Tank Stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
WZ9V
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank Stand

I'm planning to build my own tank stand for a 20 gallon tank (24x12) based on the picture.

Would 2x2 legs be sufficiently strong as a substitute for the 4x4 legs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images

WZ9V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
neontetras4me
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I wouldn't doubt that if you constructed it well it would work, but it is better to be safe than sorry, maybe 2x4s?
neontetras4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

2x2s don't have enough meat for fasteners. Unless you use traditional joinery likee lap joints or mortise and tenon. Instead of 2 x 2 use 2 x 3. I built racks with them for 22 gallon breeders 4 high Lap joints and screws no glue.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
WZ9V
Algae Grower

With that metal corner joint each 2x2 will have a total of 4 screws holding it.

Problem is finding 2x4s that will look good finished. I was planning to use the higher grade pine and it does not come in 2x4 only 2x2. I was trying to stick with the best stuff I could find at Home Depot. On the horizontal edges I was going to have to double up the boards because I could only get 1x6 in those.

Maybe I'll have to hunt down some cedar like that guy used. Those brackets I have are meant for 2x4 dimensional lumber. That company also makes some meant for 2x2s that they recommend for garage shelving.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
GraphicGr8s
Banned

You could also glue up some 1 x 4 material in whatever wood is available. The construction stuff is usually spruce. You could also look at poplar. Poplar is usually paint grade but when stained correctly looks good. HD has what they call super strips. 1 x 4 with knots. Not something I normally use but in my last house I used it for raised panel doors for the kitchen. After all was said and done it really did look good.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
WZ9V
Algae Grower

I found a place that sells smooth cedar in 2x4 dimensional sizes. Cedar is what was used in that picture but I'm not going to use 4x4 for the posts like they did, maybe if it were a bigger tank. I was able to get the same braces they used but setup for 2x4 legs.

The braces are sweet because they hold the horizontal boards from the bottom in addition to the sides. This will be way stronger than any store bought stand. I'm also dreaming up ways to close up the sides/front to hide equipment. Rather than a door, I'm thinking removable panel held on with magnets.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've done most of my stands with the higher-grade 2x4s and 2x3s at Home Depot/Lowes. Supposedly they are kiln dried, but I'm somewhat skeptical about that.

You might have to poke around the pallet a bit, but I've usually managed to find some decent pieces (plus, for most stands, you really only need a couple of 8' boards). Also, the whole piece doesn't need to be perfect, it just has to have good sections that you can cut up into the parts you need.

And to echo what GraphicGr8s said above; I'm fairly certain a 2x2 would be plenty strong enough if the stand is built correctly, but I wouldn't want to deal with trying to put fasteners in that small of a piece of wood.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'll wanna browse this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2121735

2x4 is way more than enough for vertical support, and horizontal support in this case. 2x2 will work if you have a skin to hold it together (1/2" plywood is tons). If I really wanted to do 2x2s, I'd be using construction adhesive between the skin and 2x2s as well.

Clamp all that up for the adhesive to set, and no worries about structure.

If you can budget for the nice 'finished' dimensional lumber from a proper lumber yard - do it! - a bajillion times nicer to work with and perfectly dimensioned. The difference between HD lumber and the good stuff is like they come from different planets.

Edit: Oh, and don't use 4x4s for furniture construction - more prone to warping/twisting than usual 2x lumber.
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
WZ9V
Algae Grower

Those metal strong ties are available in a 2x2 format also. Framing it all in 2x2 would probably be strong enough but just not sure it would look as nice.

I'm going to check out the place that has cedar (like in the picture) in dimensional 2x4 form.

I have been considering just staining and varnishing regular pine 2x4. It would be cheaper. I just really like what that guy did for his reef tank.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I always liked stands like this, with open bases rather than a big clunky looking square box. But once you hookup all your plumbing etc you see everything. Although on the bright side, it's very easy access!
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
I always liked stands like this, with open bases rather than a big clunky looking square box. But once you hookup all your plumbing etc you see everything. Although on the bright side, it's very easy access!
But think about if you used the stainless mesh to cover the plumbing. Like the old decked out muscle show cars. Oh yeah baby.BaBAM!!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
WZ9V
Algae Grower

I'm still thinking on covered sides and front.

My thoughts so far are to put metal plates on the interior and then make panels with magnets to hold them on. Covered and yet removable for maintenance. On the reef tank forum I got this from, someone suggested diamond plate but it was thought to be taking the industrial look too far.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Type of Wood

I am adding some support to a new stand and have taken a look at several charts showing the strength of various types and cuts of wood. A 2x2 piece of red oak has more tensile, compression, lateral, every category, as compared to a typical pine 2x4.
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
I am adding some support to a new stand and have taken a look at several charts showing the strength of various types and cuts of wood. A 2x2 piece of red oak has more tensile, compression, lateral, every category, as compared to a typical pine 2x4.
That would also depend however on how the oak was cut. Quartersawn has the best grain and is the second most stable. Rift cut is the most stable and the strongest. It also has the straightest grain pattern. Plain sawn, as most 2x is cut has the least. HD and Lowes sell plain sawn oak.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
WZ9V
Algae Grower

Default Got wood ;-)

Scored some nice Cedar Fir 2x4 lumber at a real lumberyard. So the whole thing will be tremendously overbuilt with Simpson Strong Ties and Cedar Fir 2x4s.

Now I just have to read up on good ways to stain (Light Cherry) and finish with a Varnish or Poly finish.