The Planted Tank Forum banner

Manzy 40b (update planting started 1/16/14

10K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  Jess123 
#1 · (Edited)
After the birth of my daughter, I was overwhelmed trying to keep 9 tanks(4 high tech) I took everything down with the exception of two tanks one riparium and one low tech tank too hold 1-2 of each plant species.

I've kept everything from nano tanks too large tanks. Ive always wanted a 40b but never had one. My plan is too just have 1 really nice 40b I've been collecting stuff for this build for a while now.

I started building my stand this week. Here's where I'm at.

Wood Flooring Hardwood Gas Wood stain

I will be doing more work on it this week and I will post updates as I go. Thanks for looking! Enjoy!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah it may be slightly overbuilt, but I wanted to make it sturdier than the average stand. Most of them tend to have some flex. I put 600lbs on it(2 of my larger friends) and it didn't budge. Tomorow I'm going to start skinning the sides with tongue and groove knotty pine paneling.

#8 ·
Nice stand there. Looks good and sturdy. I am sure the braces cost more than the wood or close to it. It would look just as good if it wasn't skinned. It has a nice industrial style to it with brackets being visible.

I like redundancy when it comes to a tank stand. If you look at it from the stand point that would prefer your tank staying on its stand or on the floor, its a no brainier.

#9 ·
I also really liked the idea of and industrial style stand, if I didnt have a 16 month old running around I probably would have gone that route.

Yeah the braces may have been overkill. I stole the frame design from someone's 40b reef build I saw while googling, that stand looked really nice and simple so I replicated the frame. I'm in to the whole stand roughly 220$ the brackets ran me around 75$ of that, I had no idea they were so expensive until I got to home depot with my list. I was not exactly thrilled when they rang everything up, I think it will be worth it though.

#25 ·
Probably just what I have left in my 10 gallon

Madagascar lace
Crypt wendti
Hygro polysperma
Hygro sunset
Limnophilla aromatica
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala colorata
Anubias nana

And a few others I can't recall the names of ATM.

#26 ·
Wow, great looking stand. When I saw the first post, I was thinking it was just another DIY build that would be exposed of covered with regular plywood. That looks great, it has style but the trim is not overly done so it's "ornate" while being staying pretty sleek and contemporary at the same time. Manzy looks great as well.

What are you doing for lighting? Hood, on tank or raised. I think it's one of the few stands of that style where hung light would really fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.