Slime Sucking Oto. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #16
masYPSI
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The "rouge" Otto. I've read about them in a mag. Although rare, they are out there. I think I would keep an eye on this behavior for a while.

Interesting thought about feeding time. Maybe their half blind, or maybe their "RETARDED" or at least dumb.
ghost shrimp, 4 Red Phantom, 4 Black Phantoms, 20 White Clouds, 2 julidochromis marlieri, 1 farowella,
5 martii swords, Rotala roundfolia, Rotala macrandra, Rotala goias, 2 Java Ferns, 1 Anubia 'nana, 3 crispus, 1 Amazon Sword (narrow), A bunch of Water Lettuce, Ludwiga Repens,
masYPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #17
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would catch it and dispose of it.

A slime-sucking Otto killed my last angelfish. During the day, I would see the angel darting almost constantly to get away from the otto, but at night, in the dark, he could not see, and thus not move, and the otto scraped away slime, and scales, and that was it for the angel.

In my experience, ottos are useless. Snails eat far more algae.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #18
maswan0
Algae Grower

I had one otto out of a group I bought do this to my angels. Repeatedly. (Well, I think it was just one -- they all look pretty similar!) It was euthanized rather quickly. And I haven't seen it happen since, which adds to my belief that it was one rogue otto.
maswan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #19
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I've heard of reports (over at SimplyDiscus) where otos have sucked on discus...no deaths, but just annoyance. Mine don't touch anything but the plants, substrate and walls (knock on wood). I'm surprised that the cory gets bugged since it basically has a suit of armor.