My Betta Jar
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

My Betta Jar

Had this extra jar sitting around and dont need another shrimp jar, so figured i would make it a betta tank since ive never owned one.

Id like to say its a 2.5gal jar but im not sure yet (will try to check with next water change). Miracle grow capped with silica sand because i love the way the white pops and i dont know what all i want to plant in here yet.

As of right now i just have the elodea, but was thinking of adding a narrow leaf java fern on a small rock. There will be no ferts/co2 just like my shrimp jar, and i will try to not put moss in here lol

Im also not sure on the wattage of the led lamp, box didnt say and i bought it a while ago, we will see if its enough to grow anything...

And heres a picture of my male betta (Bob)

I will update this soon...

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 09-09-2013 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: ...
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Braxx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Tankyou, I've seen a few of your journals lately and a few start with just one little humble plant in this seemingly big 'ole jar. I'm going to start calling it the TYVM Method! looking good as always.
Braxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

lol. Its only because my plant stock is still young and starting up, not much to go around. I am also super impatient and dont like waiting for things to grow before adding fauna like most people, id rather watch it grow with the fish as long as the parameters are right, theyre going in. Hah. I am also a big fan of simple looking scapes that arent overcrowded... Im sure ill have a jungle tank someday tho
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

doesn't it need a filter?
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

20-25% wc twice a week was the plan instead of a filter... Most people who keep these have them in tiny jars and probably do water changes every couple-few weeks...

Right?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

It does look cool with one plant but I think it may be a bad idea. I would add some floaters or Anacharis to suck up some nitrates etc until you have good growth with your other permanent plants.

Once you have good growth, I top off and like you said every couple of weeks water change
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Five gallons is bare bones minimum.. Ten is is actually recommended as a minimum... Just because wild bettas are found clinging to life in small puddles during the dry season, which is where the idea they only need a small bowl with no filtration came from, doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated better... I agree, more plants ASAP.. Hyacinth would be nice as a natural filter... I'm in the process of turning an aqueon 15 gallon column into a riparium.. It'll hold 10 gallons of water, be somewhat heavily planted and have a small fluval 106 and house a single high quality betta and maybe a couple corys or something else to help keep it clean. For lighting, I'm using a 35 watt 6500k compact fluorescent in a black clip lamp... I'm going to derim it first... I didn't have to buy anything though,, already had everything sitting in a closet... I'll probably do liquid carbon supplementation and root tabs...
I admit, what you've done looks cool... But my opinion is it is inefficient... Good luck
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

I never said it was finished with plants...

Before reading this, i did add some floaters just to make it look fuller.

And, sorry but he will have to deal with his 2.5gal. Either that or nothing at all, i was simply sayin, he will be happier than dying in his cup or going to someone who knows nothing about fish

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 09-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
I never said it was finished with plants...

Before reading this, i did add some floaters just to make it look fuller.

And, sorry but he will have to deal with his 5gal. Either that or nothing at all, i was simply sayin, he will be happier than dying in his cup or going to someone who knows nothing about fish
Good Luck... Remember, just because your setup isn't as bad as "most people's" doesn't make yours good...be religious about water changes and testing... Sorry,, I'm just a firm believer in the philosophy, that if we rob an animal of it's freedom for our pleasure, we owe it to that animal to give it our very best... I also subscribe to the theory that if you can't afford it don't have it.. That applies to kids, animals and even cars and houses... All the things mentioned have a lot more cost than original purchase price..... I get pissed when I hear about stuff like people having their dog put down because they can't afford the vet bill,, or fish suffering because the person was too cheap to buy proper filtration etc etc

But like I said, you're betta jar does look cool... I hope you keep him healthy and happy
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

So, whats better:

This 2.5gal tall jar, no filter, twice weekly wc
Or
2gal square vase but would be able to have a filter

The hob cant fit on the current jar

Not into buying a new tank for him (because i want a jar, not because money issues)

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 09-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
So, whats better:

This 5gal tall jar, no filter, twice weekly wc
Or
2gal square vase but would be able to have a filter

The hob, ob cant fit on the current jar

Not into buying a new tank for him (because i want a jar, not because money issues)
You could do a small external filter.. Even a DIY miniature planted bog filter with pea gravel and plant, placed in that two gallon square vase you mentioned that waterfalls into the jar would work.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
FungusTrooper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Get a sponge filter. This is the exact thing a sponge filter is for.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
Briz
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Another important aspect for Betta health is being overlooked. Bettas do best in temperatures of around 76-82 degrees F. You may consider adding a heater if you want Bob to flourish. Otherwise, he will likely not be as colorful or active in cooler water; it could also lower his immune system capabilities. If you're only interested in having a beautiful tank and not caring for the fish, then by all means ignore our advice. If you ever have any questions about proper Betta care and how knowledgeable people keep them, check out http://www.bettafish.com/. Fantastic forum for Betta enthusiasts.

Quote:
Remember, just because your setup isn't as bad as "most people's" doesn't make yours good
+1
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Just because i dont know doesnt mean i dont care.

Exhibit A:

Seeing this, im wondering if i should just donate the fish and use it as a shrimp jar, not because its work, but i was looking for something clean and not clogged with wires/tubes

I am about to google, but can anything else be kept in here besides shrimp? I know its a small list

-edit-
Filter is from a friends tank, so its cycled just fyi... Also added panty hose incase i add something tiny

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 08-19-2013 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: .
Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #15
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

A glass lily pipe to a nano filter wouldn't look too bad. You could have a glass straw return pipe. could also put a reptile heating pad under the tank/jar... I still think it's too small,, but these ideas might get you the clean look you're after

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.