2 1/2lb or 5lb CO2 tank???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-13-2002, 10:30 PM   #1
cvarcher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Given a choice of these two sizes I found,would the 2 1/2lb tank last enough for a 15gal tank?And if I decide to upgrade to a 50gal tank later?This is assuming a fairly well planted tank.Just how long would a 2 1/2 or 5 lb.tank last on such a size fish tank?
cvarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2002, 11:15 PM   #2
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are planning on upgrading to a 50 gallon (or anything above a 25 gallon), I woulg highly reccomend the 5 lb tank. If I am right, it doesn't cost much more, but it lasts twice as long, so in the long run you save money. A 2.5 lb tank would be fine for your 15 gallon, but a 5 lb would be ideal for a 50 gallon tank.

-Tim
Old 12-14-2002, 01:44 AM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Go for the biggest tank you can hide and you can afford. The bigger the tank, the more bang for the buck.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 06:12 PM   #4
lanstar
Planted Member

Maybe I can help save you a little money in the long run. The biggest three problems I ever encountered with my CO2 system were:

1. Leaks
2. Leaks
and
3. Leaks!

Every connector and fitting is a potential source of a leak. Some tubing is very permeable to CO2.

After finding and fixing all the leaks in my system, I've increased the time a CO2 bottle lasts by more than 500%!

Here's some if the things I did on my "leak quest." -

I found that the bubble counter had a leak around the stem where one of the hoses hooks on. Fixed it with epoxy cement.

I found a leak in the needle valve where one of the hose barb fittings screws on. Fixed it with teflon tape on the threads.

I found that the inexpensive plastic air-line check valve I bought had a leak around a seam. I replaced it with a metal check valve designed for CO2 that had barbs with little hex nuts. You slide the nut over the tubing, place the tubing on the barb, and then slide the nut up and tighten it to make a good seal.

I found that the washers you place between the CO2 cylinder and the regulator do not last forever. They need to be replaced. I bought a bag of fiber washers from the welding shop where I get the tank refilled. 6 washers for $1.49. I now put in a new washer and leak check this connection every time I change the bottle.

Probably 1/3rd or more of my CO2 loss was NOT due to any of the things above. It was due to the silicone tubing I was using. The CO2 was passing right through the walls of the tubing. Aquarium air-line tubing is about as bad, or perhaps worse than silicone tubing. I replaced the silicone tubing with "CO2-proof" tubing from marine-monsters.com.

You can get CO2 "leak test" solution that changes colors in the presence of CO2 and apply it to the fittings/threads with something like an eye-dropper or small artist's paint brush. Look for this stuff at the welding shop or at a beverage supply company. Soapy water will do for finding "large" leaks... paint/drip it on the connection and look for bubbles.

I'm serious when I say that probably about 80% of the CO2 I was using was escaping into the atmosphere when I first set the system up.

Here's another CO2 hint:

The CO2 in the bottle is mostly liquid. (Which means it is important to leave the bottle upright.) The high pressure gauge on the regulator will read the same, so long as there is ANY liquid left in the bottle. The high pressure gauge only starts to drop when the bottle is already "empty" (i.e. all the liquid CO2 is gone).

If you have a good scale, you can get some idea as to how much CO2 you really have left by weighing a full bottle (with the regulator and everything hooked up) and then weighing it later to see how much lighter it has gotten. If you've got a 10 lb bottle, and the weight has gone down by 5 lbs, you've used up about 1/2 of your CO2.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 12-15-2002, 10:44 PM   #5
cvarcher
Algae Grower

This will help all those that have pressurized gas .Thanks for providing all those trouble spots.
cvarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 01:47 AM   #6
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good info Tim, I now have it saved for future reference.
Thanks
:hehe:
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:45 AM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great info, something I should pass onto santa if he really doesn't know what to do.... Great info for everyone.

About Marine Monsters, how was your service with them, the review here wasn't too good, but I would like to order some stuff from them.

-Tim
Old 12-17-2002, 06:03 AM   #8
lanstar
Planted Member

Tim, it took forever to get my order.

I placed it right before they (marine monsters) underwent their "reorganization." After several weeks, they e-mailed me asking if I still wanted the items I'd ordered. I said I did. The stuff arrived about 4 days later.

When the items finally arrived, they were what I'd ordered and at the correct price.

Now that they are back in business, I have no idea how they are to deal with. I only ordered those initial items (some "CO2 Proof" tubing and the CO2 check valve) from them. I haven't had a need to do business with them since.

Sorry I can't be more informative...

Take care...

Tim
Old 12-17-2002, 07:17 PM   #9
oyashare
Algae Grower

hi guys. I was nervous ordering from marine monsters, but after I read that I NEED the co2 proof tubing, I went ahead and ordered it last night from them. to my surprise, it came TODAY!!! I live in so california, so i just wanted to share that with you guys, it looks like they are better now.

Omid
oyashare is offline   Reply With Quote