Power Compact bulbs...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-15-2002, 06:10 AM   #1
danpbmx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to danpbmx

right now i have two 36 inch 30 watt bulbs, on my 38 gallon, that is just 1.6 watts per gallon...my plants are doing ok i would have to say but i was wondering if i could do this...i saw the power compact bulbs and hood from All-Glass (it comes with two power compact bulbs plus reflectors) it is a total of 110 watts, that is perfect, 2.9 watts per gallon,do you think this would be fine? i could always just get one of those 3 bulbed hoods if flourecents are better than power compacts...

by the way i would also get the smart lamp with it,which features a combination of true 10,000K Premium Daylight and Ultra-Actinic color temperatures good for photo syn. earth defining color and such...
danpbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2002, 12:35 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Get the All-glass fixture. PCs are better than standard flourescents. They give off more light per watt than standard flourescents. One of my fixtures is an All-Glass 2x55 with the 9325k bulbs and the other fixture is a strip light converted with an AHSupply 2x55 kit and 5700k bulbs. Do not get actinic bulbs for a planted tank, they're the wrong spectrum for plants. You'll be very happy with the All-glass fixture. You can get it atBigAlsOnline for $99. Or check out the retro-fit kits atAHsupply.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:35 AM   #3
danpbmx
Algae Grower

so should i just keep the bulbs that come with the power compact??
Old 12-16-2002, 11:48 AM   #4
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most likely they aren't right, but you can see how your plants do. If you want to swtich, go to AHSupply and get their 5300 K 93 CRI bulbs.

-Tim
Old 12-17-2002, 01:30 AM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Get the All-Glass fixture with the 9325K bulbs. The Plants will grow well with those bulbs. I'm using them on my tank and the plants are doing great. The light is a little on the violet side because they have a peak in the red and a peak in the blue spectrum, but not enough to detract from the tank. They actually highlight the plants quite nicely. They are far brighter than the 5700k bulbs I got from AHsupply. You may find ,once you set up the light, that you might want to mix it with a whiter light. Thats what I did and the mix of the 2 bulbs compliment each other.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:24 AM   #6
danpbmx
Algae Grower

thanx m.lemay, i was always worrying about watts per gallon and i was looking through my pet stores All-Glass book and i was like whoa im getting this, haha