasted Manzanita! The website I got it from sells it in all different sizes, and they have natural color (dark brown) as well. Easy to cut with a hacksaw/pair of dikes (for the smaller pieces) so it fits into your tank.

Thinking about doing a rescape on my male betta's tank (black sand) and taking out the rocks and adding in the natural color manzanita.. just need to decide what plants to add and such. Anyway, everyday is an adventure
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

I like it. Nice and light, kind of refreshing.

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenportsJohn View Post
I like it. Nice and light, kind of refreshing.
Thank you!

Unfortunately I'm having a major algae problem in this tank now, most likely caused by the lack of plants in the tank (at least I think). Ordered a plant package from a forum member, so I should be good to go soon enough