Book Club Anyone?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Book Club Anyone?

Okay, so I'm a person that is obsessed with books. Like, I could marry a book if it were legal. So I want to share to you guys some books that I've been obsessing over during the past few years of my young life. I'm mostly interested in the fantasy genre, because it gives me a sense of longing to be involved with a particular book. Anyways, let's get in with this. Here are some of my favorite series:
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Maximum Ride
Blood of Eden
Divergent
The Mortal Instruments
Lorien Legacies
The Hunger Games
Some of these books have also been made into movies, which I've also seen. I've seen The Lightning Thief and Sea of Monsters, which came from the Percy Jackson fandom, City of Bones, which cane from The Mortal Instruments, I Am Number Four, fom Lorien Legacies, and The Hunger Games.

Here's to all you bookworms on TPT: Get in here and talk about what books you've read and what books you recommend to me or some other bookworms! We can all obsess over and talk about some books that we've read!
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Tiamat86
Algae Grower

I just started the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. I think the first one was written in the late 60s or early 70s. Hilarious fantasy world that is just so much fun!
Tiamat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)

Recommending books to you would require knowing how old you are. Fountainhead is good. Atlas Shrugged is great. If you're younger get lost in the adventures of the Hardy Boys. Or Tom Corbett Space Cadet. Or the Rick Brant detective series. The Pearl was fun to read as is most of Steinbeck's work. Same with Conan Doyle. I never read Mark Twain in school but enjoyed it immensely as an adult.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm reading the Maidens of Mayfar serious book 2 now. I loved the Promises to Keep serious, waiting for book 6 to come out.

I'm always reading books. Can't sleep without reading at night.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Recommending books to you would require knowing how old you are.
lol nonsense! As a child I greatly enjoyed being read the LOTR. Even thou I probably couldn't have read it myself. Age has little to do with reading ability tho, or what some people enjoy reading.

As a pre teen I demolished David Eddings "Belgariad" and the aforementioned "Xanth" series by Pierce Anthony. However to this day I still enjoy picking up some childrens books such "Little Critter" books by Mercer Myer, and who doesn't know of Dr. Seuss. I'm currently reading a classic called "Sea Faries" by the author of "The wizard of Oz" L. Frank Baum.

I'm eagerly awaiting the latest book released by Kathy Reiches, "Bones of the Lost", to be delivered to my Kindle. (FYI Her Temperance Brennan series is the inspiration for the tv series "BONES")
kal_daka87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Recommending books to you would require knowing how old you are. Fountainhead is good. Atlas Shrugged is great.
Fountainhead is great and Atlas Shrugged is even better!
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Braxx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Here is some for the truly nerdy folks out there:

Hitch-22
The Fellowship -John Gribbin
The Varieties of Scientific Experience -Carl Sagan / Ann Druyan
The Fabric of the Cosmos -Brian Greene

Braxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love the Xanth series. Another series I enjoy with a lot of humor is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Urban wizard in Chicago. Can't go wrong there. As a family, we enjoy all of Rick Riordan's books (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles).

I'm a freelance book editor, so I come across a lot of indie authors in my social media feed. You can find these authors on Amazon... they're all authors I've read. For horror, look up Morgan Gallagher, Justin Bog, Jason McIntyre, Philip Hemplow, Chuck Wendig. For fantasy/paranormal, check out JK Ensley, Brian Braden, Jonathan Yanez, William Vaughn, Shane Scollins. My hubby and I even wrote a book. Won't use this forum to self-promote, however... though I am proud that we actually finished it. Trying to decide what to write next.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Passage by Justin Cronin
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat86 View Post
I just started the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. I think the first one was written in the late 60s or early 70s. Hilarious fantasy world that is just so much fun!
The Xanth series sounds like an awesome one! I'll go to the library next week and definitely check it out!

Quote:
Recommending books to you would require knowing how old you are. Fountainhead is good. Atlas Shrugged is great. If you're younger get lost in the adventures of the Hardy Boys. Or Tom Corbett Space Cadet. Or the Rick Brant detective series. The Pearl was fun to read as is most of Steinbeck's work. Same with Conan Doyle. I never read Mark Twain in school but enjoyed it immensely as an adult.
All those books sound so interesting! And I'm 13, turning 14 in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosspearl View Post
Love the Xanth series. Another series I enjoy with a lot of humor is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Urban wizard in Chicago. Can't go wrong there. As a family, we enjoy all of Rick Riordan's books (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles).

I'm a freelance book editor, so I come across a lot of indie authors in my social media feed. You can find these authors on Amazon... they're all authors I've read. For horror, look up Morgan Gallagher, Justin Bog, Jason McIntyre, Philip Hemplow, Chuck Wendig. For fantasy/paranormal, check out JK Ensley, Brian Braden, Jonathan Yanez, William Vaughn, Shane Scollins. My hubby and I even wrote a book. Won't use this forum to self-promote, however... though I am proud that we actually finished it. Trying to decide what to write next.
Thanks for those author recommendations! I'll definitely check them out! And I'm also starting to write a book, I'm on the planning period, but I have no idea what to write about! *frustrated* I try to include lots of fantasy and romance into what I read/write
Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Axelrod12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I always liked Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card. I've read most of the shadow saga and have recently been planning on finishing it and then reading the ender saga.
Axelrod12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal_daka87 View Post
lol nonsense! As a child I greatly enjoyed being read the LOTR. Even thou I probably couldn't have read it myself. Age has little to do with reading ability tho, or what some people enjoy reading.
When I was a child there was no such thing as LOTR.

Quote:
All those books sound so interesting! And I'm 13, turning 14 in December.
At that age me and a friend of mine, another avid reader, use to go to a used bookstore in NYC. (Times were different) That's where I found some real treasures. I've got a 1940's edition of one of the Hardy Boys books.

My recommendation is always to look at some of the older writers.

Books are great. No film could ever take you to places like your own imagination can.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Books are films going on in my head. Anyone else feel that way? I see what I read.

I'm currently reading "No Shortcuts to the Top" by climbing legend Ed Viesturs. I've also got some lost-at-sea nonfiction awaiting me. I'm an armchair adventurer. I've climbed giant mountains, sailed the world, encountered sharks and tidal waves....all from the safety of my comfy recliner.
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I've been reading Game of Thrones (and watched the series) this past summer and loving every minute of it. Things can get boring at times but its because of thorough descriptions.
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well guys, I just finished Delirium by Lauren Olivers and am now on Unwind by Neal Shusterman. So far, it's really good! I plan on finishing before the end of the week!