Remodeling my fish room - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-26-2007, 05:13 AM   #16
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb View Post
Few Questions,

Did you buy just the frames for the gorilla racks? If so where, if not what did you do just take the shelf part out and keep the frame from it?

I really like the floodlight, that's a great price! I'm not too sure I would buy the IceCaps though, It seems like you are paying a lot of money for what you're getting, but I haven't used them personally and know you have so thats a personal choice. I think the shoplights from HomeDepot or Lowes are fine generally... But that's a personal opinion.

What plants are you going to be farming? That would mean the difference in lighting to me. I'm figuring that your going to be growing some highlight weeds so you're probably going to want the IceCaps, but for that much money can't you get some T5s?

It looks really nice so far!

-Andrew
Yea, I bought just the frames at Menards. BUY THE PART if you call the phone number on that page they will tell you where to get them in your area. Will be farming high light plants w/pressurized CO2, have the list on my home PC. I do not think T5s are available in 60" (five 20 long tanks side-by-side are 62.5").....DC
DiabloCanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #17
fish_lover0591
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591

wow this is going to be cool i might start a little emersed plant farm someday
Old 01-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #18
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Few Questions,
What plants are you going to be farming?
-Andrew
I will be farming these so far, probably others though depending on room.......DC

Ludwigia Inclinata
Rotala Macrandra
Ammania Gracilis
Ludwigia Inclinata var. 'Cuba'
Myriophyllum Tuberculatum
Rotala Wallichii
Potamogeton Gayi
Blyxa Japonica
Limnophila Aromatica
Alternanthera Reineckii
Old 01-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
vidiots
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots

I too want a fish room of my own someday soon. The only thing I question about your setup is the lack of space above your tanks. I was noticing in the pics where you were test fitting the tanks and saw only a few inches of clearance above the tank. Are you going to be able to get into the tank once it's full and be able to reach to the back?
vidiots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiots View Post
I too want a fish room of my own someday soon. The only thing I question about your setup is the lack of space above your tanks. I was noticing in the pics where you were test fitting the tanks and saw only a few inches of clearance above the tank. Are you going to be able to get into the tank once it's full and be able to reach to the back?
That is the current challenge, trying to shoehorn all the equipment in there and still be able to service the tank. I'm gonna pick the brains of some locals for ideas. I was thinking of making a light enclosure that rides on closet tracks but do not know if it will give enough clearance. May need to design a lifting lid system or something like that. I am thinking the back 4 - 6 inches of each tank will be equipment, i.e., sponge filters, heater, powerhead, CO2 diffuser, etc. I know I will have two 1" pvc manifolds, one for CO2 and one for air to drive sponge filters that run the length of the stand. Also need to consider power distribution. I have plenty of time to think it out and listen to ideas, really need to get my 46 drilled so I can get the rest of my Discus outta RMCs hair.....DC
Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #21
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine View Post
Yea, I bought just the frames at Menards. BUY THE PART if you call the phone number on that page they will tell you where to get them in your area. Will be farming high light plants w/pressurized CO2, have the list on my home PC. I do not think T5s are available in 60" (five 20 long tanks side-by-side are 62.5").....DC
That's nice to know, When I set up a rack I'll have to consider it for larger tanks!

I didn't notice the length you wanted was 5ft that's a odd length so you will probably end up paying extra..

Clearance might be a problem... What if yo made the lights like removable for maintenance?

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #22
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

I spent the morning putting tanks in the stand to try some things out. I need to get these tanks going to move fish around.

I am thinking those 65 watt 6500K floodlights might be the ticket. They seem bright enough.

I like the way they fit into the top frame of the tank.

I think using these lights will work and not take up much room, I sure can use the extra clearance.

Yup, think I will order 3 more of those floodlights, if they do not provide enough light I can always double them up. Looks like I have the lighting clearance problem solved.

These tanks will be stable enough to move fish into and I will concentrate on plumbing the air and CO2 next......DC

Old 01-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #23
A Hill
Sponsor

Those floodlights look great! And they're small enough to move to the back during maitenance right?

Looks like your next project should be to organize all your wires ...

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #24
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Those floodlights look great! And they're small enough to move to the back during maitenance right?

Looks like your next project should be to organize all your wires ...

-Andrew
Yup they move back and forth so I can get in the whole tank if need be....DC
Old 01-29-2007, 02:48 AM   #25
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Did some electrical work today. I mounted power strips above the tanks on some of the cross braces we made. I used 4 power strips.

2 of these are installed for the lights and heater. It has a digital timer that controls one bank and the other bank is constant power. If you have a Target in your area, hurry down they are on clearance for $9.99.

I use a fire shield power strip on every one of my tanks. One is installed on this rack and is used as the distribution point for the other power strips.

Here is one of the digital timers being used to control 2 lights and 2 heaters.

On the right is a digital timer strip, on the left is the fire shield. It has 3 power strips, the air pump, and the Diatom connected to it. (The Diatom is temporary, currently cleaning tanks.)

This is the air pump that will power the 10 sponge filters, I got it at JEHMCO Main . The last tank (#5) will be installed in this opening.

The first power strip from this angle is just a regular power strip with an 8-foot cord to reach the fire shield strip. This power strip will control the powerheads, I want to turn them all off during water changes. This is the easiest way to do that, can turn them all off at once with one switch.

I have an old air manifold temporarily connected to 6 sponge filters until I can get a new one made. I have eco in the middle tank where the Galaxy Rasboras and a RCS colony will go. The 2 right tanks have red soilmaster select (what's in my Heckel tank); one tank will be a Apistogramma agassizii harem, one tank will be a Apistogramma cacatuoides 'triple red' harem. The 2 left tanks will have a charcoal/onyx sand mix and may contain different strains of Endler's and Shrimp colonies. More to come.......DC
Old 01-29-2007, 02:55 AM   #26
fish_lover0591
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591

hmm i have a question what are you going to do about all the evaporation ?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 AM   #27
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_lover0591 View Post
hmm i have a question what are you going to do about all the evaporation ?
Crap, I forgot to repost my sliding glass top project. Here is the old thread when I came up with the idea http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ding+glass+top . I had my projects on a forum that got hacked, I reposted them all but that one. I will take more pics and post the how to again. It will be a little different with the floodlights. I have 600 gallons of water in the house, I have to keep all the tanks covered.........DC
Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 AM   #28
turbomkt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt

Quote:
I didn't notice the length you wanted was 5ft that's a odd length so you will probably end up paying extra..

Clearance might be a problem... What if yo made the lights like removable for maintenance?

-Andrew
Thinking about it...5 ft lights aren't really a must, are they? Either center the lights so the end tanks have 6 inches that don't get direct lights, or shift the lights to one end and have a short light goign forward and back above the end tank.
Eheim Pimp #41
turbomkt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #29
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomkt View Post
Thinking about it...5 ft lights aren't really a must, are they? Either center the lights so the end tanks have 6 inches that don't get direct lights, or shift the lights to one end and have a short light goign forward and back above the end tank.
With the tanks on the rack including some room between them the span is around 65 inches. I am going to try the floodlights. fish_lover0591 just sent me a PM he received that those lights overheat and burn out unless holes are cut in the case for a a fan. We will see I guess......DC
Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #30
A Hill
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine View Post
With the tanks on the rack including some room between them the span is around 65 inches. I am going to try the floodlights. fish_lover0591 just sent me a PM he received that those lights overheat and burn out unless holes are cut in the case for a a fan. We will see I guess......DC
Yeah, I don't think you would have a problem modding them though...

I might get some of them sooner or later...

-Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.