My Experience With Blue-Green Algae, Cyanobacteria
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

My Experience With Blue-Green Algae, Cyanobacteria

I have had BGA, as this bacteria is commonly called, in my 10 gallon tank for the past couple of months. After getting much feedback about the cause and how to cure it, I finally chose too much dissolved organics in the water, which is in turn caused by too much organic stuff in the substrate.

I vacuumed the substrate, amid some protests, adjusted my lighting about an inch higher, and now I am getting ready to suck up the last remnants of the plague of BGA.

Many of my plants succumbed to the BGA as it took over the tank. If I had it to do again, I would do the above mentioned procedures and immediately dose with Maracyn (erythromycin) as directed. It would have saved so much pain

Steven
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, I remembered there is one other thing that I did that probably had an impact - my substrate is gravel that is too big, originally labeled "Natural Gravel", and it was greater than 1-1/2" high. I removed enough gravel so that it is now 1-1/2" high. Very small gravel, smaller than normal gravel, is recommended so that it's easier to plant in and so it doesn't hinder the growth of the roots.

Steven
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Could it be poor circulation? I'm currently in my 3rd day of my blackout and tomorrow I'll unveil the results. BGA has been my biggest enemy in the hobby.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
Could it be poor circulation? I'm currently in my 3rd day of my blackout and tomorrow I'll unveil the results. BGA has been my biggest enemy in the hobby.
I just read a post in thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...wpost&t=123109 that says the problem could be not vacuuming the gravel or not cleaning the filter. Also, low NO3 is supposed to cause BGA but BGA also uptakes all available NO3.

I think it's best to have good circulation in a tank and it helps with the BGA.

I'd also recommend you using Maracyn or other Erythromycin product asap before the plants die from being overgrown by BGA.

Steven

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-31-2013 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I believe the correlation with low N is that cyanobacteria can fix their own N, but they can be flexible with which sources they uptake as well.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Dirty water and poor circulation and too bright of lighting will cause it but I have a 4" bed of turface and that's not the cause
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
mermaid11

I just finished a course of erythro in my tank and it has cleared up nicely but i have a question, directions said to remove filter media while treating. Should the filtermedia be returned to filter? And if so- wont that reinfect the tank? Help!
mermaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Typically poor oxygenated, and high in waste byproduct water with the aid of bright light leads to a cyano outbreak in freshwater tanks. I'd push more flow, and get more surface agitation going with bigger, and more frequent water changes, and less food should get rid of it fairly fast.

The stuff can be toxic so where ever it is clean it off, vacuum it out.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
Pi Guy
Algae Grower

I had lots of this in my 10-gallon tank. After a while, I decided to perform a 5-day blackout (with a large vacuum afterwards) and a hydrogen peroxide soak for the plants. It worked very well and my tank is now cyano-free.
Pi Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
Caconym
Algae Grower

Just to share another experience: We had a bga carpet form while away for a few days. It was removed using suction and a 3 day blackout. Hasn't come back for 3 days, so fingers crossed.
Caconym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've had pond snails eat cyano when I offered them no other food. Anyone else have this happen?
Kehy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue-green algae, cyanobacteria, erythromycin